Explain interior defensive line responsibilities to me | Syracusefan.com

Explain interior defensive line responsibilities to me

LeMoyneCuse

All American
I've learned an incredible amount about football since I started posting on the old site in 2009. But one thing I've never been able to wrap my head around are the responsibilities of the big guys on the inside of the D-Line. So please help me with the following questions.

What does a nose tackle do that's different from a defensive tackle in Syracuse's system?
What does it mean when a player is a three technique versus a five technique and so on?
What's the A gap versus the B gap and so on?

Thanks in advance. Hopefully, others find this enlightening as well.

I've learned an incredible amount about football since I started posting on the old site in 2009. But one thing I've never been able to wrap my head around are the responsibilities of the big guys on the inside of the D-Line. So please help me with the following questions.

What does a nose tackle do that's different from a defensive tackle in Syracuse's system?
What does it mean when a player is a three technique versus a five technique and so on?

Thanks in advance. Hopefully, others find this enlightening as well.
Pretty sure that our NTs stunt more than NTs on other teams. Mostly, though, the NT's primary job is two-fold. First, plug up the middle and stop the run through the A and B gap. This almost always involves getting doubled up on (and sometimes tripled). Second, to collapse the pocket and force the QB out. Then it's up to the DEs, and whomever is blitzing (if/when that happens) to send the QB to an early grave. Also, incidental to plugging the middle, the NTs are integral in keeping guards from moving out and blocking the linebackers out of a play.

It refers to where a DT lines up: a 3 tech usually lines up on the outside shoulder of a guard. A 5 tech is essentially another term for a DE. Generally, guys playing 3 tech are bigger and stronger than 5 techs, 5 techs are longer and faster than 3 techs. NTs are, comparatively, shorter, uglier, tougher, and meaner than any of the other "techs" =D.

The A gap is the space between the center and guard. The B gap is the space between the guard and tackle. C gap is the space between a tackle and TE.

Dtechniquealignments_medium.gif

Pretty sure that our NTs stunt more than NTs on other teams. Mostly, though, the NT's primary job is two-fold. First, plug up the middle and stop the run through the A and B gap. This almost always involves getting doubled up on (and sometimes tripled). Second, to collapse the pocket and force the QB out. Then it's up to the DEs, and whomever is blitzing (if/when that happens) to send the QB to an early grave. Also, incidental to plugging the middle, the NTs are integral in keeping guards from moving out and blocking the linebackers out of a play.

It refers to where a DT lines up: a 3 tech usually lines up on the outside shoulder of a guard. A 5 tech is essentially another term for a DE. Generally, guys playing 3 tech are bigger and stronger than 5 techs, 5 techs are longer and faster than 3 techs. NTs are, comparatively, shorter, uglier, tougher, and meaner than any of the other "techs" =D.
This is awesome. Thank you!

So what does a defensive tackle do that's different from a nose tackle? If the nose's job is to take up space and absorb blockers, is the defensive tackle supposed to collapse the pocket first and stop the run second?

Addendum:

Physically, the main difference between a DT and NT is that the DT tends to be more athletic, but not as strong, as the NT. The NT will generally be quicker out of the hole, but tops out REAL quick. The DT will be faster, and more maneuverable in space. Mind you, these traits are generalities. If all is working well on the front 4, you'll generally see the NT get doubled/tripled, allowing the DT to face just one OL. The DT will be able to beat the 1-1 and pressure the QB while the NT keeps the center of the line plugged, and pushing back the pocket.

seems like if you get a dominant NT you can make running difficult, if you get dominant DEs you make passing tough, you get both you become Alabama.

we dont need great , but we need consistent across the board. Feels like we are getting there.

seems like if you get a dominant NT you can make running difficult, if you get dominant DEs you make passing tough, you get both you become Alabama.

we dont need great , but we need consistent across the board. Feels like we are getting there.
Yep. We are. Takes time. A lot of the kids we've played up front have had to learn/grow on the job. Not an enviable task.

Having never played organized football, I learn so much from threads like this. It is remarkable that this sport is so popular, but most of us fans know so little about what is actually happening on each play. The media does little to educate us on the basics of football and maybe the average does not care to know.

Yep. We are. Takes time. A lot of the kids we've played up front have had to learn/grow on the job. Not an enviable task.
Can't wait to see what these young guys do this year and next. Lumps taken, let's get busy.

Addendum:

Physically, the main difference between a DT and NT is that the DT tends to be more athletic, but not as strong, as the NT. The NT will generally be quicker out of the hole, but tops out REAL quick. The DT will be faster, and more maneuverable in space. Mind you, these traits are generalities. If all is working well on the front 4, you'll generally see the NT get doubled/tripled, allowing the DT to face just one OL. The DT will be able to beat the 1-1 and pressure the QB while the NT keeps the center of the line plugged, and pushing back the pocket.
Exemplars at each position? Warren Sapp at DT? Wilfork at NT?

This is awesome. Thank you!

So what does a defensive tackle do that's different from a nose tackle? If the nose's job is to take up space and absorb blockers, is the defensive tackle supposed to collapse the pocket first and stop the run second?
Both positions are very much predicated on dominating space. The difference comes in the outside (i.e. C gap) responsibility. A NT will rarely have responsibility over this gap and as you get closer to the edge (the outside shoulder of the last o-lineman) the ability to make plays on the run and in open field (i.e. with your body weight outside or off of your feet) is more and more critical. This is the difference in a DE vs a DT vs a NT. A NT is a bull, works very well in very small spaces and over extremely short time durations, inches matter and the work is happening in milliseconds. A NT is adept at moving an interior linman off of his anchor, and making a play when squared to the ball in a tight confined space. A DE has to be fluid enough to make plays against smaller faster backs by driving them sideways, work is happening over several seconds. A DT is almost like a hybrid between the two with a bias toward the stregnth/power skill-set. Has to be able to move a guard or tackle off the spot they want to occupy but fast/agile enough to push the edge by occupying the space from the outside gaps (B and C) to the edge.

Exemplars at each position? Warren Sapp at DT? Wilfork at NT?

Ndamukung Suh as a DT (3 tech) and Wilfork at NT. Your two examples are just as good.