Fanfest Observations | Syracusefan.com

Fanfest Observations

suloyalfan

2nd String
At the risk of duplicating the efforts of others who have already posted, I'm posting my observations from Fanfest yesterday evening. I apologize in advance for any information that's already been covered by others in previous threads...

- The beef has arrived on the DL. I know it's been previously discussed, but the size that Syracuse can put out on the front line this season is impressive. It remains to be seen whether or not they can actually play.

- The skill positions are finally coming together. There should be no shortage of offensive weapons this year with the depth and talent that we have a WR, TE, and RB. If the OL can pass block and open some holes the offense should be much improved with a much greater chance for big plays.

- The WR corp has alot of good looking athletes. Lemon and Sales are no surprise and both looked good. However, I thought that Keenan Hale, Jarrod West, Jeremiah Kobena, and Adrian Flemming have improved. I am picking Flemming to have a breakout season. I thought that he looked long, lean, and very smooth running routes and after catching the ball. Add in the newcomers Funderburk, Ashton Broyld, Ben Lewis, and Alvin Cornelius and the group of receivers seems very deep and impressive. That isn't even counting Kyle Foster who's out for the year with an injury.

- TE looks to be a position of strength this year. Thompson and Wales are the biggest threats to make big plays. Thompson will definitely create matchup problems. He caught everything thrown his way that I saw, including a great catch in traffic over the middle with 3 defenders surrounding him. He broke tackles after he caught the ball and runs well. Wales also made some good catches and played well. Max Beaulieu made one of the biggest hits of the day with a vicious open field block. Josh Parris has good size, but looked like he ran with heavy legs. He's a smaller, slower version of Thompson. I'm not saying he won't be a good player, just looks like he's behind
Thompson at this point.

- The group of running backs that we have is starting to look pretty good. Jerome Smith and AAM are the hammers, PTG and Rene are the change of pace backs. Morris and Broyld are both somewhere in between. Morris had the best run of the day, blowing through the line for what would have been a home run. Broyld looked elusive and dangerous each time he had the ball in his hands. He does need to work on catching the ball out of the backfield, as he had a few drops during the scrimmage.

- Punt returners were PTG, Julian Whigham, Ashton Broyld, and Steve Rene. I thought that Rene looked the best. Broyld looked like he was learning the technique, but didn't look smooth out there yet.

- Keon Lyn took his shoulder pads off halfway through practice and walked off the field. Marrone broke away from practice and walked all the way off from mid field to the tunnel with him. Not sure what happened, but he didn't appear to be injured and returned later and finished out the practice.

- Early in the practice Macky got blown up by Crume and was driven into another blocker. He was shaken up and was replaced by Jason Emerich. Emerich appeared to hold his own much better against Crume for the remainder of the series of plays. He did whiff on a block downfield on one of the plays when he was trying to get to a LB.

- Lou Alexander looks to be running well. He got out nicely on a swing pass to PTG and made a nice block on the corner. I was impressed that he got out in front of the play before PTG got there.

- Marcus Coleman was in full pads, but was held out of drills. Ben Barrett and Davon Walls were in shorts and helmets only.

- Ri'Shard Anderson, Jason Bromley, and Ryan Sloan were not practicing. The cause of there absence was unknown, but was later explained by Nolan on Syracuse.com.

- Durell Eskridge was hobbling at the end of practice. Not much else to report here. He was a full participant through the whole practice.

Overall, I thought the team looked good and was encouraged by what I saw. I think that the team is finally turning the corner with size, talent, and numbers. Now they need to put it together on the field on game day and I think we'll have a successful season. It's unfortunate that the schedule is so tough this year, but I still think that the team is capable of winning 7-9 games based on what I saw.

I'm guessing Lyn was a dehydration issue. He looked fine when he came back on the field.

Awesome post, thanks for sharing. Some nice new tidbits and some reinforcement on what others have shared which has been entirely positive unlike years past.

Always better to have too much or repeat info than none at all plus it's nice reading different perspectives from people watching the same things.

Personally, I wasn't impressed with any skilled players. I think we are still in the bottom half of the BE as far as skilled talent. We were spoiled with good running backs, it's hard to get used to these ho-hum backfields.

Ron Thompson looks like a future star and Broyld looks like a raw athlete and reminds me of Mike Williams.

At the risk of duplicating the efforts of others who have already posted, I'm posting my observations from Fanfest yesterday evening. I apologize in advance for any information that's already been covered by others in previous threads...

- The beef has arrived on the DL. I know it's been previously discussed, but the size that Syracuse can put out on the front line this season is impressive. It remains to be seen whether or not they can actually play.

- The skill positions are finally coming together. There should be no shortage of offensive weapons this year with the depth and talent that we have a WR, TE, and RB. If the OL can pass block and open some holes the offense should be much improved with a much greater chance for big plays.

- The WR corp has alot of good looking athletes. Lemon and Sales are no surprise and both looked good. However, I thought that Keenan Hale, Jarrod West, Jeremiah Kobena, and Adrian Flemming have improved. I am picking Flemming to have a breakout season. I thought that he looked long, lean, and very smooth running routes and after catching the ball. Add in the newcomers Funderburk, Ashton Broyld, Ben Lewis, and Alvin Cornelius and the group of receivers seems very deep and impressive. That isn't even counting Kyle Foster who's out for the year with an injury.

- TE looks to be a position of strength this year. Thompson and Wales are the biggest threats to make big plays. Thompson will definitely create matchup problems. He caught everything thrown his way that I saw, including a great catch in traffic over the middle with 3 defenders surrounding him. He broke tackles after he caught the ball and runs well. Wales also made some good catches and played well. Max Beaulieu made one of the biggest hits of the day with a vicious open field block. Josh Parris has good size, but looked like he ran with heavy legs. He's a smaller, slower version of Thompson. I'm not saying he won't be a good player, just looks like he's behind
Thompson at this point.

- The group of running backs that we have is starting to look pretty good. Jerome Smith and AAM are the hammers, PTG and Rene are the change of pace backs. Morris and Broyld are both somewhere in between. Morris had the best run of the day, blowing through the line for what would have been a home run. Broyld looked elusive and dangerous each time he had the ball in his hands. He does need to work on catching the ball out of the backfield, as he had a few drops during the scrimmage.

- Punt returners were PTG, Julian Whigham, Ashton Broyld, and Steve Rene. I thought that Rene looked the best. Broyld looked like he was learning the technique, but didn't look smooth out there yet.

- Keon Lyn took his shoulder pads off halfway through practice and walked off the field. Marrone broke away from practice and walked all the way off from mid field to the tunnel with him. Not sure what happened, but he didn't appear to be injured and returned later and finished out the practice.

- Early in the practice Macky got blown up by Crume and was driven into another blocker. He was shaken up and was replaced by Jason Emerich. Emerich appeared to hold his own much better against Crume for the remainder of the series of plays. He did whiff on a block downfield on one of the plays when he was trying to get to a LB.

- Lou Alexander looks to be running well. He got out nicely on a swing pass to PTG and made a nice block on the corner. I was impressed that he got out in front of the play before PTG got there.

- Marcus Coleman was in full pads, but was held out of drills. Ben Barrett and Davon Walls were in shorts and helmets only.

- Ri'Shard Anderson, Jason Bromley, and Ryan Sloan were not practicing. The cause of there absence was unknown, but was later explained by Nolan on Syracuse.com.

- Durell Eskridge was hobbling at the end of practice. Not much else to report here. He was a full participant through the whole practice.

Overall, I thought the team looked good and was encouraged by what I saw. I think that the team is finally turning the corner with size, talent, and numbers. Now they need to put it together on the field on game day and I think we'll have a successful season. It's unfortunate that the schedule is so tough this year, but I still think that the team is capable of winning 7-9 games based on what I saw.

I was unable to make yesterday's event because of a work commitment, but I'm with you on Fleming. I've been waiting for the "light to go on with him" as he has unlimited athletic ability and can really help this team as a playmaker.

Personally, I wasn't impressed with any skilled players. I think we are still in the bottom half of the BE as far as skilled talent. We were spoiled with good running backs, it's hard to get used to these ho-hum backfields.

Ron Thompson looks like a future star and Broyld looks like a raw athlete and reminds me of Mike Williams.

The skilled players that caught my eye yesterday were Flemming, Hale, Morris, and Thompson. I think were better off than you think. Some of the new guys may not light it up this year, but I really believe that there a few game changers on the roster right now.

Who do you think are the top 10 skill position players in the Big East this year? Or, who are the top 3 on each team?

Awesome post, thanks for sharing. Some nice new tidbits and some reinforcement on what others have shared which has been entirely positive unlike years past.

Always better to have too much or repeat info than none at all plus it's nice reading different perspectives from people watching the same things.
Agreed. Thanks for posting.

I don't know all the BE rosters. But I know how we looked last year vs. the BE and I don't really see any upgrades.

The skilled players that caught my eye yesterday were Flemming, Hale, Morris, and Thompson. I think were better off than you think. Some of the new guys may not light it up this year, but I really believe that there a few game changers on the roster right now.

Who do you think are the top 10 skill position players in the Big East this year? Or, who are the top 3 on each team?

I don't know all the BE rosters. But I know how we looked last year vs. the BE and I don't really see any upgrades.
Broyld, Thompson ... Sales returns, Gulley is back that is on offense

JUCO DL

we have improved size, speed, and depth

Only talking offensive skill players.

Who are Broyld and Thompson upgrades over? I'm not talking about potential. I'm talking about out starters talent vs. the rest of the league's.

Broyld, Thompson ... Sales returns, Gulley is back that is on offense

Broyld - good enough that he will play multiple positions as a frosh
Thompson would have been the #2 TE last year behind Provo

As far as Broyld... I'm not saying the kid is not going to be great in the future. You can tell just by watching him that he is special. But I don't think he'll be an upgrade over any starter from last year. This is his first year and he's playing new position(s) plural. People have unreasonable expectations in my opinion.

Thompson also looks GREAT. But I doubt he's better than a 5-year senior in Provo, which is what I said... An upgrade over which starter from
Last year.

Broyld - good enough that he will play multiple positions as a frosh
Thompson would have been the #2 TE last year behind Provo

As far as Broyld... I'm not saying the kid is not going to be great in the future. You can tell just by watching him that he is special. But I don't think he'll be an upgrade over any starter from last year. This is his first year and he's playing new position(s) plural. People have unreasonable expectations in my opinion.

Thompson also looks GREAT. But I doubt he's better than a 5-year senior in Provo, which is what I said... An upgrade over which starter from
Last year.
we play two tight ends .. and he is better than wales was last year
Broyld is better than what we had

Only talking offensive skill players.

Who are Broyld and Thompson upgrades over? I'm not talking about potential. I'm talking about out starters talent vs. the rest of the league's.

Broyld > Graham
Sales > Injured Chew
Thompson >Last years Wales
Healthy Lemon > Wounded Lemon
This year RB options > Last years RB options

Broyld > Graham
Sales > Injured Chew
I'm willing to buy everything except the upgraded RB position...but that's really discounting how important Ant was to the team and the offense.

I'm willing to buy everything except the upgraded RB position...but that's really discounting how important Ant was to the team and the offense.

That's not a shot at Ant, he was our running game last year. He was great but he needed to have help and didn't get any. I hated the way we used him and he wasn't built for the beating he took. We should've used Smith on more carries earlier in the year especially after Gulley was hurt.

Last year's RB options were 1) Ant 2) Hurt 3) Fat 4) Underused
This years options are 1) Rome 2) Healthy 3) Wildcard playmaker 4) -30 lbs 5) Frosh that might be too good to redshirt

As a group, this years RB's are greater

We shall see. I really disagree with your RB assessment. No one on this team is close to Ant as a senior. And I'm not sure this years platoon can be considered an upgrade over Ant. We certainly have more options though.

By your estimation, Thompson is our #1 TE. That spot was Provo. Beckett is still #2. Last years offense vs. this years.

WR is the only area where we may have made a slight upgrade, but I personally don't see it.

I'm hoping I'm wrong and we end up in the top half of the BE.

Broyld > Graham
Sales > Injured Chew

We shall see. I really disagree with your RB assessment. No one on this team is close to Ant as a senior. And I'm not sure this years platoon can be considered an upgrade over Ant. We certainly have more options though.

By your estimation, Thompson is our #1 TE. That spot was Provo. Beckett is still #2. Last years offense vs. this years.

WR is the only area where we may have made a slight upgrade, but I personally don't see it.

I'm hoping I'm wrong and we end up in the top half of the BE.

Will be a convo to have a few games into and at the end of the season. You can't really tell me we don't have anyone as good as Ant last year anymore than i can tell you that we do at this point.

WR will be better just because of health much less players progressing. Our starting WRs last had A) 1 arm and B) 1 leg. Our best WR is back, healthy, and probably even better know being a year older.

By my current estimation at TE Wales is our #1 TE. Overall: Provo>This years Wales >/= Thompson > Last years Wales

There's not really concrete points to be made either way though until we see the team in action though so :noidea:

Last year.

I don't think we'll be any worse than last year in skilled positions either. If Nassib completes some of the bombs then there isn't much to discuss because we're a bowl team with better offensive numbers.

I'm taking glass half full and assuming Sales makes us better until he proves me wrong. He's a much more talented overall WR than Chew or Dorian. I also think a healthy PTG will help offset the Bailey loss.

Hasn't been a home run back here since Reyes, so I'm used to it by now.

We shall see. I really disagree with your RB assessment. No one on this team is close to Ant as a senior. And I'm not sure this years platoon can be considered an upgrade over Ant.

You can't say that definitively based just upon yesterday's fanfest.

I'm in "wait and see" mode with Smith, but I am intrigued by the prospect of having three entirely different backs at Wheatley's disposal. Really excited in particular to see what Smith / Ameen-Moore can do--Adonis dropped a ton of weight this offseason.

By my current estimation at TE Wales is our #1 TE. Overall: Provo>This years Wales >/= Thompson > Last years Wales

This wasn't the point you were making, so I'm not directing this your way, IO--but I think logic like the above misses the point. Last year we had Provo / Stevens and not much else.

This year we've got Wales / Stevens [who should be more consistent than last year] / Thompson. The point is, add as many playmakers as you can to give defenses lots of stuff to account for. It doesn't matter as much to me that none of our players this season will be as good as Provo was last year--I think we have a better TE corps than we did last year, and that we have guys who are capable of doing things when they've got the ball in their hands.

Until proven otherwise, this team still lacks playmakers, but we're headed in the right direction--no question in my mind.

Bailey wasn't good last year. I would say he was a poor RB. Any of the players on this years roster are a significant upgrade. Bailey was one of the biggest reasons SU didn't make a bowl game.

He fumbled a lot and at critical points of games. He didn't even block well. IMO is that losing him is a gain by attrition. He simply wasn't good.

I think Gayle Sayers would have had problems last year with the way our offensive line run blocked.

With that line you needed Jim Brown...a back who could make his own holes, by running over tacklers. Ant wasn't that kind of back. He needed someone to give him some room to run. We didn't do that.

I like our RB's this year, but unless we scare defenses with our passing game and loosen up the run defenses I'm not sure that we have an offensive line that can make many running backs look good?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseAlum07

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom