Father’s Day: What is the most memorable sporting event you attended with your Dad? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Father’s Day: What is the most memorable sporting event you attended with your Dad?

Super Bowl 2001 - NYG vs Ravens in Tampa Bay. We were 10 rows back in the endzone where Ron Dixon ran back his 97 yd KO TD return. Place went nuts as it was 80% NYG fans at least. Baltimore then took the kickoff all the way back the very next play and the whole place deflated. Great experience none the less.

Last year, we were 5 rows back at the Duke/Cuse game at the Dome. That whole day/night was a blast.

I guess I'm kinda boring and lucky at the same time. They are all SU moments, can't choose.
WVU 87
McNabb to Brominski
Last game at Archbold
First game at Dome.

So glad I experienced those with my late father.

So many great games to choose from...the '87 WVU game and too many hoops games to mention here. But the one that I will always remember was the Bills vs Oilers in the 1993 AFC Wild Card. We went from complete misery and disappointment to absolute Fan-damonium in a matter of a quarter. I don't think I ever high-fived my Dad as many times in one day as I did at that game. Truly memorable.

I never went to a sporting event with my father so I don't know that experience. I'm so happy to hear board members share their experiences.

http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/inde...e_your_favorite_sports_memories_with_dad.html

12/11/82 when they took down Phi Slamma Jamma 92-87 in the dome. I can still see Santifer tossing the ball into the air at the buzzer. The place was electric, even from the nose bleeds. A close second would be treating my dad to the 2005 PGA at Baltusrol.

12/11/82 when they took down Phi Slamma Jamma 92-87 in the dome. I can still see Santifer tossing the ball into the air at the buzzer. The place was electric, even from the nose bleeds. A close second would be treating my dad to the 2005 PGA at Baltusrol.
That SU game was one of the last ones I was able to attend with my father. Great memories. :)

And for anyone who cares about golf, there's nothing like attending a major. I've been to several, but never got to one with my father.

My step-dad used to take time off from the office to come see me run on my HS XC & track teams. I always ran better when he was there. Then he'd go back to the office and stay late to make up the time. Doesn't seem like much, but when you're 16 & 17, it's nice to have someone in your life who talks to you about doing the right thing, and then turns around and does it.

He doesn't read or post here, but happy Father's Day anyway to all the dads out there. :)

Last edited:
Been to a few Yankees games with pops and family over the years. Maybe one or two Giants and Knicks games. But the most memorable would have to be Jai Alai outside of Miami. We bet on the geekiest looking guys we could find and made a killing. I swear it, they were related to these three.
1817_original.jpg

It was an underdog thing, and it was special. :)

My father had a brain aneurysm when I was very young and was mentally disabled the rest of his life. I went with him to see SU football vs Pitt when Pitt was #1 in the country, and I believe Dan Marino was their QB. I was about 14 and my mother dropped us off by Upstate Medical and we were supposed to meet her back there after the game.

In the second quarter, my father left our seats to go to the bathroom . . . and never came back. Horrified that I had lost my mentally-disabled father, I spent the entire second half walking through the Dome looking for my father (and it was a good game, we lost either 7-0 or 14-0). When the game ended and I couldn't find my father, I walked back down the hill to my mother's car, crying the whole way. My mother told me to go tell a police officer I lost my mentally-disabled father.

Just as I was about to do that, my father came strolling down the hill and got in the car. When my mother asked where he went, he said he went to the bathroom and then found a better seat so he just sat there. I have never seen her madder.

Super Bowl XXV - "Wide Right!!!"

My dad, his best friend, my brother and I all went together.

Will never forget the entire weekend of events as we were invited to all the NFL's big corporate galas at Disney World on Friday night, Saturday night and all day Sunday in Tampa.

And then the game ended up being a classic. What a great memory.

My father is the reason I became such a sports fan. He was a huge NY Giants baseball fan who got "player complimentary" tickets from Sal Yvars, one of his fishing buddies who was the Giants back-up catcher. Neither my mother nor my younger brother had much interest in attending games at the old Polo Grounds in upper Manhattan, so I was the one who always went with my Dad. He taught me how to keep score like a pro when I was about 7, and I still can't go to a baseball game without keeping score. My lifelong interest in sports began during those sunny afternoons at the old Polo Grounds with my Dad. He died way too young when I was in my 20's, and I still miss him every day.

My father was way ahead of his time in terms of his thinking. He was a cop who never graduated from high school, but he never treated me "differently" because I was a girl (such as taking me to all those baseball games). He believed I could do anything I wanted to do... and he always encouraged me to go out and do it. Sadly, he died way before he could share my professional success...all of which I have always attributed to him and his encouragement.

Last edited:
PGA at OAk Hill that Shaun Michele won. He was in remission but then spent the next 3 years in and out of hospitals before we lost him to complications from a stem cell transplant that did not take.

2nd is a meaningless bball game at the SUNY Ag&Tech he taught at for many years. One player was just so smooth and had that second gear that separated him from anyone else. Made me a fan of the game for life. I was probably 11.

There's not one in particular that sticks out, but numerous Rochester Red Wing and Amerks games where a good time was had by all.

November 11, 1978 SU vs Navy the last game at Archbold with my dad and brother OrlandoOrange. We took home a piece of the Orange 2x4 railing which has since disappeared.

Summer 1969, Fenway Park. Although I was born and raised in CNY, my father is from Worchester, Mass and is a die hard Red Sox fan. He passed this gene on to his seven kids. First time ever in an MLB park for me and two of my brothers. Beautiful evening in Boston, Tony C's comeback season and the Sox beat the A's and their crazy (at the time) green and yellow uniforms.

SU beating #1 Nebraska in the dome is a close second. Same crew, many years later.

A side note: I feel incredibly fortunate to still have my Dad around. He's nearly 84 now and still sharp and in decent shape. I have way too many close friends and family members who can no longer make that claim. My brothers and sisters and I still get him out to a game whenever possible, most recently the High Point game last season and Louisville at the dome (Pitino should have been T'd up.) the year before.

Orange Barrel reminded me of the Sox and Fenway. Dad and I used to drive to Riverside, jump on the MTA to Fenway. It never mattered where we sat, we both loved to be there and now my son does too. His best year was living long enough to see the Sox win a World Series. He had to reach 99 to do it. :)

Spontaneous drive up to Boston from LI for the Tourney game against Wisconsin. I still have no clue how we won that game.

1987 WVU For football. I remember the crowd going wild. I was only 9 but to this day I don't think I've ever seen the dome as crazy. (Duke b ball close)For hoops I would say The Su Georgetown game where Thompson got ejected. I remember Owens hitting those two fouls shots like it was yesterday.

Big east tournament 1985. Watching pearl Washington (the day I decided I want to go to
Syracuse).

My father was also a big NY Giants baseball fan. He brought me to my first games at the old Polo Grounds when the Giants were getting ready to leave NY. I remember one game we were sitting behind home plate and I noticed the fans sitting way out in the sunny bleachers in deep center field. I thought they were the coolest seats in the park and was bummed out that we had to sit in what were probably some of the best seats in the house! Unfortuntately I really disappointed him shortly thereafter by becoming a Yankee fan when the Giants left NY!

Dad also took me to my first professional football games in the old Stadium to watch the Giants. The most memorable game was against the Browns in '63 when Jimmy Brown put on a great performance - 123 rushing yards & 2 TDs and 86 receiving yards & another TD. Although I was disconsolate after the game (Giants lost 35-24) in hindsight I'm glad I saw the greatest football player have one of his better games at the peak of his professional career in person.

My Dad was the source of my sports fanaticism and growing up in Syracuse, the Orange were always #1. We went to numerous Cuse games in both Manley and Archbold from the time I was about 10 (1971). We saw the Yankees in old Yankee stadium and the Mets in Shea in '73-74. We went to every NBA game that came to the War Memorial and every Auto Show with a big leaguer there to sign autographs. We had the radio on in the house every Saturday to listen to Joel Mariness call the Cuse football games.

Perhaps the most significant game for me was taking a bus to the Meadowlands to see Syracuse-Penn State in 1979 the year we were building the Dome. For some reason, I wanted to do that and Dad made it happen. I believe that was the start of my "hobby" of seeing Cuse football on the road. Dad"s been gone almost 22 years so I haven't been able to go with him, but a few buddies and I go to a road game every year to root for the Orange. Dad's there too with a much better view.

Florange44

My Dad was the source of my sports fanaticism and growing up in Syracuse, the Orange were always #1. We went to numerous Cuse games in both Manley and Archbold from the time I was about 10 (1971). We saw the Yankees in old Yankee stadium and the Mets in Shea in '73-74. We went to every NBA game that came to the War Memorial and every Auto Show with a big leaguer there to sign autographs. We had the radio on in the house every Saturday to listen to Joel Mariness call the Cuse football games.

Perhaps the most significant game for me was taking a bus to the Meadowlands to see Syracuse-Penn State in 1979 the year we were building the Dome. For some reason, I wanted to do that and Dad made it happen. I believe that was the start of my "hobby" of seeing Cuse football on the road. Dad"s been gone almost 22 years so I haven't been able to go with him, but a few buddies and I go to a road game every year to root for the Orange. Dad's there too with a much better view.

Florange44

Similar experience for me.

I listed the '87 UNC NCAA game above, but I think that the '86 Penn State drubbing was equally as important in my [then] fledgling fandom.

Love the fact that my father cultivated a love for the 'Cuse in me--it's been a source of tremendous bonding and fun over the years.

Happy Father's Day, Dad!!!

I am shocked... and slightly embarrassed to say that i had no idea that Houston was in the dome.

Literally shocked. Possibly the most famous college team ever.

I am shocked... and slightly embarrassed to say that i had no idea that Houston was in the dome.

Literally shocked. Possibly the most famous college team ever.

Houston vs. Syracuse Official Scorer's Report
Date: 12/11/82 Game #: GAME-06 Arena: Carrier Dome, Syracuse, N.Y. Attend: 19430
Visitors: Houston Home: Syracuse Length of game: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Houston (5-1) TOT-FG FREE REBOUNDS ##
Player Name MIN MD-ATT MD-ATT TP OFF DEF TOT A PF TO BLK S
23 DREXLER, Clyde... f 40 12-23 4-4 28 8 4 12 4 4 3 0 4 43
YOUNG, Michael... f 33 8-21 2-3 18 4 4 8 1 4 5 0 3 35
OLAJAWAN. Hakeem... c 13 3-4 0-0 6 5 4 9 1 4 2 1 1 15
DICKENS, Eric.... g 8 1-3 0-0 2 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 41
MICHEAUX, Larry... g 40 4-9 1-4 9 1 1 2 0 3 4 0 2 11
GILES, Derek..... 18 1-1 0-2 2 0 0 0 3 0 1 0 1 25
ROSE, David...... 14 4-8 4-4 12 4 0 4 1 3 1 0 2 45
GETTYS, Reid..... 32 4-9 2-2 10 0 0 0 5 3 1 0 1 55
WILLIAMS, Bryan... 2 0-2 0-4 0 2 2 4 0 1 1 0 2
Totals... 200 37-80 13-23 87 24 15 39 16 23 19 1 17 TEAM... 4 4
TOTAL FG% 1st Half: 18-38 47.4% 2nd Half: 19-42 45.2% Game: 37-80 46.3% F Throw % 1st Half: 4-11 36.4% 2nd Half: 9-12 75.0% Game: 13-23 56.5% -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Syracuse (6-0) TOT-FG FREE REBOUNDS ##
Player Name MIN MD-ATT MD-ATT TP OFF DEF TOT A PF TO BLK S
11 RAUTINS, Leo..... f 37 5-13 5-6 15 3 6 9 10 2 9 0 1 30
BRUIN, Tony...... f 39 10-16 6-9 26 6 3 9 7 3 3 0 2 53
HAWKINS, Andre... c 11 1-1 2-2 4 0 2 2 0 4 0 0 0 33
WALDRON, Gene.... g 26 1-2 4-4 6 0 3 3 4 1 6 0 1 40
SANTIFER, Erich... g 36 10-12 2-5 22 0 3 3 5 1 3 0 3 12
ADDISON, Rafael... 17 3-6 0-0 6 1 1 2 1 1 0 0 0 23
SPERA, Sonny..... 2 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 45
ALEXIS, Wendell... 4 0-0 0-0 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 55
KERINS, Sean..... 28 6-8 1-2 13 2 5 7 1 4 4 0 0
Totals... 200 36-58 20-28 92 12 24 36 29 16 25 0 7 TEAM... 3 1 4
TOTAL FG% 1st Half: 16-31 51.6% 2nd Half: 20-27 74.1% Game: 36-58 62.1% F Throw % 1st Half: 10-13 76.9% 2nd Half: 10-15 66.7% Game: 20-28 71.4% ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Score by Periods 1st 2nd Total Houston....... 40 47 - 87 Syracuse...... 42 50 - 92
Officials: Reuhl Roach, Roger Paramore, Sam, Lickliter Technical fouls: Houston-None. Syracuse-None