Exciting win, but concerns | Syracusefan.com

Exciting win, but concerns

swish7

All Conference
Overall feeling great.. just a few stats that jumped out at me..

Outrebounded by 12. A guard was our best rebounder. Copeland had the most rebounds / minute. I wish he was the 7 footer.
Took 8 more attempts to match Colgate's 9 3s. Bell shot 14 3s. Be nice if he could be a tinch more selective. He was 3-5 from 2.
9 of 9 Colgate players scored to 7 of 9 Syracuse players.
5 of 9 Colgate players had assists to 3 of 9 Syracuse players.
We had 5 fewer PFs, at home. Maybe a difference in the game..

We may have found a defensive identity. We still need an offensive identity.

Outrebounded by 12. A guard was our best rebounder. Copeland had the most rebounds / minute. I wish he was the 7 footer.
Took 8 more attempts to match Colgate's 9 3s. Bell shot 14 3s. Be nice if he could be a tinch more selective. He was 3-5 from 2.

Caused 19 turnovers and only turned it over 7 times.

Uh, Bell going 6/14 is 43%.
That’s excellent.
He can take all the 3’s he wants, if he’s hitting at 40+%.
That’s an odd nit to pick in this game.

I’d suggest that maybe the guys who shot:
0-3 Judah
0-3 Benny
0-2 Cuffe
0-2 Q

are the dudes who shoulda been more selective.
as in - selecting not to shoot any 3’s, at all.

JT went 2/5 and JJ 1/3, both of which are fine.

That’s excellent.

0-3 Judah
0-3 Benny
0-2 Cuffe
0-2 Q

Taylor would have shot close to 40% had he taken 14 shots.

Judah taking less shots is not a good argument either.

I don't like Bells shot selection, mostly when its after 1 pass and early in the shot clock. I do like it more after the team has had a few touches and he takes a dribble before shooting. It feels better and seems to go in more after there's been a bit of offensive flow. Its the 1 touch shots, early in the clock, and early in the game that I don't like.

As others pointed out the TO margin is a bigger tell. With that, I agree.

We had a game last night for sure, but long term we need to be concerned about the scoring balance.

I’d like to see Bell follow his shot in effort to get into position for possible rebound.
Good point.

He has a slow release and then kinda stands in the same spot. This all happening after 1 or 2 touches looks odd.

Hopefully Red works on this part of his game.

If we play Bell and Taylor together a lot, we are going to lose the rebounding battle.
This assumes Benny will be an active rebounder and I am not at all confident he will be. If Red can convince Benny to be that athletic and aggressive rebounder for the team, that would be hugely beneficial.

Outrebounded by 12.

We learned Colgate is a good half court team, that we aren’t, but we can play helter-skelter defense and offense. In an open court, unsettled, our guys are great at finishing.

I don’t know about “identity” but we have serious issues in the half court against a defense that is set up. We do have depth and maybe that “identity” (if you mean the press) can be used for more than desperation times and against better teams. We will see.

It’s painfully obvious that Benny can’t play at the pace we played at for the final 6-8 minutes. He was awful last night. JB would have railed on him when he just stands on the perimeter when the shot is taken from the opposite wing. Benny is lazy and if he doesn’t score, he just stands around. Body language was terrible, but Red did mention he was up and cheering his teammates from the bench. That is a huge improvement from last year. This team has zero post game. No one goes to the offensive rebounds except maybe Copeland. Big, strong teams are going to punish this team.

That’s excellent.

0-3 Judah
0-3 Benny
0-2 Cuffe
0-2 Q

We took too many threes, probably, as a team. I'm not sure we actually took bad threes. Q probably should shelve the three for this year, but Cuffe, Benny and Judah can make those shots. Cuffe has been a solid shooter thus far, Benny's numbers were skewed last year b/c he got hot late in the last four games but he can make that shot, and Judah shot like 35% in the second half last year. None of those guys should be living out there (nor should JJ), but I'm not sure we actually took bad ones. If anyone did it was Bell, but I think his value is going to be tied almost exclusively to making threes so we're stuck hoping he is truly the shooter his rep says he is (and last night, he was).

That’s excellent.

0-3 Judah
0-3 Benny
0-2 Cuffe
0-2 Q

Yeah Red wants a lot more possessions per game than JB, keep firing away - Bell.

Judah has to to keep defenses somewhat honest and Cuffe let's see if he has a shot on any given night.

Q, no. Benny, probably not.

Rebounding. I was surprised how often Cuse would chuck up a 3 and we had 4 guys getting back on D while the ball was in the air. Sometimes all 5. They made it easy for Colgate to rebound the ball defensively. And offensively, I think we want to push tempo so much that we forget to rebound. I think the guards are going to have to stay home and commit to rebounding more which they did in the second half.

Bell shot well and is driving and scoring as well. If he can play some defense he will be in line for most improved player from last season.

Red talked about them trying to play in 4 minute segments. Not sure if that was new messaging but they have to put together better defensive effort. I really hoped they learned something last night about effort.

That’s excellent.

0-3 Judah
0-3 Benny
0-2 Cuffe
0-2 Q

no one besides Taylor/Bell/Cuffe should be shooting a 3 in the normal sets unless forced to. Maybe the walkons.

Rebounding. I was surprised how often Cuse would chuck up a 3 and we had 4 guys getting back on D while the ball was in the air. Sometimes all 5. They made it easy for Colgate to rebound the ball defensively. And offensively, I think we want to push tempo so much that we forget to rebound. I think the guards are going to have to stay home and commit to rebounding more which they did in the second half.
I consistently saw all 5 go back while the ball was in the air, including the 7'4" guy who should be cleaning the glass. Did not understand it. Especially with the way this team shoots.

Still ball watching on the glass rather than focusing on boxing out our man. Need to have McLeod embrace doing the dirty work - alter shots and board. Feel like his main focus is blocking shots and it’s leading to him fouling and being out of position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom