Failed head coaches.. | Syracusefan.com

Failed head coaches..

Chip

Creature of Bad Habits
Are often very good coordinators (except GRob).

A lot of these guys just became available. And we should have a little more money to work with.

Wonder if a new OC, or potentially a ST Coordinator/Assistant HC type (they typically don't just accept ST Coordinator roles) could be found. Or if we're even looking.

Marrone has made significant staff changes in each of his first two offseasons, so there's reason to expect he'll do it again if he thinks it's necessary.

I sure hope he does.

Marrone has made significant staff changes in each of his first two offseasons, so there's reason to expect he'll do it again if he thinks it's necessary.

I sure hope he does.

Casullo for Doaust was the only coaching change last off-season.

I think there will be more changes this year.

Marrone should know this very well from his experience in New Orleans (Gregg Williams)

A lot of these guys just became available. And we should have a little more money to work with.

Wonder if a new OC, or potentially a ST Coordinator/Assistant HC type (they typically don't just accept ST Coordinator roles) could be found. Or if we're even looking.
Yes - GRob was the exception that proves the rule (if that rule is RichRod was a self-hating idiot)

Casullo for Doaust was the only coaching change last off-season.

I think there will be more changes this year.

It can be a tough call for head coaches. Continuity in assistants is usually a good thing, but you have to balance that against what assistant is available that could be an upgrade.

I hope Marrone's not scared of a guy with college OC experience after the Spence debacle. He should look at that for what it was, a guy who was widely known as the bubble screen guy in his previous stops.

Maybe I'm wrong, but Hackett strikes me as a guy who would probably rather be coaching on Sundays. So you have to figure out if he's long term anyway before you keep him for the sake of continuity.

He has to go out and get a ST guru at a minimum. This has been a near diasaster all year and is costing us games. You can't have the other team starting out every other drive on your own 40-50. I would hope he would take a really hard look at the OC position but I'm increasingly sensing that he is stubborn to a fault and hell bent on forcing his O system on personnel who can't execute it.

I hope Marrone's not scared of a guy with college OC experience after the Spence debacle. He should look at that for what it was, a guy who was widely known as the bubble screen guy in his previous stops.

Was Spence really an issue? When he had Mike Williams, he used MW properly. We threw it down the field plenty. NW and USF (minus the TOs) were the last games we looked good on O. Then MW left the team and around the same time Paulus had the INTs game vs USF and was never the same. At that point he didn't have much to work with besides DC3.

This is what irks me. Doesnt it bother anyone else that marrone has to repeatedly fix his own mistakes? I have never seen this before where a coach admits by his own actions that his judgment sucks camel balls.

Significant staff changes again? Should we hire someone to help make these sort of decisions since he clearly lacks the ability to do so?

This is what irks me. Doesnt it bother anyone else that marrone has to repeatedly fix his own mistakes? I have never seen this before where a coach admits by his own actions that his judgment sucks camel balls.

Significant staff changes again? Should we hire someone to help make these sort of decisions since he clearly lacks the ability to do so?

GROB has the same problem...

Was Spence really an issue? When he had Mike Williams, he used MW properly. We threw it down the field plenty. NW and USF (minus the TOs) were the last games we looked good on O. Then MW left the team and around the same time Paulus had the INTs game vs USF and was never the same. At that point he didn't have much to work with besides DC3.

What made Spence look bad was those last 2 games where the offense had its two best days, RU and UConn. And I don't think we ran a single bubble screen in either. The prevailing thought or even insider information at the time was that Marrone had taken over. Who knows what really went on.

The worst part about those 2 games was the hope it gave everyone. Now we're back to we don't have talent, what can we do.

Nah, anyone who's managed people knows that it's quite common to need to be constantly tinkering with your staff. I think it's unfair to call it "mistakes" as long as the people that were hired were done so utilizing a good process that would have suggested better results. Sometimes things just don't work out, happens in the business world every single day.

Now, one can argue that given Hacket's resume, there wasn't a legitimate expectation of success. And that may be discouraging.

What made Spence look bad was those last 2 games where the offense had its two best days, RU and UConn. And I don't think we ran a single bubble screen in either. The prevailing thought or even insider information at the time was that Marrone had taken over. Who knows what really went on.

The worst part about those 2 games was the hope it gave everyone. Now we're back to we don't have talent, what can we do.

Yeah but I think both of those games we caught those teams off guard by running an O they did not expect. Also IMO once we lost MW and it was apparent that Paulus was done, Marrone wanted to shorten games and just pound the ball. What we saw post MW in 2009 was exactly like what we saw in 2010. Coincidence?

Yeah but I think both of those games we caught those teams off guard by running an O they did not expect. Also IMO once we lost MW and it was apparent that Paulus was done, Marrone wanted to shorten games and just pound the ball. What we saw post MW in 2009 was exactly like what we saw in 2010. Coincidence?

Which is why I always wondered how good we could have been on offense in 2008 had MW not cheated on his finals. We were fairly effective running the ball even without a passing threat. What if we had one? Not top 25, but not bottom 25 either.