Exposed | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Exposed

We don’t need 5-7 transfers, but we do need at least 3 or 4.
3 at a minimum, 2 of which could challenge for starting roles:
* a true center who can rebound, score inside, draw fouls, & shoot 8 footers as well

* a true shooter, who moves off ball & makes teams work, but whom can also play lock down D.

* not sure what the 3rd should be, assuming a limit of 3. We have so many glaring weaknesses. So, you either go for imptoving rebounding or scoring...

Won’t be PG (despite our current frustrations). We desperately need better forwards. Brown is great but he needs help. Freeman will be a good addition, but we really need two others, especially small forwards that can shoot and rebound. If you really break down our current roster it’s our weakest spot. It was my biggest fear with this team headed into the year and it seems to have become a reality. JT, Bell and Benny are complete liabilities at forward. We can work with almost everything else, but those positions need to be addressed in the offseason.
My guess right now is that there are no big additions. Starting next season will be JJ Chance Bell Freeman and Naheem.

My guess right now is that there are no big additions. Starting next season will be JJ Chance Bell Freeman and Naheem.
There's a really good chance you're correct, but man Red is really gambling with his job by not recruiting over Bell.

Have we lost a game yet this year that we were projected to win? I don't think so.

When was the last time that had happened at this point in the season?

Yes, we're a team of non-complementary parts. We don't have top to bottom roster strength. But we've managed to win every game we should've won. That's something at least, and certainly doesn't warrant calls to look for another coach.

Portal. Portal. Portal. I think the thing everyone misses is kids have to WANT to come here. The jury is still out on Red, but the biggest concern has to be his ability to recruit to what is a mediocre program. Ever wonder why mediocre programs stay mediocre programs? Because they’re mediocre and the best players don’t want to go there. You need something or someone to break that paradigm. Red got Freeman and Moore. Good start, but we need much, much more. Can he keep closing? Can he build a complete roster? Time will tell. Probably too early right now to judge.

But, here’s a scenario for you:

Player A lives in Philly. He’s a top flight prospect and is a beast. He wants to stay in the North East and play a tough, in your face style of hard nosed basketball like they play on the blacktop. Where does he choose to go to school?

Player B also lives in Philly and also is a 5 star caliber player, except his game is a little more finesse and skill. He favors a conference with cachet where he can show his skills on the biggest stages with the most attention. Where does player B decide to go?

The answer since our move to the ACC for both these questions is NOT Syracuse.

In the old days, player A would’ve dreamed about playing for the top dog(s) in the BigEast, which was SU (UConn etc). Now, that player still goes to UConn or Nova (or maybe now SJU or Gtown), but it’s no longer Cuse. We are out of that equation.

As far as player B is concerned, where is he going to go??? It’s Duke or Carolina. Full stop. Cuse isn’t in that consideration set either. I mean, if I’m elite and I want to play somewhere like the ACC, I’m going to Duke or Carolina (or maybe I go to Kentucky). Those are my choices. SU is not a part of the conversation.

So there we are. Lost between two worlds. A world where we used to be king and another where we’re just a serf living on someone else’s land. Cuse is in a tough spot. Throw in mediocrity for a decade and it’s a dire situation.

So, the question of Red’s recruiting is really front and center. Freeman holds great promise because he’s the type of player painted in scenario A but he DID choose SU. We need lots more of players like him.

Red has to somehow keep going into the Bronx, Brooklyn, Philly, New England etc and somehow convince the kind of player that Hurley has gotten at UCONN to want to play in the ACC and kick some Duke/UNC butt. We need to bring Big East basketball to the ACC. We need to kick the crap out of teams like they’re playing us at MSG not some dump in Greensboro.

Can Red make players WANT to play here under the current conditions? I wish things were going better on the court against Duke, UNC etc to demonstrate the vision but we don’t have the players yet. However, if we can beat the rest of the schedule and show promise, maybe he can entice more top talent to come. That’s why this Pitt game may be the biggest of the year. We need to answer this loss big time.

It’s an incomplete team.

Again, we have a number of guys in the rotation that shouldn’t even be playing, let alone starting, if we are to be competitive against top teams.

Brown, Bell and Q should be part of the rotation next year. I’m assuming JJ will get better and I’m hoping Chance can stay healthy.

I’m banking on Freeman to be able to start or be in the rotation.

The center position needs a full overhaul.

PG has to be someone that can be a facilitator. Whoever it ends up being.

We need Brown to start, we need two shooters with him, we need a facilitator PG and a competent center as the starting lineup.

Then we need a combo guard, wing and another center off the bench at least that are all competent.

However that shakes out, don’t care. Just need to get there.

Brown starts for me unless we get an absolute stud center in the portal.

I agree that Brown should start but do we go another year without an actual center and three backups who can't play?

If we can't get a stud center in the portal, yes. Quality big men are hard to get, even with the portal... There's simply not that many of them.

No point in bringing in another "body" for the sake of it. Big part of the problem with the program in the last decade is we have gone years at a time without a serviceable center. We don't need to load up on projects. There have been a few bright spots... Rak, Lydon, Jesse... Just not enough of them.

Guys, we don’t need a ‘state of the program’ post everytime we get our butts handed to us.
It's funny as hell. Like clockwork!

but we should not be losing by 40 points ever. that is just dumb.

It's only happened a couple times, to be fair. It was on the road, and the refs let them play bully ball at the Dean Dome.

If we can't get a stud center in the portal, yes. Quality big men are hard to get, even with the portal... There's simply not that many of them.

No point in bringing in another "body" for the sake of it. Big part of the problem with the program in the last decade is we have gone years at a time without a serviceable center. We don't need to load up on projects. There have been a few bright spots... Rak, Lydon, Jesse... Just not enough of them.

I think the thing to look for is a G5 center who might be a stretch 4 on a major conference team. The guy could be only 6-8 or 6-9 if he weighs 240 and can hit a 3. That would be perfect for us.

I think the thing to look for is a G5 center who might be a stretch 4 on a major conference team. The guy could be only 6-8 or 6-9 if he weighs 240 and can hit a 3. That would be perfect for us.

Agreed... But look at where we're LY for a portal center... We were supposedly in the running for Hunter Dickinson, who would have been a great pickup... He went to Kansas and is putting up great numbers Hunter Dickinson 2023-24 Stats per Game - NCAAM - ESPN

Maybe we were never seriously a contender for Dickinson, but we moved down our list and wound up with McLeod... A big body who can block shots but is simply lumbering and too slow to start and play effectively in a P5 conference.

Bringing in big bodies not fit for purpose. I mean he's ok as a backup option, but he was brought in to start and simply is not good enough for that.

We have to stop doing that...

Yes, Cuse was exposed vs the Tar Heels, but who wouldn't expect that when a soph-laden team with a new head coach and a radical change in playing strategy meets a blue-chip senior-laden lineup in their home gym? Let this team first gel, then mature before judging AA's worth. I love the Q-Brown connection, but this this team needs more shooting practice, both from 3-pt. range and from 6-inch range (Brown excepted).

The best thing they have going for them is Autry's willingness to play a deep bench, something JB was most always firmly against. It saves player wear-and-tear over the season, keeps more players engaged, gives flexibility vs varying defenses, and perhaps, most of all, it's more attractive to recruits who don't want be red-shirted or benched for years until they learn the zone.

Finally, imagine how different this team would look if Jesse were still here. Wonder how he likes losing in Morgantown?--VBOF

JJ or Westry, with an outside chance Judah returns because I don’t think he’s improved his game enough to be drafted (I still think he leaves, but not sure he sticks in the NBA).
Is Westry even a point guard?

Have we lost a game yet this year that we were projected to win? I don't think so.

When was the last time that had happened at this point in the season?

Yes, we're a team of non-complementary parts. We don't have top to bottom roster strength. But we've managed to win every game we should've won. That's something at least, and certainly doesn't warrant calls to look for another coach.
And that's the problem is we used to expect to win every game, because we could compete at the highest levels. Now we just write off 10 games that we are not expected to win and say ok, everything is fine. That's called a decline and lowering expectations.

It’s a winnable game on the road; these are the games we need to win. Winning at Cameron or UNC is a pipe dream with this team
So what. Our season is over. I hope we get to 50%. Pitt is a meaningless game.

And that's the problem is we used to expect to win every game, because we could compete at the highest levels. Now we just write off 10 games that we are not expected to win and say ok, everything is fine. That's called a decline and lowering expectations.
No, that's not my point. Yes, we have a dearth of talent. But with that dearth of talent, we're at least back to winning the games we should win.

That's progress. The ultimate success or failure of Red's regime will be determined by whether he can significantly upgrade the talent level.

But, these to-put-it-mildly premature evaluations of Red's coaching skills are pretty embarrassing.

For me, we are just not tough enough - not physical enough. We got outrebounded badly. We gave up too many second chance points. We need stronger, better players closer to the basket - it's just that simple in my opinion.
We also seem to cave as soon as someone punches us. We are and have been a soft team for quite a while.

Agreed, but it all depends on how they play the rest of the year.

I don't care about what mix returns or emotionally tied to any one player. If Red needs to clean house, he should. Even coaches. Do your job.

It's just so bad against any Q1 team. So many kids quitting on plays. Unable or unwilling or too embarassed to compete. No leadership, except for what comes from Q, Brown (by example), & Judah (most times).

A friend was at the game within earshot & Red lit into the team, questioning their pride, & they were all apparently mute.

Meanwhile, UCF is knocking off Kansas, someone had Tennessee on the ropes yesterday, may have beat them. This is supposed to be fun. Don't care about Ws & Ls, but the lack of effort is so frustrating.
"Questioning their pride" is part of the issue, and it's more than pride in personal
performance as far as I can see. Years ago kids took pride in wearing their uniform and
representing their chosen university. A player identified with the success of their "team"
and secondarily with their individual performance. It meant something to be part of SU and
the SU tradition and there was a sense of disappointment if you let "your" team down.

My personal opinion, in today's collegiate world, it's far more about the individual than any sense of pride in team performance. It's so easy to walk away and find another fit for
your skills than it is to suck it up and work harder for the sake of your teammates and your
team's identity. Loyalty to a program just doesn't exist, at least not to the extent it has
in years past. And SU is not unique in this new world of "what's in it for me". The portal is
always open for business, so if times are too demanding just go find another option and hope
it works out.

Portal. Portal. Portal. I think the thing everyone misses is kids have to WANT to come here. The jury is still out on Red, but the biggest concern has to be his ability to recruit to what is a mediocre program. Ever wonder why mediocre programs stay mediocre programs? Because they’re mediocre and the best players don’t want to go there. You need something or someone to break that paradigm. Red got Freeman and Moore. Good start, but we need much, much more. Can he keep closing? Can he build a complete roster? Time will tell. Probably too early right now to judge.

But, here’s a scenario for you:

Player A lives in Philly. He’s a top flight prospect and is a beast. He wants to stay in the North East and play a tough, in your face style of hard nosed basketball like they play on the blacktop. Where does he choose to go to school?

Player B also lives in Philly and also is a 5 star caliber player, except his game is a little more finesse and skill. He favors a conference with cachet where he can show his skills on the biggest stages with the most attention. Where does player B decide to go?

The answer since our move to the ACC for both these questions is NOT Syracuse.

In the old days, player A would’ve dreamed about playing for the top dog(s) in the BigEast, which was SU (UConn etc). Now, that player still goes to UConn or Nova (or maybe now SJU or Gtown), but it’s no longer Cuse. We are out of that equation.

As far as player B is concerned, where is he going to go??? It’s Duke or Carolina. Full stop. Cuse isn’t in that consideration set either. I mean, if I’m elite and I want to play somewhere like the ACC, I’m going to Duke or Carolina (or maybe I go to Kentucky). Those are my choices. SU is not a part of the conversation.

So there we are. Lost between two worlds. A world where we used to be king and another where we’re just a serf living on someone else’s land. Cuse is in a tough spot. Throw in mediocrity for a decade and it’s a dire situation.

So, the question of Red’s recruiting is really front and center. Freeman holds great promise because he’s the type of player painted in scenario A but he DID choose SU. We need lots more of players like him.

Red has to somehow keep going into the Bronx, Brooklyn, Philly, New England etc and somehow convince the kind of player that Hurley has gotten at UCONN to want to play in the ACC and kick some Duke/UNC butt. We need to bring Big East basketball to the ACC. We need to kick the crap out of teams like they’re playing us at MSG not some dump in Greensboro.

Can Red make players WANT to play here under the current conditions? I wish things were going better on the court against Duke, UNC etc to demonstrate the vision but we don’t have the players yet. However, if we can beat the rest of the schedule and show promise, maybe he can entice more top talent to come. That’s why this Pitt game may be the biggest of the year. We need to answer this loss big time.
I agree with everything except that beating Pitt would show a recruit that we are a big boy in the ACC. Pitt was a big boy in the BE, but that is no longer relevant. One good year, but no consistency.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom