FANTASTIC article on ESPN | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

FANTASTIC article on ESPN

Eh, I might. And if Marrone was at his own 30 and went for a 4th and 2 and it failed and he said in the presser that he did it because he was certain he could get two yards, how can I argue with that?

A few years back there was that infamous Monday Night game where the Pats went for it on a 4th and 2 from their own 26, up 5 (I think) with a couple minutes left. Pass was completed right at the stick and the Colts took over, scored, and won.

Belichick was crushed for the decision, but I LOVED it. He had confidence that his O could get 2 measely yards, and if they had the game was ovah. Plus Peyton had spent the previous 2 quarters destroying the Pats D, so Bill knew that if he punted the ball back to him chances were very high that he'd march down and score anyway.

Point is, I respect and support any coach who plays to win, and not to prolong a potential loss.

How can you say field position was important in this game with a straight face when they had an 76 yard reverse on the 1st play from the 20 after the punt?

The point is USC offense = good. Doesn't matter where you give them ball. We needed possession not field position.

And this isn't hindsight. I was saying it at the time.

Of course it mattered. USC had one long drive through 3 quarters. They had two completion of more than 20 yds to that point. There were 12 minutes left. They had given up one TD on a short field in the second half.

In fact it did matter where they were given the ball the whole game.

It's not hindsight, you knew they were going to go for 76 yds on a reverse?

Good for Nassib. I hope the players respectfully talk to marrone about this stuff and hopefully get through to him

It was posted here earlier, and I caught it too. But the camera was on Hackett when the punt team was sent out for the earlier punt on the 32 yard line. I won't say he was angry, because that's not his personality. But you can clearly it bothered him, he wanted to go for it. I know some will say that's why OCs aren't HCs, but just found it interesting.

It was posted here earlier, and I caught it too. But the camera was on Hackett when the punt team was sent out for the earlier punt on the 32 yard line. I won't say he was angry, because that's not his personality. But you can clearly it bothered him, he wanted to go for it. I know some will say that's why OCs aren't HCs, but just found it interesting.
he looked kinda like i do when my kid does something insane. frozen with fake calm. must.. not... let...on...

Of course it mattered. USC had one long drive through 3 quarters. They had two completion of more than 20 yds to that point. There were 12 minutes left. They had given up one TD on a short field in the second half.

i knew it was stupid.

you don't just ignore short fields when they score every time they could still move the ball.

"they won't get a first down because they haven't had long drives because they have good kick returners and score on fewer plays"... that seems so much smarter than what non xs and os guys think "USC is good they were good, they are good and they will be good. don't give them the ball on purpose if you're already desperate"

USC scored on the 3 of their 4 possessions prior to that punt. They scored on a 9 play, 75 yard drive near the end of the 2nd quarter. Then scored on an 8 play, 43 yard drive after the picked Nassib to open the 3rd. Then scored on a 6 play 50 yard drive after we scored to cut it to 21-10.

Saying that they had "one long drive" is a little disengenuos. They scored on drives of 43 and 50 yards (not 20 or something) in the 3rd quarter. Shamarko's pick was fantastic, but we hadn't stopped them 3-and-out since the 7:30 mark of the 2nd quarter. And we were down 12.

I just think it was a terrible misreading of game conditions by Marrone

Go, you might want to sit down for this...

It's ok to admit that Marrone was wrong.

You'll be ok. Take deep breaths, put your feet up, relax a little bit. I'll come check on you in half an hour.

USC scored on the 3 of their 4 possessions prior to that punt. They scored on a 9 play, 75 yard drive near the end of the 2nd quarter. Then scored on an 8 play, 43 yard drive after the picked Nassib to open the 3rd. Then scored on a 6 play 50 yard drive after we scored to cut it to 21-10.

Saying that they had "one long drive" is a little disengenuos. They scored on drives of 43 and 50 yards (not 20 or something) in the 3rd quarter. Shamarko's pick was fantastic, but we hadn't stopped them 3-and-out since the 7:30 mark of the 2nd quarter. And we were down 12.

I just think it was a terrible misreading of game conditions by Marrone
our kicking game has figured out a foolproof way to prevent our defense from giving up long scoring drives, even if the other team scores every time

TMQ pointed out that arkansas punted inside LA Monroe's 40 late in the game. (4th and 5 from the 39)

That makes the contrast that much clearer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom