Everyone is pointing at Maryland | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Everyone is pointing at Maryland

Do you truly think this would get so far as an actual presentation taking place at the Maryland Board of Regents if Plank was opposed to it? At worse, UA is neutral in terms of it.

Cheers,
Neil
Actually, I can easily see it.

Remember, Notre Dame went all the way through the process including a vote by the Faculty in favor of joining the Big Ten. But ND decided not to go when faced with all the pressure from fan groups.

The AD is looking for a magic pill to get out from under financial pressures.

But the has to bring along a lot of groups with him.

I doubt if anyone has asked Plank yet.

Isn't that true at any school? Has any booster club threaten to do that or actually done it with any of the other zillion moves?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
It's not true to the extent it is at Maryland because --- and I keep saying this but it somehow doesn't sink in --- Maryland has to have the Terp Club money because the State law does not allow the school to use General Fund money for athletics. If those funds dry up, Maryland can't have an athletic program.

So the Terrapin Club has inordinate power.

The whole episode with the firing of Drissell's replacement, Bob Wade is a case in point. The President and the AD thought Wade would be ideal. The Terrapin Club didn't like the idea.

18 months later, Wade was fired, the AD was fired and the President was effectively fired.

Isn't that true at any school? Has any booster club threaten to do that or actually done it with any of the other zillion moves?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The Terrapin Club doesn't have to zero the contribution out. If enough individual members are pissed off, the contribution could be millions of dollars less.

These contributions aren't optional for the Maryland Athletic Department. They have to have them to balance their books.

And based on the sample of Terrapin Club members I know personally, I can tell you this will go over like an absolute lead balloon.

When Lefty Driesell was forced out, the AD and Chancellor hired a high school coach from Baltimore, Bob Wade, to replace him and that infuriated many Terp Club members. The Club systematically went about getting all three of these guys fired.

The huge recruiting state of Texas. I realize that the female Governor (name escapes me) got the Big 12 to take them and there are too many teams from Texas in the conference. I know it's a long shot and probably not going to happen but this would also please ND as well, they love going to Texas.

OK, they'd bring recruiting in Texas.. now that might only matter for 2-3 schools in the ACC, but it'd be a plus for some. But again, why would Baylor ever want to be in the ACC? The only possible answer is that they fear the Big 12 collapsing and them being totally left out in the dark. Still, that wouldn't make them happy in the ACC, only less unhappy. That means they'd always be looking for the exit.

Next thing you know, the SEC is grabbing Baylor and FSU, or something along those lines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom