Explain Fran Brown's Defense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Explain Fran Brown's Defense

Much of Nwokocha's film is at DE so I'm wondering if he's the big DE with DT size. The guy runs a 4.7 40 and was chasing down QB's from behind laterally so I think he's a great candidate for that.
Yup. My thinking too as I just said the same in the Nwokocha thread.

We really haven't seen the massive NT's being recruited. I am starting to wonder if the thought is if we don't think we can get a stud 320-330 lb NT that we don't just run with (3) pretty interchangeable 290 lb guys and a traditional DE with size similar to Diggs. That certainly seems like it coukd work in the ACC. Seems like it may be less effective against the big powerful SEC types of teams or the top BIG teams though.
Yeah guys like Wilson and Nwokocha are built to be good 4i players. Good 4i's cause disruption. They make lineman change their angles on zone plays. On gap runs they allow LB's to scrap over the top when RB's are forced to bounce it out.

Yeah guys like Wilson and Nwokocha are built to be good 4i players. Good 4i's cause disruption. They make lineman change their angles on zone plays. On gap runs they allow LB's to scrap over the top when RB's are forced to bounce it out.
Do u think it will be harder to trap them Big ends as apposed to smaller 230 lbers who are super quick.

I found this to be an interesting read.

Not only do defenses evolve from year to year based on the challenges offenses present each year, but I fully expect Coach Brown and Coach Robinson to put their own twists on the Syracuse defense not only based on their experiences but also based on the personnel available to them. Georgia and Texas AM ran similar defenses last season so it should be interesting to see what we are doing in the spring game and then in the fall.

Enjoy the ride.

Go Orange!

The better the DBs you have the more options you have to stop the run. Wash last night got more aggressive but also more controlled and held up well after the first few long runs. If the DBs can cover then you can not only fill the box but attack it.. If the DBs cant cover then the safeties need to play light and the LBs more controlled and then you get run gashed no matter what your DLine can do. Unless you have Aaron Donald.

IMG_4932.jpeg

Could see fronts like this considering 2 players were brought in to play the jack position.

Different schemes give different lineman fits. Just need to be a good player no matter what scheme you are in. Big guys get gashed just as much.

I have seen a new wrinkle I think it was earlier in the year by the Eagles on what they thought were clear running plays. They would have Jalen Carter and Jordan Davis line up as the tradition DTs and they would flex Fletcher Cox their other DT out to strong side DE. Early in the season this helped them stop the run. Since they have switched D-Coordinators and no longer do this.

I have seen a new wrinkle I think it was earlier in the year by the Eagles on what they thought were clear running plays. They would have Jalen Carter and Jordan Davis line up as the tradition DTs and they would flex Fletcher Cox their other DT out to strong side DE. Early in the season this helped them stop the run. Since they have switched D-Coordinators and no longer do this.
Good observation. They might need to do more of that

Yup Heard and Brown is two guys I have in mind.
James Heard from West Virginia? He's bigger than I thought would play Jack.

So, what is the Jack position? I thought it would be like the big nickel back. Clearly, a DE/LB like Heard doesn't for that description

James Heard from West Virginia? He's bigger than I thought would play Jack.

So, what is the Jack position? I thought it would be like the big nickel back. Clearly, a DE/LB like Heard doesn't for that description
The Jack is an edge defender. Can play on the LOS or off the ball. You are referring to the Star

Last edited:
Don’t let the opposition score more points than you.

The Jack is an edge defender. Can play on the LOS or off the ball. You are referring to the Star
So more for perimeter pursuit, pressure on the quarterback and containment on the edge. Much like a Will outside linebacker? Is the Jack considered a DE or LB, or a combination of both?

Will the Jack have coverage responsibilities on certain plays?

So more for perimeter pursuit, pressure on the quarterback and containment on the edge. Much like a Will outside linebacker? Is the Jack considered a DE or LB, or a combination of both?

Will the Jack have coverage responsibilities on certain plays?
Yes you got it. The Jack is a OLB/DE hybrid. The Star is OLB/Nickel hybrid. These two positions adds flexibility to the defense. Enables the defense to adjust and defend mutliple formations and groupings without substituting. The Jack might drop to flats, or drop in coverage during fire zone blitzes.

View attachment 236318
Could see fronts like this considering 2 players were brought in to play the jack position.
On that pick the right or weakside DE is on inside shade of tackle so he doesnt have contain and if im correct he should be QB's read. the 1 shade is on strong sides i or a gap as 3 shade is man up. im thinking this is their version against zone. How close am i Money and who would have contain if qb kept ball or does he play qb so he would have contain.

On that pick the right or weakside DE is on inside shade of tackle so he doesnt have contain and if im correct he should be QB's read. the 1 shade is on strong sides i or a gap as 3 shade is man up. im thinking this is their version against zone. How close am i Money and who would have contain if qb kept ball or does he play qb so he would have contain.
Both end's are playing 4i. They occupy the B gaps. The 1 tech has strong A. The ILB #2 primary responsibility is the weakside A. Im assuming the star is to the right of that formation, playing the field. He will have the QB or the SS will have him

Last edited:
Caden. He's is a natural edge defender. He will still need to add bulk to play the Jack. Ideally 240-250. I dont have a feel for Jayden. I imagine they try him inside first.
OK so the Jack is more like a pass rushing linebacker/DE hybrid? Does the position also have pass coverage responsibility (forgive me if you've already covered this)?

And if I remember correctly I believe Jayden has a pretty elite 40 time for a linebacker - sub 4.5 I think I read?