Fan experience has come a long way | Syracusefan.com

Fan experience has come a long way

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
For all of us, the real minority here, who grew up in a different time and place in SU sports history, our means of following the team we love has changed dramatically. Back then we didn't have the Internet, radio talk shows, coaches shows on both TV & radio or ESPN.

medium_120203_Burdick1.JPG

We waited patiently for the morning Post Standard, the evening Herald Journal or the Sunday Herald American for tidbits and articles from Arnie Burdick and Bill Reddy. On Monday Arnie used to talk to the Old Scout. It was a character he made up and together they would analyze the previous game and comment on next weeks opponent. Here's an update on what Arnie is up to these days.

Then there were the great cartoons on Sunday's, for example there would be a three picture series of Floyd Little with dots showing his path to the goal line illustrating the blocks along the way.

We didn't have At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. or Rivals for recruiting information, we had Tom Leo of the paper who would start putting up his graphs in January with occasional updates until signing day.

We would eagerly watch the Friday night, black & white national highlight shows to hear a mention of Syracuse. I remember the thrill I felt when I heard our city's name mentioned on a national broadcast.

There were the All American teams that were announced on either the Ed Sullivan or Bob Hope shows. Bob used to make a short quip on each honoree. (Here is a clip of 1982 & 1984 AP AA team, there is one of 1961 but couldn't find it) I remember getting the goose bumps and feeling so proud when Ernie Davis was introduced. Wow, I just got the goose bumps again.

Right now the SUMB is playing on my screen getting me fired up for Saturday's contest with our most hated opponent. There are about seven windows open with football information I will be putting up for you in a moment or two.

Never could I have imagined the wall-to-wall coverage of SU that we all have now.

It's such a drug.

PS

If you ever get a chance, either subscribe to the Syracuse News Paper Archives or visit the main library and look at the old sports pages for SU articles. It's a real trip, well worth the taking.

PPS

While looking for an old highlight reel I came upon this gem

Here is case point number one on why we hate Notre Dame

For all of us, the real minority here, who grew up in a different time and place in SU sports history, our means of following the team we love has changed dramatically. Back then we didn't have the Internet, radio talk shows, coaches shows on both TV & radio or ESPN.

We waited patiently for the morning Post Standard, the evening Herald Journal or the Sunday Herald American for tidbits and articles from Arnie Burdick and Bill Reddy. On Monday Arnie used to talk to the Old Scout. It was a character he made up and together they would analyze the previous game and comment on next weeks opponent. Here's an update on what Arnie is up to these days.

Then there were the great cartoons on Sunday's, for example there would be a three picture series of Floyd Little with dots showing his path to the goal line illustrating the blocks along the way.

We didn't have At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. or Rivals for recruiting information, we had Tom Leo of the paper who would start putting up his graphs in January with occasional updates until signing day.

We would eagerly watch the Friday night, black & white national highlight shows to hear a mention of Syracuse. I remember the thrill I felt when I heard our city's name mentioned on a national broadcast.

There were the All American teams that were announced on either the Ed Sullivan show or by Bob Hope. I remember getting the goose bumps and feeling so proud when Ernie Davis was introduced. Wow, I just got the goose bumps again.

Right now the SUMB is playing on my screen getting me fired up for Saturday's contest with our most hated opponent. There are about seven windows open with football information I will be putting up for you in a moment or two.

Never could I have imagined the wall-to-wall coverage of SU that we all have now.

It's such a drug.

PS

If you ever get a chance, either subscribe to the Syracuse News Paper Archives or visit the main library and look at the old sports pages for SU articles. It's a real trip, well worth the taking.

PPS

great post Dan. Love going down memory lane. And I still recall those "Old Scout" updates. Great stuff.

Thanks for the memories. My first memory was listening to Syracuse football on the radio when Jim Brown played (I think it was WSYR) and eagerly awaiting the Sunday paper to read Arnie's conversations with the "old scout." I still remember his poem to 44, "... when old 44 would roar for a score he was the most from coast to coast."

With the exception of more actual TV game coverage and a fan board like this one, I'm not sure the fan experience is better or worse?

But then again I still think the late 60's were the best time in history to be a young adult...or in you late teens. Call me nostalgic.

We waited patiently for the morning Post Standard, the evening Herald Journal or the Sunday Herald American for tidbits and articles from Arnie Burdick and Bill Reddy. On Monday Arnie used to talk to the Old Scout. It was a character he made up and together they would analyze the previous game and comment on next weeks opponent. Here's an update on what Arnie is up to these da

There were the All American teams that were announced on either the Ed Sullivan or Bob Hope shows. Bob used to make a short quip on each honoree. (Here is a clip of 1982 & 1984 AP AA team, there is one of 1961 but couldn't find it) I remember getting the goose bumps and feeling so proud when Ernie Davis was introduced. Wow, I just got the goose bumps again.

Right now the SUMB is playing on my screen getting me fired up for Saturday's contest with our most hated opponent. There are about seven windows open with football information I will be putting up for you in a
moment or two

It's such a drug.

PS

PPS

I recall those days well. My information source of choice was having a relative in Fulton weekly cut all of the newspaper articles for the week.He would send them to me in PA in a brown envelope. I looked forward to the day each week when they were due. He was in deep crap if they were late.

It is truly incredible for both the degree of and how swiftly the entire information process has changed. It is really indescribable.

Not the least of which is what we get from this board. My former brown envelope is now my IPad or the IPhone in an emergency. Now I have every cable station known to man, Game Plan, ESPN 3, and if all else fails I can slingbox it with a son in Charlotte who has sat hookup. I think I am an addict and, hell, I didn't go to SU.

Rev up the boos and hisses friends ......in addition I sent 4 kids to PSU and VT....But, they all bleed Orange. I trained them well.

Eyes...here is a newsflash for you .....you are the modern day Arnie Burdick with your news work here! It is greatly appreciated

Dan, although I'm older than you, we basically came out of the same era when it comes to the sports scene on the Hill and in the city itself. I remember and treasure many of the same memories you periodically mention. Nice post.....and thanks for all you do! :)

I recall those days well. My information source of choice was having a relative in Fulton weekly cut all of the newspaper articles for the week.He would send them to me in PA in a brown envelope. I looked forward to the day each week when they were due. He was in deep crap if they were late.

It is truly incredible for both the degree of and how swiftly the entire information process has changed. It is really indescribable.

Not the least of which is what we get from this board. My former brown envelope is now my IPad or the IPhone in an emergency. Now I have every cable station known to man, Game Plan, ESPN 3, and if all else fails I can slingbox it with a son in Charlotte who has sat hookup. I think I am an addict and, hell, I didn't go to SU.

Rev up the boos and hisses friends ......in addition I sent 4 kids to PSU and VT....But, they all bleed Orange. I trained them well.

Eyes...here is a newsflash for you .....you are the modern day Arnie Burdick with your news work here! It is greatly appreciated
Dan is the modern day Arnie Burdick. He even looks like Arnie.

arnie_burdick.jpg

http://www.syracusehalloffame.com/pages/inductees/1996/arnie_burdick.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom