Favorite vacation destination you've been to | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Favorite vacation destination you've been to

I’m in Croatia w/ my wife right now, and it’s unreal. Crazy beautiful scenery and wonderful people. We spent five nights in Bol on Brac and just got to Hvar today. Highly recommend.
Have a wedding in Hvar in May. The Airbnb we booked with another couple looks absolutely bonkers. Very much looking forward to it.

On the not awesome side of things, supposed to be leaving at 6am tomorrow to head down to Cabo and looks like Hilary will just be passing by on the west so that landing and subsequent 12 hours isn't going to be great.

So jealous reading about all these trips and experiences. I’ll never get to any of them. Wife won’t fly

I’m in Croatia w/ my wife right now, and it’s unreal. Crazy beautiful scenery and wonderful people. We spent five nights in Bol on Brac and just got to Hvar today. Highly recommend.

Concur. Croatia is amazing. Beyond amazing. The people are extraordinarily nice.

So jealous reading about all these trips and experiences. I’ll never get to any of them. Wife won’t fly
{edit} 8/19/2023 I wanted to add this: Listing trips/vacations like these can be very subjective. But I believe my list is true as are all those mentioned in this thread.

In my opinion, all of the destinations I visited were either very attractive or quite beautiful, so much so that when we first arrived in Glen Affric in Scotland and stood in the evening looking at the loch and the mountains in silhouette behind it, we could not believe how magnificent it was and I standing there with my mouth open gazing at the splendor of it all.

At some locations the wonder of the place and the kindness and general happiness of the local people upon departing made me think “why am I going back into the haze off JFK?,” if you stay at a certain place and get to know people especially. I have a place picked out to either split between or make the move permanent.

Of course these trips, some included business and pleasure, don’t come at bargain prices - particularly some of them. My business paid for some of the trips and I was fortunate enough to have had a step-father who owned his own engineering business in CT doing a great deal of work for Pratt and Whitney Aircraft which was just taking off – pun intended. Unfortunately the alcohol he consumed caught up with him and he passed.

The business was purchased from my mother for a great deal of money. I am very fortunate in this life. After she died I inherited it all including royalties which kept coming in so I was able to go on these trips for weeks at a time. I had also begun my own Industrial Design business out of SU and it also became successful. I eventually had 25 employees doing design work and model making.

Supervising senior designers on all other facets of design my individual concentration was corporate and brand identity. If you have ever heard of York Peppermint Patties, yours truly created the logo and silver foil look packaging. Another work is Browning Fire Arms, the stag with the doe in the negative interior space. Thus the trip to Belgium as Browning is owned by the Herstal Group and is based in Liege, Belgium. It was not initially a great meeting with the president as the art director wanted to do the design work or take partial credit after I designed it back in CT. Thus there were several trips to Belgium to calm irritated nerves.

I believe wherever we travel it is best to plan a trip due to your particular interests and then you can’t help but enjoy every minute of your journeys and relax which is what vacations are for. I digress.

I've combined my trips to both wonderful cities and places where the water doesn't get any more crystalline than the next place I visited.

Of all the places I have been, I can say that Bimini, where Hemingway wrote part of Islands in the Stream in Browns Hotel, has the most beautiful water anywhere. The water goes from crystal clear to, green to turquoise to shimmering bright blue to the dark purple blue of the Gulf Stream. It is also the big game fishing capital of the world. You can also dress in a white shirt and shorts with a white SU hat on and your guide and you can go out on the flats for Bonefish or Tarpon and if you happen to hook one you're in for one of the best fishing experiences of your life. I've landed 5 Bonefish in my trips there-they'll take 100 yards of line off your reel on their first run.

It was always nice to sit back on the North Island with my guide and throw down a few ice cold St. Pauli Girls and talk about the day. Boogie boarded, body surfed, sunned, fished and relaxed at every place I listed save for England and Scotland. In Scotland fished for salmon in the river Spey. Good thing I had many women willing to travel, sun and fish, eat great food and have fun. Below The water looking out at the Gulf Stream on a Bimini beach. :)

England
Cornwall
St Ives
Redruth

Scotland
Glen Affric

France
Paris
Brussels
Cannes
Nice
St Tropez