Explain to me 1 thing the zone takes away ? | Syracusefan.com

Explain to me 1 thing the zone takes away ?

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
-doesn’t take away 3’s
-doesn’t take away lay ups or dunks
-doesn’t take away mid range
-doesn’t force turnovers
-doesn’t prevent offense rebounding

I mean even years when our zone was bad we usually had a give and take .. maybe it wasn’t as good allowing 3’s but that usually meant it was tough sledding to score inside ... or maybe it forced a ton of turnovers ...or maybe it prevented the 3’s but allowed easier inside scoring ..

But this zone is basically garbage ..

-doesn’t take away 3’s
-doesn’t take away lay ups or dunks
-doesn’t take away mid range
-doesn’t force turnovers
-doesn’t prevent offense rebounding

I mean even years when our zone was bad we usually had a give and take .. maybe it wasn’t as good allowing 3’s but that usually meant it was tough sledding to score inside ... or maybe it forced a ton of turnovers ...or maybe it prevented the 3’s but allowed easier inside scoring ..

But this zone is basically garbage ..

This season or generally? Everything up top is too easy right now - driving, entry passes, shots...the recovery is slow, and that just compounds our problems inside.

It also think it’s a mental issue for opposing players. Typically it makes you think and second guess as opposed to being aggressive. You grow up trying to attack the man in front of you ... the zone makes you more tentative. It takes you out of your comfort zone.

It also think it’s a mental issue for opposing players. Typically it makes you think and second guess as opposed to being aggressive. You grow up trying to attack the man in front of you ... the zone makes you more tentative. It takes you out of your comfort zone.

Teams sure look comfortable to me. And if they miss...no worries. They can outrebound our string bean centers and forwards. Not once, not twice...

1 thing about zone: SU seems to make little effort to box out.
Understand it's not M2M and box your guy, but there are opportunities.
Rarely see an effort to back up/find a guy nearby to box out.
Edwards did a nice textbook box out tonight.
(only good from this game: able to watch Edwards for extended minutes and imagine the future!)

The zone is missing rim protectors, particularly at the 5. That’s really it.

Our best zones had ‘mistake erasers’ at the rim who could a) block/alter shots without fouling, b) defend the post and foul line without needing to rely on the other guys collapsing every time to help out.

Our wings are actually alright. And Girard and Buddy have their limits but you guys would be surprised how much better they’d look with a serviceable defender in the middle of the zone. Sidibe and Marek do what they can but they’re mediocre defensive Centers on their very best nights.

We’re like a defense in football with no pass rush. You could have Deion Sanders and Revis as your cornerbacks but if you can’t get to the quarterback, the defense will never be elite. On the flip side, If you have a strong pass rush your defense could be elite even with some of the worst CBs.

pass rush = Center

It baffles me that the staff either didn’t target better defensive Centers or missed on all of the good ones. I’m perplexed that such a crucial position has been so bad for so long.

The zone is missing rim protectors, particularly at the 5. That’s really it.

Our best zones had ‘mistake erasers’ at the rim who could a) block/alter shots without fouling, b) defend the post and foul line without needing to rely on the other guys collapsing every time to help out.

Our wings are actually alright. And Girard and Buddy have their limits but you guys would be surprised how much better they’d look with a serviceable defender in the middle of the zone. Sidibe and Marek do what they can but they’re mediocre defensive Centers on their very best nights.

We’re like a defense in football with no pass rush. You could have Deion Sanders and Revis as your cornerbacks but if you can’t get to the quarterback, the defense will never be elite. On the flip side, If you have a strong pass rush your defense could be elite even with some of the worst CBs.

pass rush = Center

It baffles me that the staff either didn’t target better defensive Centers or missed on all of the good ones. I’m perplexed that such a crucial position has been so bad for so long.

It’s as simple as being unable to close the deal on good centers and having to settle for projects.

It’s as simple as being unable to close the deal on good centers and having to settle for projects.

Why do Centers hate us and why haven’t we brought in a former player to coach the bigs?

Until this program gets a Center, we’re going to be fighting just for a spot in the NCAAT every year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do Centers hate us and why haven’t we brought in a former player to coach the bigs?

Until this program gets a Center, we’re going to be fighting just for a spot in the NCAAT very year.

In general, the center position has never been a key position in our offense. We generally recruit from a defensive way of thinking, someone long and rangy who can defend in the zone, and consequently, many times, we wind up with someone who is thin and a bit of a project offensively.

a real small guard combined with an extremely slow footed guard and zero rim protection will do that. Dont see how its any better at all next year either which is scary

I thought zones were supposed to hide deficiencies not magnify them.

In general, the center position has never been a key position in our offense. We generally recruit from a defensive way of thinking, someone long and rangy who can defend in the zone, and consequently, many times, we wind up with someone who is thin and a bit of a project offensively.
"A bit of a project offensively." You sir, are the master of understatement.

I don't think this is true.
We had Rony Seikaly. He was pretty key.
We had Arinze. He was pretty key, on a team everyone said should have gone to the NC.
We had Fab Melo. He was pretty key on a good team.

The only real counter argument is that 2003 had Forth and McNeil, who weren't key in terms of depending on them for scoring, but they were both big, strong, could rebound, protect the rim, and not get bullied. And we had Hak and Carmelo to supplement them.

I don't think this is true.
We had Rony Seikaly. He was pretty key.
We had Arinze. He was pretty key, on a team everyone said should have gone to the NC.
We had Fab Melo. He was pretty key on a good team.

The only real counter argument is that 2003 had Forth and McNeil, who weren't key in terms of depending on them for scoring, but they were both big, strong, could rebound, protect the rim, and not get bullied. And we had Hak and Carmelo to supplement them.
So three guys in 35 years?

The biggest issue with an all-zone defense is the number of compromises the team has to make in order for it to be a top-20 D. This is why no other D1 team has made it their only defense. A good defensive coach can get a man D into the top-20 without having to make as many compromises by just having regular players and not 7’ 200lb guys who can’t catch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom