Favorite Songs Of The 1970's | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Favorite Songs Of The 1970's

Who gives a bleep if this has already been cited (has it)? Just can't get enough it:

[song: That's The Way of the World]

Betcha Hall & Oates wish they'd written this one.

Big hit for The Trashmen in 1963, but this is the definitive version.

[song: Surfin' Bird]
I still think The Cramps have the definitive version, but I am biased

how will this work, Tee? I already tagged Surfin' Bird from the Cramps; will this go on the list twice or should we maybe re-tag them as "Surfin' Bird - Cramps" and "Surfin' Bird - Ramones"?

I'm tempted to say that the five (at least) best country albums of all time came out of the 70s, but I'll hedge my bet and just say the five best in my personal collection (which is extensive). Of course, there are many more than just five great albums from that decade, but these five are standouts among the standouts.
  • Honky Tonk Heroes, Waylon Jennings
  • Honky Tonk Masquerade, Joe Ely
  • Viva Terlingua, Jerry Jeff Walker
  • Will the Circle Be Unbroken, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
  • Lubbock (On Everything), Terry Allen
I already posted choice cuts from "Honky Tonk Heroes" and "Honky Tonk Masquerade." Here are some cuts from "Viva Terlingua." This first one was something of a theme song for me during my dissolute years:

just gettin' by on gettin' by is my stock in trade
livin' it day to day
pickin' up the pieces wherever they fall
just lettin' it roll
lettin' the high times carry the low
just livin' my life
easy come, easy go

[song: Gettin' By]

the long time theme song for Austin City Limits is the closing cut on Viva Terlingua
[song: London Homesick Blues]

and the anthemic high point of the album
[song: Up Against the Wall, Redneck Mother]

number four on my personal list of greatest country albums ever is Will The Circle Be Unbroken by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. The Dirt Band (as they would later be officially known) were the most authentically country of all the country rock bands of the period (the Byrds, the Burritos, etc.) and in this album, they got a bunch of legit old-timey Nashville stars to sit in with them - Roy Acuff, Merle Travis, Mother Maybelle Carter, etc. The double-length album features 37 cuts, all of which are worthy of being sampled in this thread, but I'll just post a few.
[song: The Grand Ole Opry Song]

Finally, from Terry Allen, the little known country masterpiece "Lubbock (On Everything)"

If you don't own any country music and want to add one album to your collection, make it this one.

Once again, I could post every cut, but I'll limit myself to four.
[song: The Great Joe Bob (a regional tragedy)]

how will this work, Tee? I already tagged Surfin' Bird from the Cramps; will this go on the list twice or should we maybe re-tag them as "Surfin' Bird - Cramps" and "Surfin' Bird - Ramones"?
Perfect. I might have done similar with another band one time. Might not have ever had the original singer's rendition, but I did it in case there was conflict.

I was wondering about this also. I tagged two versions of "Woodstock" and believe only one showed up. I'll make some distinction in the title from now on.

I was wondering about this also. I tagged two versions of "Woodstock" and believe only one showed up. I'll make some distinction in the title from now on.
I just re-tagged mine, so they should both show up on the next master list

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom