Everyone forgets how young we are | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Everyone forgets how young we are

Yes, he did. The coaching staff didn't know what was going on until late August.
Maybe officially.
It was now the second hour and the subject of depth prompted me to call back in and ask if JB might depart from his traditional policy of not using all available scholarships so we could absorb the defections and injuries and still have enough depth to do what we want. JB: “We only have eleven scholarships. We had to be careful with them. We finished our recruiting unsure of what Tyler Lydon was going to do. Then Thompson left at the end of the spring.

ETA: I don't think there's a huge difference in what they could have done, but there is a distinction between end of spring and right before classes started. There were still some grad transfers out there that may have been brought in for an extra body. But not all grad transfers good so it's probably a wash anyway.

Last edited:
Have we ever not seen guys who come in as freshmen and have to adjust to college ball and not play that well, only to make massive strides as sophomores? You're right--Moyer WON'T be inexperienced next year. He'll have 20 or so games of starting experience under his belt, the experience of ups-and-downs throughout the course of the season, as well as some games where he had some solid success scoring. He'll then have the opportunity to be healthy this offseason, unlike last year, and concentrate on working on certain parts of his game to show more diversified / expanded capabilities next year.

If he comes back next season and is the same exact player, then you'll have a point. I'm guessing that he won't. And even so, he STILL might see a reduced role next year, due to Brissett / Bazley getting the bulk of PT at forward next year. Moyer's job is to be a quality reserve, and give the team better offensive production in limited minutes. That is well within the realm of possibility.

Fair enough. I guess I'm just somewhat miffed that he has been with the team for two years, practicing, the off season last year, etc. and it appears he couldn't hit a 10-12 footer to save his life. At this level and at his position, I just don't get it. It would make more sense to me if he could hit that shot, but unless he's open, he never really gets to display that since he obviously can't create anything for himself, etc. That doesn't appear to be the case though.

Maybe officially.

Thompson "left" Syracuse to go home -- that's different from quitting the program.

We as fans might have seen the writing on the wall when TT went radio silent as summer dragged on, and the coaches did, as well. But they still believed that they could reel him back in. What happened was highly unusual.

And the end result wasn't something that caused the coaches to give up until late August. When he left in the spring, it wasn't believed that he was quitting. When the communications went dark, the coaches tried to reel him back in. The issue was that he went incommunicado, and then it just got to the point at the end where he pocket vetoed returning, and the coaches were left holding the bag.

Thompson "left" Syracuse to go home -- that's different from leaving the program.
OK, if that's what you get out of that quote from Boeheim, then sure.

OK, if that's what you get out of that quote from Boeheim, then sure.

Did Thompson let the coaches know that he was quitting the team when he went home after spring semester? The answer is "no" -- and if you believe otherwise, then sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom