Far from done with NCAA | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Far from done with NCAA

I have been saying since October I think we are self-imposing a 3 scholarship reduction this year as we haven't heard about any walkons on scholarship this season. We have 10 scholarship athletes this season.
Or at least a single reduction. I don't have any inside information, but if SU was really expecting to keep Ennis and Grant this year, there's two of the scholarships.

How is losing 3 scholarships for next year not punitive?

Do you have our 4 incoming recruits draw straws, and the short straw gets to stay?

Do you tell Cooney and Gbinije not to let the door hit them in the ass on the way out?

Steelcage match between BJ, Buss and Chino?
3 pt shooting contest between Buss/BJ/Chino...whoever draws iron gets the scholly...

I posted something yesterday on one of the other NCAA threads, taken from the U. Miami site, which details the NCAA investigation process. According to that, at the conclusion of the NCAA's investigation, they issue something called a "Notice of Violations", which does *not* have to be made public. After this is received, the school has a 90 day window to appeal. It sounds like from the reports we're getting that we're in that period now. Here's the relevant excerpt from the U. Miami site:

"At the conclusion of the investigative process for any NCAA case, the enforcement staff makes a determination of what, if any, NCAA bylaws and rules it believes have been broken by the institution, its staff or student-athletes or associated parties. If, in their determination, violations did occur, the NCAA staff issues a Notice of Allegations to the institution, detailing the bylaws alleged to have been violated and providing supporting evidence. The issuance of the Notice of Allegations is not announced publicly by the NCAA nor is it released by the NCAA. Member institutions may, at their own choosing, release parts of or all of the Notice of Allegations to the public.
Well, Miami certainly should be familiar with the NCAA investigative process.

So we gave White a scholarship and he would be athlete 11 on scholarship the basketball program has 2 more that aren't being used. Are we self imposing a 2 scholarship reduction for 2014-2015?

I posted something yesterday on one of the other NCAA threads, taken from the U. Miami site, which details the NCAA investigation process. According to that, at the conclusion of the NCAA's investigation, they issue something called a "Notice of Violations", which does *not* have to be made public. After this is received, the school has a 90 day window to appeal. It sounds like from the reports we're getting that we're in that period now. Here's the relevant excerpt from the U. Miami site:

"At the conclusion of the investigative process for any NCAA case, the enforcement staff makes a determination of what, if any, NCAA bylaws and rules it believes have been broken by the institution, its staff or student-athletes or associated parties. If, in their determination, violations did occur, the NCAA staff issues a Notice of Allegations to the institution, detailing the bylaws alleged to have been violated and providing supporting evidence. The issuance of the Notice of Allegations is not announced publicly by the NCAA nor is it released by the NCAA. Member institutions may, at their own choosing, release parts of or all of the Notice of Allegations to the public.

I think you have the procedure wrong. I think the Notice of Violations was what put us on notice that we would have to make an appearance at a hearing before the Infractions Committee back in the fall and told us what we would have to be prepared to defend ourselves against.

The next step is for that Committee to issue a written determination that arises from that hearing including penalties. I believe they typically release it to the Chancellor or his designee and then a short time later make it public. We would then have the right to appeal that decision and the penalties that were imposed in it.

Based on all the rumors it sounds like it has been made available to SU, but obviously has not yet been made public.

Do you have our 4 incoming recruits draw straws, and the short straw gets to stay?

Do you tell Cooney and Gbinije not to let the door hit them in the ass on the way out?

Chino wins that match 10 times out of 10.

I think you have the procedure wrong. I think the Notice of Violations was what put us on notice that we would have to make an appearance at a hearing before the Infractions Committee back in the fall and told us what we would have to be prepared to defend ourselves against.

The next step is for that Committee to issue a written determination that arises from that hearing including penalties. I believe they typically release it to the Chancellor or his designee and then a short time later make it public. We would then have the right to appeal that decision and the penalties that were imposed in it.

Based on all the rumors it sounds like it has been made available to SU, but obviously has not yet been made public.

You're right, didn't read that fully. My bad.

So we gave White a scholarship and he would be athlete 11 on scholarship the basketball program has 2 more that aren't being used. Are we self imposing a 2 scholarship reduction for 2014-2015?
I figured they *had* to give white the scholly for academic reasons/security. Not sure why else they'd use it this season.

TBCuse11 said:
Chino wins that match 10 times out of 10.

I don't know, he looks passive. I think you're underrating Buss in the match.

That would seem unusual as I don't think the time to appeal begins to run until the decision is announced publicly by the NCAA.

The appeal is pretty tough to win (meaning there has to have been an error - its not as though if you don't like the outcome you can appeal and get a different decision), so I don't think there is any incentive for Syracuse to move the process more quickly. If they have received a sanction that they intend to appeal I would expect them to move very deliberately.
You could be right, maybe the university was responding to a certain Alligation that could be considered an appeal

Obviously the last one

I figured they *had* to give white the scholly for academic reasons/security. Not sure why else they'd use it this season.
Interesting concept... give a scholarship to the Senior walkon with the highest GPA. Actually it would be to the one most likely to obtain the highest grades for the upcoming year. All bow to the great APR.

Interesting concept... give a scholarship to the Senior walkon with the highest GPA. Actually it would be to the one most likely to obtain the highest grades for the upcoming year. All bow to the great APR.

As far as I know the APR doesn't really care what your grades are, you just need to stay on course to graduate or whatever the language is they use.

As far as I know the APR doesn't really care what your grades are, you just need to stay on course to graduate or whatever the language is they use.

True, but usually the one with the best gpa is the best bet to stay eligible and graduate. It's really a poor measure of academics and encourages schools to put scholarship athletes in easier majors/courses.

We have not self imposed scholarship reductions this year.

Question for you - can the non-use of all our scholarships this year be something that can retroactively be leveraged in the future? For example, we get hit with scholarship reductions and we then apply this non-use of all 13 scholarships at that time?

We have not self imposed scholarship reductions this year.

If we are going to be a bubble team like it looks we are can we self impose a post season ban for the current year?

Question for you - can the non-use of all our scholarships this year be something that can retroactively be leveraged in the future? For example, we get hit with scholarship reductions and we then apply this non-use of all 13 scholarships at that time?

It can not. What your referencing is what Miami did in self imposing a 2 year bowl ban before the final sanctions came out knowing that the S was going to hit the fan. Syracuse cant retroactively go back and say they stripped themselves of 1 or 2 scholarships the past year.

It can not. What your referencing is what Miami did in self imposing a 2 year bowl ban before the final sanctions came out knowing that the S was going to hit the fan. Syracuse cant retroactively go back and say they stripped themselves of 1 or 2 scholarships the past year.
But a school can enable pedophilia. Makes sense.

After Donna took the NCAA to the woodshed, by threatening a lawsuit, and Penn St started a lawsuit, which caused the NCAA to cave, we probably get our hands slapped to avoid a lawsuit.

But a school can enable pedophilia. Makes sense.

Your arguing two different things. Your talking about the reason why PSU was hit with sanctions and what caused their problems. The poster I was responding to was asking about attempting to mitigate our potential exposure by proactive means. Two totally different things.

The NCAA wouldn't start the penalties until after this year's class. Also since JB doesn't go beyond 10 deep we could survive with 10 scholarships if the NCAA did ding us 3 scholarships.

Could survive as long as 2 players with remaining eligibility don't decide to leave early and 2 other rotation players don't suffer season ending injuries. What are the chances of THAT happening?

13 scholarship limit is completely anachronistic in the one-and-done era to begin with. Especially with more and more top kids committing early.

Your arguing two different things. Your talking about the reason why PSU was hit with sanctions and what caused their problems. The poster I was responding to was asking about attempting to mitigate our potential exposure by proactive means. Two totally different things.
Just venting

Just venting

I hear ya. The good news is the report will be out soon and at least we will know where we stand and what our options are. Its unfortunate for sure especially when you consider if the whole Bernie Fine thing never happened none of this would be an issue right now but it is what it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom