Everyone is pointing at Maryland | Syracusefan.com

Everyone is pointing at Maryland

cuseguy

Living Legend
But I think Rutgers played a large role in this.

Of course. Tim Pernetti was a great hire as Rutgers Athletic Director. I think this has been in the works for a long time.

I always thought that Virginia or Maryland would be good matches for the big 10.

Maryland is now and has been in a stable conference. They have a funding problem because Maryland State law doesn't allow them to tap into General Funds. (Rutgers, for example, balances their books by robbing $26M from the University General Fund and by taxing the students)

If it weren't for the money, Maryland would never consider it. Everybody else --- fans, boosters, alumni, the local press --- is going to be against this.

Rutgers is in a completely different situation. They are bleeding money even after eliminating several sports teams. They have a miniscule fan base they would like to grow. And they are now stuck in the latest version of C-USA. They have every incentive to want to move.

There's going to be a HUGE fight at Maryland over this. I'm betting at the end of the day, they don't accept a B1G offer if one is even extended.

I think if Maryland is offered they bolt. They have too. It's just too much $$$ to turn down.

And as i said last night, God Bless Rutgers if they get an invite. I know we all hate them and we all like to joke around at their expense but if they somehow move their way into the Big 10 it is simply amazing. 10 years ago they were viewed as a total joke on every level when it came to college athletics and now they are gonna be in the richest conference in the land making big money playing with the big boys! Gotta at the very least tip your cap to them and give them credit!

Other than doing a mighty fine job defining its borders and securing some beautiful ocean front views in the 16 & 1700s, I can't see what they did other than being available.

When nd signed up, the ACC should've offered rutgers right then. Put the 16th in place and lock up the Atlantic and NYC in particular.

Epic.

Fail.

They should offer this morning. Kill this deal.

I think if Md gets offered they will go... which is sad. Because from their perspective you have cash on one side of the scale, and every other consideration on the other, and cash wins out.

Other than doing a mighty fine job defining its borders and securing some beautiful ocean front views in the 16 & 1700s, I can't see what they did other than being available.

When nd signed up, the ACC should've offered rutgers right then. Put the 16th in place and lock up the Atlantic and NYC in particular.

Epic.

Fail.

They should offer this morning. Kill this deal.

Yes and no. The "football" schools FSU and Clemson would not be happy about adding rutty even with the addition of nd.

Yes and no. The "football" schools FSU and Clemson would not be happy about adding rutty even with the addition of nd.
Why? Are they afraid they will lose?

They likely already recruit in jersey. This would be good for them too.

Why? Are they afraid they will lose?

They likely already recruit in jersey. This would be good for them too.

Talk to the people there and get a read on what they think about football...they want football schools that have the same priorities they do. Rutgers does not fit that bill, it's all about phallic football to them.

I think if Md gets offered they will go... which is sad. Because from their perspective you have cash on one side of the scale, and every other consideration on the other, and cash wins out.

If the Maryland booster club -- The 8000 member Terrapin Club --- witholds its contribution then it will zero out any benefit UMCP gets from the B1G.

If the Maryland booster club -- The 8000 member Terrapin Club --- witholds its contribution then it will zero out any benefit UMCP gets from the B1G.
Hope you're right...but it smells like this is all but done.

Hope you're right...but it smells like this is all but done.

At Maryland nothing is ever done until all the interested factions are heard from and heard from and heard from. There's is going to be a huge fistfight over this.

I think if Maryland is offered they bolt. They have too. It's just too much $$$ to turn down.

And as i said last night, God Bless Rutgers if they get an invite. I know we all hate them and we all like to joke around at their expense but if they somehow move their way into the Big 10 it is simply amazing. 10 years ago they were viewed as a total joke on every level when it came to college athletics and now they are gonna be in the richest conference in the land making big money playing with the big boys! Gotta at the very least tip your cap to them and give them credit!
bout time someone up there gets it ---but it is probably too late and has cost us dearly for 1o-15yrs

Maryland is now and has been in a stable conference. They have a funding problem because Maryland State law doesn't allow them to tap into General Funds. (Rutgers, for example, balances their books by robbing $26M from the University General Fund and by taxing the students)

If it weren't for the money, Maryland would never consider it. Everybody else --- fans, boosters, alumni, the local press --- is going to be against this.

Rutgers is in a completely different situation. They are bleeding money even after eliminating several sports teams. They have a miniscule fan base they would like to grow. And they are now stuck in the latest version of C-USA. They have every incentive to want to move.

There's going to be a HUGE fight at Maryland over this. I'm betting at the end of the day, they don't accept a B1G offer if one is even extended.
Aren't you the one that has assured us over and over the Big Ten would never take Rutgers

Simple Question: If Maryland has no cash, how do they plan to handle the ACC $50 mil buyout leave clause?

Any chance this is just a bluff by MD to squeeze some more money out of the ACC?

If Maryland and the girls are Delany's top candidates for expansion it seems funny that there are so many rumors. Delany plays it very close to the vest. Could he be applying pressure to the schools he really covets?

If Maryland and the girls are Delany's top candidates for expansion it seems funny that there are so many rumors. Delany plays it very close to the vest. Could he be applying pressure to the schools he really covets?

Could be in Rutgers case, but those schools are ACC schools as well. So, it still isn't good news.

Cheers,
Neil

Simple Question: If Maryland has no cash, how do they plan to handle the ACC $50 mil buyout leave clause?

They don't think it would cost them $50 mill. They think through a lawsuit that the amount could be significantly reduce.

But if it's $5.00 they'll have to get it from somewhere.

The greatest problem will be getting everyone on board.

Aren't you the one that has assured us over and over the Big Ten would never take Rutgers

They haven't yet. Save your crowing until something actually happens.

Well, he recently said he was going to divest himself of some stock, which according to this article would net him close to $65 million. :bang:

http://m.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2012/11/13/under-armour-ceo-kevin-plank-selling.html?r=full

Cheers,
Neil

Who says Kevin Plank even wants Maryland to go the B1G?

He's a local guy. He went to Maryland and played all those ACC schools. If anybody is dialed in to Maryland's "tradition" its a guy like Plank.

He may be a guy to veto the move.

Who says Kevin Plank even wants Maryland to go th the ACC. He's a local guy. He went to Maryland and played all thiose ACC schools.

He may be a guy to veto the move.

Do you truly think this would get so far as an actual presentation taking place at the Maryland Board of Regents if Plank was opposed to it? At worse, UA is neutral in terms of it.

Cheers,
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom