Excited For Next 2 Years | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Excited For Next 2 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• AB7D639F-D14F-42FA-AF30-D19706697C26.gif
    AB7D639F-D14F-42FA-AF30-D19706697C26.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 94
As of right now we’ve added an average Ivy League player, and two guys who couldn’t get off the bench at Big East schools while loosing 3 starters and our two best guys off the bench.

Are you guys high?
You are assuming guys who played here would have played at Nova and Marquette.

Bees, I've been on this board since the late 90s and recently this group of anti's is positively prodigious (some of them with tens of thousands of posts). If they hate the program so much they should go root for Rutgers.
It's okay to dislike Boeheim, Boeheim's kids, every point guard we've ever had since Sherman Douglas; but do they need to say it over and over and over again. The pounding that Girard is taking is weird coming from grown adults.
Agreed. I’ve been lurking on here and the previous iterations for 20 years and You hit the nail on the head.

It’s easy to keep confidence when you know you aren’t getting replaced as the starting point guard no matter how bad you do
923D875B-6916-4597-9478-8569D549DE6E.gif

I'm very excited for next year but in today's college bball you need to take it a year at a time. It's very likely Benny could be one and done we lose Buddy and who knows who transfers.

There were times this year where you could just see the confidence drained from JG. I agree he’s not the fastest kid. He’s not the most athletic. He isn’t the tallest. He doesn’t have the greatest handle. But he is a competitor. A kid that will just keep coming back again and again. When his confidence failed - which happens to lots of players at various times in their careers - it took away his greatest edge. A kid who is blessed with the ability to jump through the roof will always have that to lean on even if things aren’t going well for him. JG has his competitive spirit. That’s tough to rely on when your confidence is faltering. It becomes more evident when you start trying to do too much, or when your shortcomings (almost every player has some) are exposed.

I am expecting a healthier JG to come back after an offseason of working on his game, more confident with his edge back. Still believe his best spot is off the ball, but I expect he will rotate between the two guard spots. With more shooters, he will have some options to pass to. But getting in the lane will be difficult for him again if we can’t find some legitimate inside threats.

I think he may have too much confidence. No one makes those wild passes or takes those long range shots thinking they're going to turn the ball over. He believes that he's capable of making those passes and long range shots every time.

Perhaps he has more confidence than ability.

With the addition of Cole Swider and Symir Torrence along with Benny Williams and Jimmy Boeheim, I am really excited for the next two years. In the transfers, Coach has added developed men to the program who have a physical presence as as well as I suspect lunch pail maturity. Marry it up with the returning players you should have a group that is laser focused on the task at hand and the right blend of craftiness, moxie, intuitive sense of where to be and where to next move, length, size, strength, role, desire, plus we have the secret weapon...Coach's big brain and strategic approach to the game and the season. There is a reason why Coach has never had a losing season.

Enjoy the next two years. I suspect it is going to be special and that senior night 2023 will be sending off all three Boeheims. This will be the crowning glory of a glorious career.

(And then the Autry era will begin (which I am fully supportive of for scores of reasons)...but we can save that for another thread).
Very nice informative post and I agree, definitely gonna be an exciting time and a big lift very quickly after kaday bolted with the 2 transfers came in but 1 question, why Autry?
Not a challenge or disagreement I just wanna know what it is about him . I'm gonna start doing some research on these guys I wanna know who the potential successor should be as well but I'd like to hear your opinion too

True. And all the same, it’s been a really long time since we had a “complete” team.

Felt like we were getting closer last year.

Right now I feel like we’re going back the other way a bit.

Hope we can reel in and keep a strong 2022 class.
That is true! I think the special piece to the zone is a good competent center and now we have that. Potentially 2 depending on what happens in the future, With that guy in there I feel good about what this team can do because the top teams in the past those cuse teams, top 5 had a good center as an anchor

You are assuming guys who played here would have played at Nova and Marquette.
Nova I would kinda get....

I like both pick ups, I really do, but we’re a far worse team than last year and it’s mind boggling to me how people think we’re much better.

It’s easy to keep confidence when you know you aren’t getting replaced as the starting point guard no matter how bad you do

They went 11-2 when Joe played 29 or more. Something like 6-7 when playing 26 or less.

Why make a change?

Bees, I've been on this board since the late 90s and recently this group of anti's is positively prodigious (some of them with tens of thousands of posts). If they hate the program so much they should go root for Rutgers.
It's okay to dislike Boeheim, Boeheim's kids, every point guard we've ever had since Sherman Douglas; but do they need to say it over and over and over again. The pounding that Girard is taking is weird coming from grown adults.
It is really not about Joe, it is about Boeheim giving Joe excess minutes and the resultant damage of driving off the best PG prospect we have had in quite awhile. If Joe was put in his proper role and we still had Kadary nobody would be making these criticisms, which have arisen out of fan frustration due to the fact that the coach is blinded to what everybody else sees is obvious on the court.

I agree it is too bad that Joe has to take the brunt of this.

Great post. I share the excitement.

Surprised to see there are board members frustrated about Kadary’s departure, hadn’t really seen much of that.

They went 11-2 when Joe played 29 or more. Something like 6-7 when playing 26 or less.

Why make a change?
So the team won games when Joe played well and lost games when Joe played poorly.

Why make a change? The answer is pretty obvious so you can compete for a national championship.

Point guard is only the most important position in college hoops.
Why try to get better.
2019- Ty Jerome first round draft pick.
2018- Jalen Brunson second round draft pick
2017- Joel Berry/Marcus Paige UNC

Point guard play matters if you want to be good.
Joe Girard is underclassmen who is a shooting guard playing point guard.
He would be a championship level 3rd guard.
We aren’t winning a NC with him as a staring point guard playing out of position.

If you don’t get the frustration it’s because you don’t care to look at college basketball and see the point guard play across the nation.

Joe Girard is a player that would help this team to be competitive. Too bad the HC doesn’t have an actual point guard on the roster.

We have a kid playing his butt off out of position having to man the position.

All that is true - point guard is an important position,
So is center, and winning teams usually have good inside scoring, rim protection & defensive rebounding. And so on, for other positions.

Some winning teams make up for weakness at one spot with what they have elsewhere — as Houston did to overcome the lack of a true center. We might have to do something like that, with gains at the other spots offsetting the loss of Kadary.

So the team won games when Joe played well and lost games when Joe played poorly.

Why make a change? The answer is pretty obvious so you can compete for a national championship.

Point guard is only the most important position in college hoops.
Why try to get better.
2019- Ty Jerome first round draft pick.
2018- Jalen Brunson second round draft pick
2017- Joel Berry/Marcus Paige UNC

Point guard play matters if you want to be good.
Joe Girard is underclassmen who is a shooting guard playing point guard.
He would be a championship level 3rd guard.
We aren’t winning a NC with him as a staring point guard playing out of position.

If you don’t get the frustration it’s because you don’t care to look at college basketball and see the point guard play across the nation.

Joe Girard is a player that would help this team to be competitive. Too bad the HC doesn’t have an actual point guard on the roster.

We have a kid playing his butt off out of position having to man the position.

Why bother?

If JGIII is the right guy, we'll be totally fine next year.

I'll try to organize this as I write, but just some thoughts on the current roster/assumed additions/subtractions:
  • Girard - Just doesn't really provide much right now outside of some spacing when he's off the ball. Isn't a guy that can break the defense down and create for others. Takes too many bad shots and doesn't shoot a good percentage in general at any level of the court. Just too small and unathletic to be an effective defender. If he could focus on just one or two things this offseason, I would like to see him focus on the two-man game. With his long-range shooting and ineffective finishing inside, he should have opportunities to get his man trailing behind him as he comes off screens and I'd like to see him get better at putting that guy in jail; shielding him behind him so he can methodically probe the defense and force the big man to commit to him or get back to the screener. If Joe can learn a floater game, this would theoretically be an effective play for him, and maybe the only real effective play for him as a PG.
  • Buddy - Really excited to see him next year. He had been pretty inconsistent in his SU career but things finally clicked over the 2nd half of the year and he was awesome. He should be studying tape of Khris Middleton IMO; that's the model for how he can turn into a college star despite relatively poor ball-handling and athleticism.
  • Cole Swider - I'd expect him to be utilized similarly to Tyler Lydon on the offensive end. I'm confident he'll shoot it well but he's also physically stronger than you might think when you compare him to Lydon. He'll have some matchups here and there that he'll be able to push around on his slow drives to the basket. It'll be interesting to see how he fares in our defense.
  • Jesse - Never been high on him, but he showed some promising flashes in the last few games, particularly on the defensive end. Hopefully he continues to develop and turns into a reliable starting big man.
  • Jimmy Boeheim - Don't know enough to really comment on him yet but seems like he might be an alright piece off the bench.
  • Symir - Not expecting much, but we'll see.
  • We're likely losing what I would say is 4 of our top 5 players from this past season. That's uh...not ideal. Fortunately it sounds like Benny is a stud and I think Cole Swider will be good, but still, that's a lot of talent to replace and with basically all of our minutes spoken for already, it doesn't seem like we'll be able to replace it and will instead have to hope for internal development.
  • We still technically have a lot of scholarships still available to add more talent, but as I mentioned, it seems like our minutes are likely spoken for already so not sure we'll have much more success pitching to transfers. Guess we will see.

All that is true - point guard is an important position,
So is center, and winning teams usually have good inside scoring, rim protection & defensive rebounding. And so on, for other positions.

Some winning teams make up for weakness at one spot with what they have elsewhere — as Houston did to overcome the lack of a true center. We might have to do something like that, with gains at the other spots offsetting the loss of Kadary.
Jesse Edwards won’t give us offensively that much.
He doesn’t really have too either as long as he plays defense and can finish dunks.

Expecting scoring from the center position next year is a pure gamble.

If we had a good point guard with our players at the 2-5 positions we could compete for a conference and national title.

Point guard play is our major weakness to compete with the top teams.

Why bother?

If JGIII is the right guy, we'll be totally fine next year.
I bother because they guy attacks low hanging fruit and I won’t let that go.
I probably should but can’t.
It’s ridiculous the point being made.

I can’t stand how some fans want to recalibrate expectations without admitting we aren’t what we were.

If people accept we aren’t going to be a top team anymore and just want to enjoy being a plucky underdog that can do damage in March then just say it.

Then i won’t have the standard this team should be a top 25 team in the regular season and finishing top 4 in the conference fairly regularly. Not every season but every other.

Jesse Edwards won’t give us offensively that much.
He doesn’t really have too either as long as he plays defense and can finish dunks.

Expecting scoring from the center position next year is a pure gamble.

If we had a good point guard with our players at the 2-5 positions we could compete for a conference and national title.

Point guard play is our major weakness to compete with the top teams.
IMO, Jesse will be pretty good on offense.

I watched our comical attempts to break WVU’s press that were easily solved by one substitution.

He’s a good player with limitations. At this point I’m concerned at the team’s passing ability and our ability to handle the ball against pressure for next year. I don’t think we’ve adequately replaced Kadary and Marek in that regard, and I’m frightened at how we’ll do against teams that have the athletes to get after it.
Funny I thought about that exact same sequence.

I bother because they guy attacks low hanging fruit and I won’t let that go.
I probably should but can’t.
It’s ridiculous the point being made.

I can’t stand how some fans want to recalibrate expectations without admitting we aren’t what we were.

If people accept we aren’t going to be a top team anymore and just want to enjoy being a plucky underdog that can do damage in March then just say it.

Then i won’t have the standard this team should be a top 25 team in the regular season and finishing top 4 in the conference fairly regularly. Not every season but every other.
You seem to have a high regard for the expectation level of our fanbase. What makes you think that we become a better program by having fans expect more? Is there a correlation between high expectations of non-participants and the success of teams in college BB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom