FANFEST CANCELLED | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

FANFEST CANCELLED

I'll give you that, perhaps I wasn't considering the scale of the event in regards to our local homeless population, we aren't exactly NYC so yeah ok, still it's friggin Syracuse, I have watched weather forecasts call for a 0% chance of rain as it's pouring outside and I've seen them call for extreme conditions to have it be sunny with 10mph winds and it happens frequently. A lot can change with a weather pattern in 30+ hours. Forecast on channel 9 says showers and thunderstorms, heavy rain a good bet. A good bet? That's scientific right there.

I get what you're saying about the other stuff in regards to it being for kids and what not.

You will get no argument from me that the weather forecasting for this area is spotty at best. With it being an event for kids though SU was in a no win situation. You get a few hundred kids up there and a thunderstorm breaks out and someone gets hurt running for cover and its lawsuit city. If this was mostly for STH and adults I think they would have given it until tomorrow morning but with the prospect of so many kids it was better to cancel now so parents/fans can adjust the schedule as needed. It also saves SU from trying to set up the field and BBQ and all the other outdoor events.

I think your making a good point about the weather in general but I don' t think it really applies to Fan Fest. You have an event that is really marketed toward kids where 95% of the event is outside. The weather is calling for thunderstorms and rain for most of the day. Its a pretty easy call for SU, I mean were talking about an event that is a glorified a scrimmage/practice with a bounce house and a catered bbq its not like they cancelled the season opener. SU doesn't want a thousand people scrambling at Manley when it opens up at 3:30 and people scattering all over causing god knows what issues.
It poured for a while last year if I recall correctly - people huddled in the IPF and made runs to the BBQ tent. It would be a nightmare tomorrow if it gets as bad as they think - at least last year it was known it was suposed to be a quick hit and over in time for the scrimmage and activities to still be available.

Sucks, but understandable.

I think your making a good point about the weather in general but I don' t think it really applies to Fan Fest. You have an event that is really marketed toward kids where 95% of the event is outside. The weather is calling for thunderstorms and rain for most of the day. Its a pretty easy call for SU, I mean were talking about an event that is a glorified a scrimmage/practice with a bounce house and a catered bbq its not like they cancelled the season opener. SU doesn't want a thousand people scrambling at Manley when it opens up at 3:30 and people scattering all over causing god knows what issues.
Total bummer.

JeremyCuse said:
Tought break for sure. If your still gonna be in the area let me know can take you to a few of the newer breweries around the area.

Ughh idk what my plans are now. Should be on a plane back to Alaska. Extending to Sunday was almost double the price.

I'll hit you up if I make it to town

30+ hours in advance? We aren't tracking some hurricane coming in off the coast. How many times have we braced for inclement weather only to get a 5 min downpour? I feel this call was really premature. Definitely could have waited until tomorrow morning IMO.

It's the threat of lightning strikes that coincides with the timing of the event.

It's the threat of lightning strikes that coincides with the timing of the event.
What forecast are you looking at that is predicting lighting strikes in this area more than 24 hours in advance? I have researched this weather 'event' fairly in depth at this point. The forecast for tomorrow is calling for scattered showers and a thunderstorm at some point, I have yet to see a significant weather warning issued. There are flash flood warnings in effect for 3 counties tomorrow from 8am-8pm. Onondaga is not one of them. They haven't cancelled the Celtic fest at Longbranch, they haven't cancelled the concerts at the amp this weekend, as a matter of fact has anything else been cancelled for tomorrow based on weather at all?

I have also had the thought after seeing Dino's speech to the team and comments regarding another open practice, that just possibly this isn't about the weather. Dino may have been against this event from the start and well telling Syverud to take any opportunity he had to cancel. I know it sounds pretty far-fetched, I openly admit it, but the reality is Dino doesn't want people at practice and feels a wasted practice is a lost practice and you don't get that back. I don't think putting on a show for the fans and not being able to work on schemes and the things you really want could be considered anything other than a wasted practice.

Last edited:
What forecast are you looking at that is predicting lighting strikes in this area more than 24 hours in advance? I have researched this weather 'event' fairly in depth at this point. The forecast for tomorrow is calling for scattered showers and a thunderstorm at some point, I have yet to see a significant weather warning issued. There are flash flood warnings in effect for 3 counties tomorrow from 8am-8pm. Onondaga is not one of them. They haven't cancelled the Celtic fest at Longbranch, they haven't cancelled the concerts at the amp this weekend, as a matter of fact has anything else been cancelled for tomorrow based on weather at all?

When there's humidity like this, we can have a storm pop up at any time with little warning. If a cell like the one that passed through a couple hours ago were to pop up at 4:00 p.m. tomorrow, it'd be a disaster - best case, a thousand soaked and angry people; worst, tents hitting people and lightning strikes. This is a bummer, but SU can't mess around with that. A strong thunderstorm is pretty much guaranteed tomorrow afternoon, with that in mind, there's no good reason for SU to bring everyone out there and invite that risk.

A strong thunderstorm is pretty much guaranteed tomorrow afternoon.

We shall see. At this point it's already cancelled and I've made other plans but I've lived in CNY far too long to think that any weather that is predicted is guaranteed unless I see the Nor'easter coming up the coast myself. This whole 'event' is predicated on 3 things all happening at once, if they don't then this is much ado about nothing.

that sucks i had golf and fand fan fest scheduled for a perfect Saturday...damn

I have also had the thought after seeing Dino's speech to the team and comments regarding another open practice, that just possibly this isn't about the weather. Dino may have been against this event from the start and well telling Syverud to take any opportunity he had to cancel. I know it sounds pretty far-fetched, I openly admit it, but the reality is Dino doesn't want people at practice and feels a wasted practice is a lost practice and you don't get that back. I don't think putting on a show for the fans and not being able to work on schemes and the things you really want could be considered anything other than a wasted practice.
All schools have a public scrimmage. Dino also wants to boost public support to give the team a bigger home field advantage.

Just my opinion but SU (Babers) cut the trip up north to Fort Drum to one non practice day and now the Fan Fest has been cancelled. He gives no info about injuries or how individual players are doing. Any goodwill lost by cancelling will be made up by a couple of upset wins. He will get his guys another 175 reps without showing anybody anything. He Means Business and He Wants To Win Now!

We live in CNY, the weather forecast is right about 50% of the time, if that. I really don't think THAT many people outside a 60 mile radius are coming in for this. Those out of towners that are, can make the decision not to come on their own. The problem I have with this is the recent media sensationalism especially when it comes to weather forecasts lately. Polar Vortex...we used to call it a cold snap, everything has to sound like it's scene from that movie The Day After Tomorrow.
Coming in from South Jersey

Just my opinion but SU (Babers) cut the trip up north to Fort Drum to one non practice day and now the Fan Fest has been cancelled. He gives no info about injuries or how individual players are doing. Any goodwill lost by cancelling will be made up by a couple of upset wins. He will get his guys another 175 reps without showing anybody anything. He Means Business and He Wants To Win Now!

Unless Babers can make it rain (literally not talking about throwing money around) he had no say in the Fan Fest being canceled. Nobody could predict the weather on the day of the Fan Fest months out and he had zero say in it getting canceled. The Fort Drum thing is a big waste of time now that we have a state of the art indoor practice facility. You don't leave the lap of luxury that has everything you possibly need in arms length to go up and play GI Joe for a few days. Before the IPF it's not like SU was leaving anything behind by going there for however many days, now they are leaving everything behind.

You are reading way too much into this.

2:00 PM
SAT, AUG 13
Scattered Thunderstorms
90° 101° 35% 59% SW 9 mph

3:00 PM
SAT, AUG 13
Scattered Thunderstorms
90° 100° 55% 60% SW 9 mph

4:00 PM
SAT, AUG 13
Thunderstorms
89° 99° 75% 63% SW 8 mph

5:00 PM
SAT, AUG 13
Thunderstorms
85° 94° 70% 74% SSW 8 mph

6:00 PM
SAT, AUG 13
Heavy Thunderstorms
84° 93° 65% 73% S 7 mph

7:00 PM
SAT, AUG 13
Thunderstorms
84° 92° 65% 71% SSW 7 mph

8:00 PM
SAT, AUG 13
Thunderstorms
83° 90° 85% 74% SW 6 mph

9:00 PM
SAT, AUG 13
Thunderstorms
80° 86° 80% 82% SSW 7 mph

10:00 PM
SAT, AUG 13
Scattered Thunderstorms
79° 85° 55% 83% SSW 8 mph

thunderstorm.svgz

Closed practice today I presume?

And I guarantee that HCDB had some say in the cancellation of the fan fest. Doesn't sound like we have much time to waste. A fan fest "scrimmage" is basically a waste of a practice day.

Stern said:
Unless Babers can make it rain (literally not talking about throwing money around) he had no say in the Fan Fest being canceled. Nobody could predict the weather on the day of the Fan Fest months out and he had zero say in it getting canceled. The Fort Drum thing is a big waste of time now that we have a state of the art indoor practice facility. You don't leave the lap of luxury that has everything you possibly need in arms length to go up and play GI Joe for a few days. Before the IPF it's not like SU was leaving anything behind by going there for however many days, now they are leaving everything behind.

You are reading way too much into this.

Yup agreed, Ive always thought the Fort drum thing could be done on a few non practice days S&C staff and Army Drill Sargents supervise active time & obsticles. Coaching staff supervises team meeting time. If properly arranged it falls under the new more felexible permissible rules setup for offseason S&C film study and team meetings. Pointless to waste practice days on something that can clearly be called S&C.

Id still like to see it be an overnight (wonder if the ncaa rules apply to that) but I see that as a possibility once Babers is comfortable his system is installed. Lots of strategy and team meeting conversations to be had with military officers about taking what the defense gives you / exploiting opponents weakness.

In terms of fan fest sad it was cancelled but Wins would make up for it awful quick. I think that goes for all of us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom