FanFest - Pre-event | Syracusefan.com

FanFest - Pre-event

Consigliere

Co 2020 Cali Award Winner, Record Thru 5 Games
I was fortunate enough to be invited to a pre-FanFest VIP Barbecue yesterday. Not much to add from other posts about the event itself - about 700 in attendance. Balcony at Manley about 3/4 full. The three semi- injured players (not counting Enoicy who I didn't see) were there in jerseys. Black and Servais were moving around well - Black's brace is little more than an extended wrap. Pickard, however was fitted with a large, cumbersome brace and wasn't able to move well in it at all. Walked very gingerly and seemed like the knee was completely immobilized. The first 30 minutes of the main event consisted of position drills scattered around the Manley floor. Team was coming off of a full practice so understandably little energy. Would have liked to have seen the position coaches miked up to engage with the crowd - introduce their players and describe the drills. Would have been a nice touch. The 11 vs. air plays that Bailey described were run at the far end of the Field House during the very last few minutes and frankly I didn't even notice them. Must have been watching the D-backs at the time. A couple of drills stood out. D-backs were running a blitz and strip drill - wait a count, blitz of the edge and focus on stripping the QB from the blind side. Fits in with some of Dino's comments that I'll get into in a bit. WR / TEs ran a drill where there were intentionally off target passes that they tried to catch. Some GREAT hands in this group. I know we've been overly optimistic before but Custis really stood out. Made some Beckham-esque one handed grabs on throws well over his head. Can't imagine this not being a prime red zone weapon. During the entire workout - this drill, some RVAs and base passing drills I noticed only one drop requiring pushups and that was by Erv.

The pre event BBQ was another nice attempt by the University to show some appreciation to the premium level ticket holders who took a hit with the new pricing plan. Food was nothing special - grilled chicken quarters, pulled pork, burgers, cole slaw, baked beans and desserts. Anthony DiFino opened the program with a welcome and introduced Chris Fuller who spoke for about 10 minutes. He started with a brief tribute and moment of silence for Coach Mac then talked about appreciation of the fan base and dedication of the entire department to support the football program and return to the glory days of Syracuse football. I had a chance to meet and talk to Chris and Bob Arkeilpane both fairly new to the staff. Us old-timers will remember Bob from the late 70's and early 80s playing on the Art Monk / Joe Morris era teams. Those concerned with John Wildhack's lack of direct experience running a collegiate athletic department need only check out the bios of these two and some of the other recent hires in the administration. Wildhack's plan seems to be hire quality people - both in overall athletics administration and additions to the football support staff, enhance facilities and give Dino everything he needs to succeed. Granted I never take off my Orange colored glasses but it sure seems like things are moving forward.

Dino came in for the last 30 minutes of the Barbecue - gave a brief speech and asked for questions. As anticipated an awkward silence ensued and Dino joked he could just practice his mic drop and head for the buffet. A brave soul finally asked "How's Dungey?" Dino said Eric was doing great. Had an excellent scrimmage yesterday and a very strong practice earlier in the afternoon. Said he finally has the "butt slide" down that should keep him on the field all year. An older gentlemen remarked how well he thought the team held up in the brutal heat in the Dome in early September last year. Dino thought that was an excellent observation and said that we had a very unique conditioning program that he would not share but that gives us an advantage on the field in those conditions. Said it would get a real test in Baton Rouge. He went on to say "I know you all want air conditioning but I love the Dome. I LOVE the Dome. I LOVE THE DOME!"
Next question was about how we would replace Etta Tawo. Dino said it's always tough to lose your number one guy, but a year ago we didn;t even know he WAS the number one guy. Said Stevie Ishmael is having a great camp ane he expects big numbers. Talked about Erv a bit and how he will be even better than last year. Mentioned there is a mix of returning players ready to step up and some exciting new comers to watch. then mentioned Ravian Pierce as adding an element we did not have last year and the effect he will have on the passing game to the middle of the field.
I gave Dino a choice between an easy question or a tough one. He went for the tough one and I noted that recent losses have really seemed to hurt the depth on the defensive line. "Give us a reason to be optimistic about that unit." Might just be me but Dino seemed uncomfortable with the question and almost a little miffed with the way I asked it questioning a reason to be optimistic. Also noted that this was the only position group he was asked about where he mentioned absolutely no one by name. Basically he said the players on the field will need to step up and they know that and that the staff is continuously challenge them. Mentioned last year we lost 3 starting O-linemen early and plugged the young guys in and kept moving. He stopped then said - "What was the easy question?" So I asked him what the best movie he has seen recently. He thought that was an even tougher question then talked about Wonder Woman and his early obsession with Lynda Carter and raved about Baby Driver saying he will be in line to buy tickets for Baby Driver 8.
Next question was about the running game. Dino talked about Strickland, mentioned Pierre and said the biggest difference will be that they can use a real fullback this year - a real BIG fullback. Said Elmore is a bit like a baby elephant back there now but the will have him ready to go and that he will make a big impact with the inside running game.
Final question came for a very young fan - no microphone so Dino went over knelt down with his mic and gave the kid a chance to ask his question. "Will we win?" And Dino and the crowd went wild.

Forgot to mention. When Dino was talking about the D-Line he mentioned something to the effect that we will need other positions to help out in pressuring the quarterback. No additional detail, of course. Could be plugging in LBs in the defensive front on obvious passing downs, straight forward LB blitzes or bringing DBs, in line with the drill I mention above. Playing with fire in a Tampa 2, but need to generate pressure one way or another and not allow the opposing QB to sit back and pick his spots.

Forgot to mention. When Dino was talking about the D-Line he mentioned something to the effect that we will need other positions to help out in pressuring the quarterback. No additional detail, of course. Could be plugging in LBs in the defensive front on obvious passing downs, straight forward LB blitzes or bringing DBs, in line with the drill I mention above. Playing with fire in a Tampa 2, but need to generate pressure one way or another and not allow the opposing QB to sit back and pick his spots.

Wow cannot believe you asked about the DL. It's an "incredibly sore subject" for the coaching staff...without rehashing the topic we know why right?

By the way - great write up!

Last edited:
Wow cannot believe you asked about the DL. It's an "incredibly sore subject" for the coaching staff...without rehashing the topic we know why right?

By the way - great write up!

Hey! Gave him the choice - easy question or hard! :)
And it was very clear that Dino was not comfortable with the subject even though I left it vague - no mention of DQs or injuries. Seriously was hoping he would take the opportunity to talk about some of the youngsters. Was a bit concerned that he didn't bring up a single name.

Hey! Gave him the choice - easy question or hard! :)
And it was very clear that Dino was not comfortable with the subject even though I left it vague - no mention of DQs or injuries. Seriously was hoping he would take the opportunity to talk about some of the youngsters. Was a bit concerned that he didn't bring up a single name.
Let's hope a couple of the youngsters are doing great and he is just holding his cards close to the vest so the opposition will not be prepared for the bloodbath to come.

He and the staff did a great job last year not talking about Amba all preseason...

Thanks for the write up. Strangely, what I liked the most was that Dino mentioned two movies that were released this summer. Football coaches are such insane workaholics that I can think of some SU head coaches in recent memory who might have had to harken back to a movie a decade old. Dino might actually be a human being, that's reassuring. ;)

Thanks for the write up. Strangely, what I liked the most was that Dino mentioned two movies that were released this summer. Football coaches are such insane workaholics that I can think of some SU head coaches in recent memory who might have had to harken back to a movie a decade old. Dino might actually be a human being, that's reassuring. ;)
Dino is a notorious cinemaphile. In fact his first response was to say he hasn't had a chance to see Detroit or Dunkirk last week and he was going to find an opportunity to fit those in.

Well there's this movie Star Wars that just came out, and let me tell you...

Dino is a notorious cinemaphile. In fact his first response was to say he hasn't had a chance to see Detroit or Dunkirk last week and he was going to find an opportunity to fit those in.

That's awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom