Fan Fest '19 will be 9/28/19 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Fan Fest '19 will be 9/28/19

Regardless of what they do, I am disappointed. I liked watching the team scrimmage, getting a chance to see the young players play.

I hope they reconsider this idea, one no fan suggested or wanted. Why don't they ask the fan base what they want?

If Dino is concerned about information about the scrimmage leaking to future opponents, move Fan Fest to the spring, and put the Fan back in Fan Fest. That means reinstating the scrimmage.
I know there was talk a couple of years ago about moving Fan Fest to the spring since Dino wants the guys to be 100% focused on the season in the fall.

Regardless of what they do, I am disappointed. I liked watching the team scrimmage, getting a chance to see the young players play.

I hope they reconsider this idea, one no fan suggested or wanted. Why don't they ask the fan base what they want?

If Dino is concerned about information about the scrimmage leaking to future opponents, move Fan Fest to the spring, and put the Fan back in Fan Fest. That means reinstating the scrimmage.

This past Spring game certainly had the feel of a real Fan Fest, as I am sure you remember. You’re right...just combine Fan Fest and the Spring Game in April and be done with it already!
(And by the way...wasn’t that day in April absolutely fantastic? One of the very, very few warm and sunny days in an otherwise very wet and chilly Spring.)

I know there was talk a couple of years ago about moving Fan Fest to the spring since Dino wants the guys to be 100% focused on the season in the fall.

So why hold the FanFest in the fall? It can’t be held before the game. And if the game is, say, a 3:30 start, that means FanFest doesn’t start until 8:30 or later at night. That should — sarcasm — go over well.

Reactions: FAL

So why hold the FanFest in the fall? It can’t be held before the game. And if the game is, say, a 3:30 start, that means FanFest doesn’t start until 8:30 or later at night. That should — sarcasm — go over well.
I suspect it is because FanFest has been a preseason practice thing for a long time. Pretty sure this is being driven by Dino, whose primary focus remains, as it should be, on winning football games. The folks in the athletic department see season ticket sales going through the roof and have a HC who might not be 100% cooperative. I can’t blame them for not making a normal mid August FanFest happen.

In some ways, FanFest getting derailed and put to bed is on us, the fans. I think we are buying enough tickets that it is thought this bone for the fans is no longer needed.

Gonna miss that bone.

I suspect it is because FanFest has been a preseason practice thing for a long time. Pretty sure this is being driven by Dino, whose primary focus remains, as it should be, on winning football games. The folks in the athletic department see season ticket sales going through the roof and have a HC who might not be 100% cooperative. I can’t blame them for not making a normal mid August FanFest happen.

In some ways, FanFest getting derailed and put to bed is on us, the fans. I think we are buying enough tickets that it is thought this bone for the fans is no longer needed.

Gonna miss that bone.

This is an interesting angle, and one I agree with. Have heard just a few small things, nothing major, but things that give me a little pause from a marketing/communications side.

There is an argument to be made that Syracuse University Athletics pays salaries and has the right to hold events that they deem necessary to enhance the fan experience. However, there's a fine line when you have a HC that is a hot commodity and you want to retain for a long time.

My question would be what happens if we go 5-7 this year, 6-6 next year and we are right back where we started. I am hoping and praying that it doesn't happen, but a few key injuries to a few key players and it's absolutely possible.

Then, these types of events will have been thrown by the wayside and we're left with a bare bones, closed off program that is what it is.

This is absolute worst case scenario and like I said, I hope it doesn't happen. But it's a slippery slope.

In the grand scheme of things, it was an event that drew a few thousand people at best. Cancelling it isn't a big deal.

That's true but I'm guessing a lot of those fans are diehards and ones who donate and it would be nice to have something for them - especially donors.

I like it. Will be a fun game to take younger kids and get the next generation of fans on board.

Additionally may put a few thousand more fannies in the seats that have seasons and otherwise may have stayed home for the 3rd home game in as many weeks. Take your buddies to Clemson to get tuned up and rain hellfire from the stands... Take the kids to HC where you can walk corridors if need be and not worry about missing a few plays. They may even be content to sit longer after an hour of bounce houses on the quad prior.

Not for nothing, but I've heard 3rd hand that Babers is more difficult to work with than Shaffer ever was in terms of facilities. Not in a sense that he's a jerk, just that he knows what he wants and won't settle for less.

Similar to what I was told in other aspects.

are they doing the deal this year for every game if you show up early you get that 50% off coupon for food and drinks if you use the coupon before kickoff?

In the grand scheme of things, it was an event that drew a few thousand people at best. Cancelling it isn't a big deal.

Great way, however, to groom young fans and connect them to the program. SU does an awful job of marketing the program.

if they do a full on spring showcase ever year, it would soften the fanfest loss in august

Ok, knowing what we know so far, and knowing what this years fan fest WILL NOT be, what are your must haves?

Festivities?
Give always?
Food options?

This thread could help you get what you want.

And keep it realistic.

Ok, knowing what we know so far, and knowing what this years fan fest WILL NOT be, what are your must haves?

Festivities?
Give always?
Food options?

This thread could help you get what you want.

And keep it realistic.

honestly, giveaways and a full meet and greet/autograph session would do it for me (and the kid, though he loved the throwing and running competitions last year)

honestly, giveaways and a full meet and greet/autograph session would do it for me (and the kid, though he loved the throwing and running competitions last year)
Full meet and greet/ autographs is not going to happen this year. That’s going to be a spring game only thing now it looks like.

Dino stuff aside, this game has the highest potential no-shows and lowest potential walk up sales. Coming after a hopeful program changing win.

Do anything to draw folks in.

Not for nothing, but I've heard 3rd hand that Babers is more difficult to work with than Shaffer ever was in terms of facilities. Not in a sense that he's a jerk, just that he knows what he wants and won't settle for less.

I'm fine with that and think he's earned that control......

The good ones usually are. Wins don't come easy

From my perspective, there isn’t anything more to be gained (experience wise) in a Fan Fest vs this year’s Spring Game. My kids had some amazing experiences at the Spring Game (cheering on the field and getting to work with real Syracuse cheerleaders for one).

I figured this was just to try to boost attendance for a game I’m assuming won’t have a huge draw. With the tweaks they made to the Spring Game, I can live with that.

From my perspective, there isn’t anything more to be gained (experience wise) in a Fan Fest vs this year’s Spring Game. My kids had some amazing experiences at the Spring Game (cheering on the field and getting to work with real Syracuse cheerleaders for one).

I figured this was just to try to boost attendance for a game I’m assuming won’t have a huge draw. With the tweaks they made to the Spring Game, I can live with that.
This is my take as well. What I enjoyed growing up was the chance to rub elbows. Same for my son today. If fanfest as we know it is gone, then the spring game needs to continue to go the way it has. And this year may have been the best ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom