Explain to me 1 thing the zone takes away ? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Explain to me 1 thing the zone takes away ?

You forgot the wrinkle he pulls out 0.00005% of the time. Guards extend and attack when the ball crosses half court. But otherwise, interesting analogy.
I really wish that would be used more proactively and intermittently to catch them off guard. It almost always results in an effective trap or timeout the first time we spring it. The problem is it’s easy to pass through it once they know it’s coming.

"The players aren't keeping up with the shooters in a zone so let's put them in a man-to-man and now they will keep up with them."

Nope. Zones are used to mask deficiencies that are exposed in a man-to-man.
How do these mid major teams ever pull upsets.
M2m doesn’t need to be the primary defense but shaking it up would confuse teams when we never do it and it does help defensive rebounding. As if you playing m2m you box out your defender.
Also in a m2m situation defenders sag off their assignment if that player can’t shoot and flood the paint to prevent drives.
Teams do it to us.

"The players aren't keeping up with the shooters in a zone so let's put them in a man-to-man and now they will keep up with them."

Zones are used to mask deficiencies that are exposed in a man-to-man.
You’re citing the conventional reasoning used by most other teams. The way we play it is unconventional and requires our guys to out-athlete the opponent. They won’t suffer an allergic reaction if they played man, Steve. Jimmy might have a stroke though.

So three guys in 35 years?
You’re talking about 3 centers over the course of 35 years. Sure there’s been exceptions. But few and far between.
Oh come on. There have been many others. Rakeem Christmas, Rick Jackson, Mookie Watkins, Etan Thomas, Otis Hill, Conrad McCrae, Leron Ellis. All those guys could score inside and were skilled in the post.

Should be used to creat traps, turnovers, blocked shots, clock shot violations. Most of this should lead to easy run outs and transition baskets. It’s the talent in the zone that creates this, we don’t have the athletes excluding Hughes, Gurrier, Dole and Goodine right now.

early JB used to use the zone only to protect players in foul trouble. cuz it's basically lazy hands off defense.

If you play it that way.

you watch the games. how many easy buckets are we giving up inside every single game cuz our front line has foul trouble and can't contest the shot ? too many imo. i will now turn my thoughts towards today's game and hope i will see something different. will this positive energy help ? hell no. expect i'll see the same

m2m is absolutely adjustable and has just as many wrinkles if not more than zone. This is what happens to fans who only see their team in one defense - they make up myths about the other stuff.
fair enough
but m2m isnt adjustable in the same way as zone is...the zone allows the coach to be more of a puppeteer on the types of action and opportunities allowed...which i beleive is its big appeal to jb...he can be the "mastermind" deciding which types of plays wiol happen...he can conduct the action from the sideline like a maestro with the zoen in ways that he simply couldnt in man 2 man...theoretically in terms of execution but i think he is right to think that zone allows him to be more of a "maestro"...in m2m you can tweak matchups and rotations etc but it doesnt lend itself to say...giving up 3s or foul line catches by bigs etc...its much more chaotic in terms of what might happen from play to play...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom