Fascinating Read on What Went Down | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Fascinating Read on What Went Down

Pitt was giving serious consideration to the B12? Really?

Yes, and that's exactly why the BE is/was doomed. Think about it, Pitt, a 30 year member of the BE was considering joining a league that is in an equal amount of internal chaos (if not more). And they were considering it because they'd make a TON more money in the B12 than in the BE.

My initial reaction to hearing this was that the leak came from the BE offices. I was even more convinced after hearing that Marinatto was "surprised" by the news @ the WVU game.

In the age of real-time information, it would have been damn-near impossible for someone in the BE offices to not have heard/read the same information that we were all reading Saturday a.m. I think the BE went into damage-control mode, leaked the info under the assumption that we would (along with Pitt) step back and take a breath, and the outcry would force us to throw more band-aids on the wound.

They didn't realize that sometimes a gash in the femoral artery is fatal. And in my mind, they never thought that was possible.

My initial reaction to hearing this was that the leak came from the BE offices. I was even more convinced after hearing that Marinatto was "surprised" by the news @ the WVU game.

In the age of real-time information, it would have been damn-near impossible for someone in the NE offices to not have heard/read the same information that we were all reading Saturday a.m. I think the BE went into damage-control mode, leaked the info under the assumption that we would (along with Pitt) step back and take a breath, and the outcry would force us to throw more band-aids on the wound.

They didn't realize that sometimes a gash in the femoral artery is fatal. And in my mind, they never thought that was possible.

Pretty amazing, you almost can picture someone placing a rotary phone in front of Marinetto in the pressbox telling him he had an important call to take.

This story was out Friday night. I have to almost hope for their sake that this story was spin (and done badly) because it makes them look so out of touch with reality.

Pretty amazing, you almost can picture someone placing a rotary phone in front of Marinetto in the pressbox telling him he had an important call to take.

This story was out Friday night. I have to almost hope for their sake that this story was spin (and done badly) because it makes them look so out of touch with reality.
It had to be spin. Video clip for your pleasure. Marinatto as the French official:

Great read TM. I am just proud of SU for being proactive on this. It will be interesting to see how everything else falls. Hopefully, ACC can keep Clem and FSU intact with the new upped buyout amount.

The funniest thing in that entire post was that the dude thinks SU fans are pretentious for calling him Dr. Gross, not understanding that we say it as a joke, because we all think Daryl is a bit of a blowhard as well. Ah the Internet, where subtle sarcasm goes to die.

Gross holds both a master’s degree and Ph.D. in educational psychology from USC.

As a Ph.D., he's earned the title of "Doctor".

What concerns me is this quote:

"The ACC's plan is not to stop at 14 teams but rather to go to 16 teams and they plan to do so quickly. I am told that they actually asked both Pitt and Syracuse who they would recommend for those extra spots if push came to shove? I found that piece of info absolutely fascinating. I don't know who SU's preferences were but Pitt's were believed to be West Virginia and Rutgers. My personal choices would be WVU and UConn but I guess I can live with Rutgers.

"Apparently the goal is to make one more run at ND and perhaps Texas - and Texas alone - for those spots to see if they can make a deal work. However that is considered a very long shot so then they are likely to go after two of Rutgers, Louisville, Connecticut and West Virginia. If the league loses two schools - which could still happen even after raising the exit fee to $20 - I'm told that all four schools would likely get in."

The ACC is concerned about losing two schools (presumably FSU and maybe VPI, GT, Clemson). If FSU is gone, is it worth being in the ACC? Still it is nice to know they valued Syracuse above others and that they requested our input to additional teams.

Who knows how much of this is true...I tend to think most of it is pretty close. I think FSU and Clemson are the only two that might be tempted to leave. The SEC would have to pony up and help with the exit fees IMHO. If we lose the southern flank...could USF and or UCF be in play?

My preference is UConn and Rutgers to lock up NYC. I don't consider TX, ND or PSU as realistic choices. If we lose either FSU and/or Clemson then WVU or Louisville should be next but USF might get the nod (if FSU goes). I'm pretty sure MD is safe to stay.

Why is the Big East Commissioner at an ACC game?

Did you catch who the ACC team was playing?

His other choices were a Big 10 game, a Pac 12 game, an SEC game, or attending a Big East home venue against the dregs of 1A/1AA.

I think South Carolina would block Clemson's entrance in the SEC, same with Florida-FSU, and us and Georgie. Georgia Tech was a founding member of the SEC, and left because their culture is not something we want to be a part of. These days, it would put too much pressure on Florida, Georgie, and South Carolina if their in-state rival was also a in-conference rival. I don't see any of those going SEC. Also, doing so wouldn't add any TV sets.

If any team is going to be poached to SEC, it would be someone like Maryland, or one of the NC schools (NC State maybe?). They don't already have an SEC instate rival, and would add TV markets

For my money, I think West Va is going to the SEC for their #14. I think they and the B1G don't immediately go to 16 like the Pac and ACC will.

For my money, I think West Va is going to the SEC for their #14. I think they and the B1G don't immediately go to 16 like the Pac and ACC will.

While the Gators may not be thrilled with adding FSU to the SEC, I think they would capitulate on the issue. I don't see the SEC wanting Clemson, because they have to feel they have enough coverage in SC. I think the SEC gets FSU as #14, and WVU as #15. After that?

While the Gators may not be thrilled with adding FSU to the SEC, I think they would capitulate on the issue. I don't see the SEC wanting Clemson, because they have to feel they have enough coverage in SC. I think the SEC gets FSU as #14, and WVU as #15. After that?

Add Missouri and the SEC could call it a day. I hope FSU stays in the ACC though...or else the ACC might be forced to add USF or UCF for the populous and recruit rich Central Florida area.

Missouri may end up in the SEC, but my guess is they really want the Big10.

Missouri may end up in the SEC, but my guess is they really want the Big10.

Mizzou is like us...the first offer from either and they are gone.

Add Missouri and the SEC could call it a day. I hope FSU stays in the ACC though...or else the ACC might be forced to add USF or UCF for the populous and recruit rich Central Florida area.
I don't think FSU wants to pay the $20mil to get out. I was thinking that the SEC might spread that cost around, but they did give $18.8mil per school last year. If we divide the $20mil it takes to get FSU by the 12 SEC schools (don't think they'd make A&M pay having not actually made it into the league), that's cutting their per school payout by 8.8% ($1.67mil per school). Why pay all that for FSU when you can get West Va or Mizzou for basically free?

Add to that argument that adding FSU doesn't add to the TV market, they have plenty of name-brand football programs, and Florida is likely to push back on that decision, and I don't think FSU is going anywhere.

Could be. I guess the Big East teams are most vulnerable, but why not WVU before Pitt? They seem to fit the profile better.
Academics and demographics.

More eyeballs in PA than WVU.

I suspect they were riding the fence. Hopefully leaning to the Pitt side (I would expect TGD to recognize the importance of football), but not wanting to offend our friends from Villanova. Giving 'Nova a chance to come up with a viable plan was the right thing to do. Once it was clear that their best plan was not adequate and the need to go to 10 was paramount then UCF or Houston would be the best candidates. If that's how it went down and USF's Knight-blocking tactics caused those to be derailed (with the C-USA block, the hoops-onlies and the commish still batting for 'Nova) then the writing was on the wall. I don't believe Pitt ever thought that 'Nova would be viable.

That really was an awesome read and I actually believe him. Normally I'm quite the skeptic but that all sounded pretty legit. It's crazy to think how quickly all this has gone down. I'm really curious to see if WVU gets an invite to the SEC or ACC, also.

It's nice to be able to sit back and relax and watch everything that unfolds

Hey Guys,

Glad to be heading to the ACC with you guys. One more thing to add:

In the June BE meetings...Pitt, WVU, and Rutgers told the league office that if they weren't going to be more proactive with expansion..they were going to leave. The Bball schools told them if they felt that way...they should leave.

Pitt called their bluff and well...so did you as well.

In the June BE meetings...Pitt, WVU, and Rutgers told the league office that if they weren't going to be more proactive with expansion..they were going to leave.

Anybody know where Rutgers was headed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom