F00D P0RN | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

F00D P0RN

This was a small chicken that I used a lemon/pepper brine on and then "Stubb's Poltry Dry Rub" which is a salt/honey/garlic/mustard base. I also filled it with cornbread stuffing at my daughters request.

Before it hit the barrel:
IMG_20150801_142856099_HDR.jpg

In the barrel:
IMG_20150801_143300620.jpg

This took much less time than I expected and disaster struck for the first time in the barrel. I need to be more careful how I hook these heavier pieces of meat especially with the added weight of the stuffing. I went out to check about 45min before I figured it would be done and there was a great strong smell of roasted chicken. Hooks were on the bar and the chicken was sitting on the coals. One side was charred a bit and dinner was an hour early but no real harm. I also adjusted the intake opening because even though I'm between sea level and 2000' I'm on the lower end of that and everything was cooking faster than expected. We'll see how that works going forward.

Here is the finished product:
IMG_20150801_164502896.jpg

Here it is plated:
IMG_20150801_165602425_HDR.jpg

I knew I was going to be tied up helping a buddy most of the day Saturday so I cut 5 thick pork chops and put them in a brine for 2 days. I figured it wouldn't take too long to cook them in the barrel which I set up late Friday night so I could light it and go when I got home Saturday. After removing from the brine I used an apple cider vinegar mop to get the spicy bbq dry rub to to stick.

IMG_20150808_172456689.jpg

1 hour hanging then I put the rack in, left the lid off, sauced them and gave them 5min on each side.
IMG_20150808_185505649.jpg
IMG_20150808_185510655.jpg

1 hour hanging then I put the rack in, left the lid off, sauced them and gave them 5min on each side.
View attachment 49103 View attachment 49104
Those are great pics. I'm more of a salmon on the grill guy and will try to post pictures if I remember next time I grill (which I do year round). Those bucket photos look great and it looks fairly easy. I guess the key is just trusting your cooking time. If I read right, did you say you had a problem getting to a higher temperature. I'm curious what the problem was and how you solved it. Looks good.

Those are great pics. I'm more of a salmon on the grill guy and will try to post pictures if I remember next time I grill (which I do year round). Those bucket photos look great and it looks fairly easy. I guess the key is just trusting your cooking time. If I read right, did you say you had a problem getting to a higher temperature. I'm curious what the problem was and how you solved it. Looks good.

Thanks. I'd love to see pics of grilled salmon. I was never a huge seafood guy growing up but since moving somewhat south, much closer to the ocean and having a wife who's a big seafood eater I've developed a real appreciation for fish.

The barrel is really easy and its not exactly a smoker, or a grill. Its sort of an in between. I usually put soaked wood chunks in to get more smoke. Its designed to be between 250-300 but doesn't have a t-stat. You adjust the lower air intake vent per the altitude and the holes for the bars up top act as the upper vent. My problem was that I was getting too much heat and internal temp of the meat was higher than expected when I checked. Its tricky because you cannot judge by the outside appearance. I adjusted the lower intake to allow slightly less air and I also started using less charcoal briskets in the chimney. I went from around the recommended 40 down to about 25. I think I had so many hot coals in the chimney that when I dumped them into the charcoal basket they were starting too many of the other coals before I would get the meat hung and the lid on. Basically by adjusting the air intake more open or closed and adjusting the amount of briskets you use to light the loaded basket you can adjust the cooking temperature either direction fairly easily. I'm still tinkering but getting a good feel for it.

I'm still tinkering but getting a good feel for it.

Well, the results look pretty good. How have you determined so far when the meat is done.

Well, the results look pretty good. How have you determined so far when the meat is done.

I usually do an estimated time I expect it to take to reach the desired inner temp. Then I probe it when its getting close to that time. The lid just sets on top so its not difficult or too disturbing to lift it and insert a probe.

IMG_20150815_134400849.jpg

This is my homemade wing sauce which the kids love. I used to make my sauce really hot but it was too much for the kids. I started using as many different types of pepper as I could while cutting back on cayenne, crushed red pepper and also not adding any of the crazy spicy premade sauces that are out there. People seem to like it.

Anyways I did hot wings on the barrel yesterday. Here they are just going in. I gave them 25 minutes, flipped them and gave them another 25 minutes.
IMG_20150816_160810082_HDR.jpg

After the 50 minutes I sauced both sides and let them go for about 20 minutes, then sauce on one side 10 minutes, sauce on the other side and another 10 minutes. This picture is somewhere in the middle of the saucing stage.
IMG_20150816_175921786.jpg

Here they are just after being pulled.
IMG_20150816_182307573.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my first plate.
IMG_20150816_183257119.jpg

I cut the kids, and tossed them in sauce so they looked more like traditional bar style wings. It was completely unnecessary though as they had plenty of flavor as pictured being smoke infused with the caramelized sauce. I made 30-35 whole wings, gave 4 to my neighbor and the rest were devoured at dinner. These were undoubtedly the best wings I have ever made and its the only way I will be making them in the future. I may try a spicy BBQ style one of these times as well.

IMG_20150822_130938202_HDR.jpg

The wings were so good last weekend that I had to do them again this weekend. These were a carolina bbq style.

Just arrived in Aspen for the Food & Wine festival. This is a bucket list event for me. I'll try to get pics if I ever have an empty hand.

Looked into going last year but was cost prohibitive. Have an amazing time!

We need to resurrect the booze thread as well, but I can't find that one. A little help...

I have a picture of chicken parm lasagne...and for some reason I can't post it. Although I was able to post the above pic and for some reason I can't post this one...what gives.

image.jpeg

Not sure if this is the chicken parm lasagne or the chicken broccoli penne pasta...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom