Father’s Day: What is the most memorable sporting event you attended with your Dad? | Syracusefan.com

Father’s Day: What is the most memorable sporting event you attended with your Dad?

Yankees Old-Timers Day in 1968, Mantle's final season.

After seeing a procession of legendary baseball heroes in the flesh, we saw the Yankees lose to the Twins 3-2. But miraculously, a hobbled Mantle hit two moonshot homers to left, much to the delight of my 10-year-old eyes.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA196808100.shtml

Mine just happened 7 months ago. SU- Indiana. Thanks to an amazing member of cusefan.com we were front and center, court side seats. The whole experience was insane. From the time we walked into the same doors the players walked through, eating and hanging out in the VIP room, the first time we walked out onto the floor, was just crazy... I don't think my dad really knew where we were actually sitting, because when the ushers started to walk us to our seats, he had this look on his face that I cant even describe. He looked at me with a smile, and shook his head, about a million times. The game was amazing, the seats were amazing, the experience was once in a life time, and I wouldn't have wanted to be there with anyone else by my old man. I still find myself day dreaming about that game every once in a while.

moten.jpg

I think mine would have to be a tie...

Dave Righetti's no-hitter July 4, 1983 at Yankee Stadium (we had seats in the lower level behind home plate). That was the Yanks' first no-hitter since Larsen's perfecto in the '56 Series. I was only 12 and I was telling everyone in the 5th inning that Rags had no-hitter stuff (I knew about the superstition but didn't care and was telling everyone around us he was going to pitch a no hitter). The strikeout of Boggs to end it is etched in my memory bank.

Game 1 of the '98 Series against the Padres. Yanks came back to win, fueled by Tino's grand slam into the upper deck against Mark Langston.

Last edited:
Brooks Robinson's last game in Baltimore .Dad got tix last second. Brooks was to my generation what Ripken was to the generation after. By all accounts, Brooks is a true gentleman.
The reason why I transitioned to 3rd base in baseball.

Did not read the attended part.

I never got to attend a professional sports game outside of hockey with my dad. The most memorable game I attended was an SU vs MSU basketball game back in... maybe '02 or '03? I'm not entirely sure.

It's memorable because I was 6 or 7 and wearing a Paul Pierce Celtics jersey. Syracuse fans mistook me for an MSU fan. I was screamed at and had shi- thrown at me. It was honestly terrifying. Became a Cuse fan anyways.

I never went to a sporting event with my father so I don't know that experience. I'm so happy to hear board members share their experiences.

http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/inde...e_your_favorite_sports_memories_with_dad.html
I've told the story a couple times in here but probably the su/nova Conrad McRae game in Philly vs nova. My first su game and shortly after I got my acceptance letter. Beyond that, taking me to Cooperstown, memorial stadium, Camden Yards, etc. Exposure to things beyond Philly is probably what got me hooked on the broader world of sports.

Probably a meaningless game but one that had an influence on me. Many kids growing up in western NYS many decades ago were Cleveland Indian fans. I was also until my family took a trip to Florida when I was in fifth grade. My dad was a Detroit Tigers fan, and we went to an exhibition game in Lakeland, where he made the effort to find a way to introduce me to some players. I became a Tigers fan that day. Rest in peace, Dad.

Syracuse-West Virginia football on Parents' Weekend of my senior year. Just an awesome night and an awesome beatdown of the Mountaineers. It narrowly edges out the 2003 PGA Championship at Oak Hill when Shaun Micheel hit the miracle shot on 18 about ten yards from where we were standing. Been extremely blessed to see so many sporting events with both of my parents.

Did not read the attended part.

I never got to attend a professional sports game outside of hockey with my dad. The most memorable game I attended was an SU vs MSU basketball game back in... maybe '02 or '03? I'm not entirely sure.

It's memorable because I was 6 or 7 and wearing a Paul Pierce Celtics jersey. Syracuse fans mistook me for an MSU fan. I was screamed at and had shi- thrown at me. It was honestly terrifying. Became a Cuse fan anyways.
The game in East Lansing when Carmelo and crew won, despite some good outside shooting by MSU? I went to that game with one of my sons.

Nothing for me. But, I have taken my boys to a ton of sporting events, mostly SU by the way. Plus a lot of NHL. This intrigues me. I would really like be interested in their fav dad/son event. I'll have to ask them

I'm a huge baseball guy as most of you know. My father surprised me by pulling me out of second period class and telling me we were driving to the city for my first ever Major League game. Of course this was done with Cheriehoop's approval. Saw my favorite team - Yankees. Day game at old Yankee Stadium. 75 degree clear day. First level. Watched eventual Cy Young Steroid filled Clemens dominate the Kansas City Royals. And Mariano pick up the save. Awesome surprise from my parents.

I'm a huge baseball guy as most of you know. My father surprised me by pulling me out of second period class and telling me we were driving to the city for my first ever Major League game. Of course this was done with Cheriehoop's approval. Saw my favorite team - Yankees. Day game at old Yankee Stadium. 75 degree clear day. First level. Watched eventual Cy Young Steroid filled Clemens dominate the Kansas City Royals. And Mariano pick up the save. Awesome surprise from my parents.

First time I ever bought tickets from a resale ticketing firm and was so worried the guy wouldn't come through or that it was a scam. Worked like a charm.

As a father, I am going to give my most memorable with my daughter...October 2008, First and to now, only World Series win for the Tampa Bay Rays; pictures and tickets hanging under glass on the wall... had the absolutely highest seats in Tropicana Field, but we talk about every game we go to now...gave her the pictures and tickets under glass the following Christmas... she was so excited... she will take those tickets with her when she has her own place one day...

The game in East Lansing when Carmelo and crew won, despite some good outside shooting by MSU? I went to that game with one of my sons.
Ah no the one I went was in '03/'04 my bad

So many of them but I would have to say SU's national championship win in The Superdome in '03. So happy to be able to share it with my Dad (and my Mom). Never will forget it.

SUOrange44