Everyone is pointing at Maryland | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Everyone is pointing at Maryland

If Maryland and the girls are Delany's top candidates for expansion it seems funny that there are so many rumors. Delany plays it very close to the vest. Could he be applying pressure to the schools he really covets?

He's like Buffalo Bill on Silence of the Lambs...he still covets what is close and his first attempt at expansion...the Irish.

If he is willing to give MD so much money then why in the hell hasn't he doen it in the past to cover the deficits they have had? This whole MD to the B1G defies logic.

I'm not saying that is what he will do with his money. But the timing of it stinks. I still believe the real fight will be in the Maryland BOR. But not being familiar with Maryland politics, I have no idea how that will go.

Cheers,
Neil

If he is willing to give MD so much money then why in the hell hasn't he doen it in the past to cover the deficits they have had? This whole MD to the B1G defies logic.

It really does defy logic.

I simply think that if your alumni don't support it then long term you're going to have a problem. You can't just cash the big10 check and think that everything is going to be ok. attendance will suffer worse than it already does and that's bread and butter income. Even when you stink fans buy tickets b/c of rivalries.

Is the CIS really that big of a thing? It seems like a lot of money to turn down as well for the academic side of this.

Rutgers is one of the leftovers. Conferences are turning into super conferences. It's like a game of playground football with 5 captains, and Rutgers got picked after Syracuse.

:)

If I were the ACC...I'd go: "Mr. FSU + Mrs. Clemson who would you like us to select left standing on the gym wall?"

The conference stays together as long as FSU and to less extent Clemson stays. UNC is still the most powerful school in the league but this is about Football and FSU is our King and Clemson is our Queen.

If Maryland and the girls are Delany's top candidates for expansion it seems funny that there are so many rumors. Delany plays it very close to the vest. Could he be applying pressure to the schools he really covets?
He's never done that before. :eek:

If I were the ACC...I'd go: "Mr. FSU + Mrs. Clemson who would you like us to select left standing on the gym wall?"

The conference stays together as long as FSU and to less extent Clemson stays. UNC is still the most powerful school in the league but this is about Football and FSU is our King and Clemson is our Queen.

I agree. Even put some feelers out for PSU and some Big 12 schools.

I agree. Even put some feelers out for PSU and some Big 12 schools.

Which Big 12 schools? One thing I like about the ACC is that it still has its geographical integrity. I think at some point, when things begin to stabilize, that's going to matter - and the potential to control most/all of the East Coast media markets could matter too. If the ACC landed a Big 12 school, they'd probably always have one eye toward the exit just because it wouldn't be much fun to make that many trips to play on the East Coast and there would always be a more attractive destination.

I would only truly be interested in: Notre Dame, UConn, Rutgers, Temple and Penn State. If you get Notre Dame as a full member, you could consider Cinci or Louisville, but I think if you get ND it may mean you already have PSU, so you're set at that point with 16.

If you lose Maryland, I think you grab up one of the others on that list and make a hard play for PSU. Losing Maryland, media wise, is not a big deal. In football, Va Tech delivers the DC/Baltimore area as much, if not a lot more, than Maryland does anyway.

They have, and don't forget the SEC..

I know this sounds crazy but I've always had a feeling that Tennessee would be interested in the jump. I realize that Vandy is the better fit on paper but the Vols would be something FSU, Clemson and ND would like to have join (obvious I know).

Which Big 12 schools? One thing I like about the ACC is that it still has its geographical integrity. I think at some point, when things begin to stabilize, that's going to matter - and the potential to control most/all of the East Coast media markets could matter too. If the ACC landed a Big 12 school, they'd probably always have one eye toward the exit just because it wouldn't be much fun to make that many trips to play on the East Coast and there would always be a more attractive destination.

I would only truly be interested in: Notre Dame, UConn, Rutgers, Temple and Penn State. If you get Notre Dame as a full member, you could consider Cinci or Louisville, but I think if you get ND it may mean you already have PSU, so you're set at that point with 16.

If you lose Maryland, I think you grab up one of the others on that list and make a hard play for PSU. Losing Maryland, media wise, is not a big deal. In football, Va Tech delivers the DC/Baltimore area as much, if not a lot more, than Maryland does anyway.

I'd look at Baylor.

I think if Maryland is offered they bolt. They have too. It's just too much $$$ to turn down.

And as i said last night, God Bless Rutgers if they get an invite. I know we all hate them and we all like to joke around at their expense but if they somehow move their way into the Big 10 it is simply amazing. 10 years ago they were viewed as a total joke on every level when it came to college athletics and now they are gonna be in the richest conference in the land making big money playing with the big boys! Gotta at the very least tip your cap to them and give them credit!

Rutger's potential winfall has nothing to do with their athletic programs, but everything to do with location, location, location. They are that 875 sq. ft. condo that costs $600k strictly & solely because of where it's located. I'm not sure you can give them too much credit for that...or their opportunist realtor...

I'd look at Baylor.

That just doesn't make much sense to me. Is Baylor ever going to be happy in the ACC? They'd always be looking to exit, and how much more do they really bring the conference than any of the schools in the Northeast?

Honestly, I'm just really intrigued on if Maryland actually makes the move or not. Their alumni has reacted in a way that I think surprised the university. They are all pissed about the move. Did you all read what Len Elmore said? He went off on the school. I'm truly curious to see if they take the offer because it is going to be an uphill battle for the university to get it agreed upon.

Rutger's potential winfall has nothing to do with their athletic programs, but everything to do with location, location, location. They are that 875 sq. ft. condo that costs $600k strictly & solely because of where it's located. I'm not sure you can give them too much credit for that...or their opportunist realtor...
Give them credit and this has far more to do with than just location. If Rutgers was a total joke of a sports program they wouldn't be considered. Period! They have built up a little something and obviously just enough to maybe get them into the Big 10.

Having trouble envisioning Maryland in anything but the ACC, at least culturally. Their president isn't a traditionalist, but it seems the regents would find the change hard to approve. It's not trending locally as a popular move.

Part of the article about Elmore:

"Elmore expressed concern that the decision was driven exclusively by Athletic Director Kevin Anderson and university President Wallace Loh, neither of whom have “had any real affinity with Maryland pride.” Anderson became Maryland’s athletic director in 2010 after spending six years at Army, while Loh has Big Ten ties, having earned a doctorate from the University of Michigan. He also was provost at the University of Iowa before he was named Maryland’s president in 2010.

“This is not a decision solely to be made by the athletic director or the president,” Elmore said. “This thing is moving so quickly, I can’t see how they consulted members of the constituency.”

Give them credit and this has far more to do with than just location. If Rutgers was a total joke of a sports program they wouldn't be considered. Period! They have built up a little something and obviously just enough to maybe get them into the Big 10.

That's your opinion, I diplomatically disagree. You could easily argue that many schools have built more, but are not a consideration. Don't kid yourself, this has everything to do with location and the presumed marketshare that Rutger's and Jersey and vicinity captures for the B1G.

That's your opinion, I diplomatically disagree. You could easily argue that many schools have built more, but are not a consideration. Don't kid yourself, this has everything to do with location and the presumed marketshare that Rutger's and Jersey and vicinity captures for the B1G.
And what you said is your opinion... :rolleyes: !! I didn't say location didn't play some role, but its not the only factor. It's just once piece of the puzzle. Just one!

That just doesn't make much sense to me. Is Baylor ever going to be happy in the ACC? They'd always be looking to exit, and how much more do they really bring the conference than any of the schools in the Northeast?

The huge recruiting state of Texas. I realize that the female Governor (name escapes me) got the Big 12 to take them and there are too many teams from Texas in the conference. I know it's a long shot and probably not going to happen but this would also please ND as well, they love going to Texas.

If the Maryland booster club -- The 8000 member Terrapin Club --- witholds its contribution then it will zero out any benefit UMCP gets from the B1G.

Isn't that true at any school? Has any booster club threaten to do that or actually done it with any of the other zillion moves?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Isn't that true at any school? Has any booster club threaten to do that or actually done it with any of the other zillion moves?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Has there been a majority of a fanbase recently that didn't want to make the move?

Colorado to Pac - alumni all over California, they wanted it
Nebraska to Big Ten - Husker fans wanted it
A&M to SEC - Aggie fans wanted it
Pitt and SU to ACC - anything better than Big East
Mizzou - they really wanted the Big Ten, so maybe here?

Cheers,
Neil

Turtle fans have to feel like the guys they're paying to fly the plane are hijackers. Sleeper agents.

From the clown uniforms to forcing out popular coaches to cutting programs, it's like they're unrecognizable.

Fascinating. This may not be good for us, but I'd really hate to be them.

This would be a nice trip for the big 10 teams fans...Maryland/DC and NYC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom