Class of 2023 - F Matt and Ryan Bewley (FL) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 F Matt and Ryan Bewley (FL)

That’s my take on it too. Separate the kids who want quick $$$ from the kids who want an education and the chance at something more meaningful. Plus keep all if the seedy influence - as much as possible - over there.
Yes, give them a route to making money legally. I used to get mad that kids were taking money. But, that was dumb. It is the universities, mainly coaches, and shoe companies that are the villains.

the chance at something more meaningful
Such Bullshit. Why do people go to college? To get jobs.

People don’t worry about any group of kids, (other than those that might play for their favorite college basketball or football teams) going to work in their chosen field.

Talent shows abound with precocious kids who captivate people with their talent at a young age. No one cares that if they can make money with their talent that they are not going to college.

Again, if any of my kids had a talent to pursue, I would have them forget college: they can learn almost anything they need to on line.

My two youngest are dabbling in crypto currencies, equities and 4X trading on line, and doing pretty well.

It's good for everyone involved.
Okay, here I go again. It’s not necessarily good for everyone. Although I have seen enough of your posts on the subject, OiG to know we largely agree. But allow me to extend the rationalization. We as a society have lost the concept that education in and itself had merit. Particularly among the lower socio-economic sectors, we favor instant results over education, personal responsibility and hard work. Increasingly, kids are told through cultural signaling that making it to the NBA or the NFL is the goal. For 99.99% of kids that should not be the goal. The goal should be self-improvement and education. Talent in a sport is a means to an end outside of the sport. Unfortunately, that message is not reinforced.

It is my hope that if more kids who have already lost the opportunity to learn this are siphoned off by this new league, it will open doors for kids to see first had the value of the education, and that they in turn will be examples to the younger kids who still have time to learn it.

Okay, here I go again. It’s not necessarily good for everyone. Although I have seen enough of your posts on the subject, OiG to know we largely agree. But allow me to extend the rationalization. We as a society have lost the concept that education in and itself had merit. Particularly among the lower socio-economic sectors, we favor instant results over education, personal responsibility and hard work. Increasingly, kids are told through cultural signaling that making it to the NBA or the NFL is the goal. For 99.99% of kids that should not be the goal. The goal should be self-improvement and education. Talent in a sport is a means to an end outside of the sport. Unfortunately, that message is not reinforced.

It is my hope that if more kids who have already lost the opportunity to learn this are siphoned off by this new league, it will open doors for kids to see first had the value of the education, and that they in turn will be examples to the younger kids who still have time to learn it.

Education and this new league are not mutually exclusive.

Anybody can go to college whenever they want, post HS graduation or GED.

Not anybody can get paid six- or seven-figures to play a sport.
So - they can pursue the $ now, while they can.
And later go to college, if they so desire.

Agreed. And that is the saving grace for it. I hope they are successful for that reason. There are more than enough talented athletes in the world. What we need are more people who can see a pathway for their own success in life. I hope this league helps that happen. I still want more kids to view a college athletic scholarship as a pathway to ... well, scholarship. But

So, I do work in education, on the fringes somewhat, and I'd say actually there's a lot of progress being made away from thinking of the value of education in terms of immediate results, and toward the idea of matching education opportunities to better long-term results.

So, I do work in education, on the fringes somewhat, and I'd say actually there's a lot of progress being made away from thinking of the value of education in terms of immediate results, and toward the idea of matching education opportunities to better long-term results.

Good stuff. I am in and of the view of far more two year type of programs with professional certifications as being the norm for education. While I get the benefits of things like electives and the social benefits of the college experience, the 4 year aspect paired with some the requirements that act as barriers to getting into a higher educational institution have common ground in terms of being problematic to expanding education to a wider population.

When you put it into the context of sports- a two year window vs four makes more sense as much as for the academic side. Kids that go to technical schools , focus on associates degrees vs bachelor's and the general heirarchy of education to me could move in the direction of providing the opportunity to be a professional sooner, especially as automation continues to whittle away at service industry and manufacturing jobs.

A lot of this comes from interaction with inner city financial literacy/rental and housing counseling programs and then growing up in the country. The 4 year time frame is a barrier for a lot of families who can't hit the pause button and getting an education and doing your part to share household expenses with a part time low paying job don't cut it. For some in the country 4 years set aside is 4 years lost when the luxuries of college life are not a priority/necessity.

Of course again back to athletics- if you allowed four years of eligibility for someone in graduate programs or needing an extra year for undergrad so be it.

Read somewhere that Scoots G league deal is worth a million. Crazy!

**just read somewhere else its 500k**

Last edited:
I hope you’re right. I’m not seeing it in the inner city here.

I sense some back problems from select coaches are gonna make a comeback sooner than later if this continues to bubble up.

I agree that anyone can go to college, but for a lot of these guys, sports has been the carrot that made them pursue it. There will be some that go the quick money route, fail, and never get that education. Having said that, they're adults, and that'll be their choice.

I have always said great players make make coaches great. The new options for great players will make coaches work harder to win, identify potential and build a team.