Favorite vacation destination you've been to | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Favorite vacation destination you've been to

I’ve never flown over an ocean and I don’t really care about the beach, or being out in the sun so my answers will be a bit different. I’d rather drink a beer on a rooftop bar in a city than drink anything on a beach, and I like moving around and seeing lots of different things and stopping at lots of local places.

I think my favorites are:

Toronto
Lake Placid
California - LA, SF, and driving up the coast was amazing.

I don’t, which kills me because it was circulated so widely. The guys who work in the warehouse blew it up to life size and hung it on the wall.
I found it for you.

Jan Sandals.jpg

Yeah, you all have talked me out of that.
I was serious, though. If you want to sit on a beach and you don’t care about anything else, its a good thing to do. Don’t have to worry about food, you can get a drink whenever you want. Never my style but I had to go once for a friend’s wedding in Cancun and…. I get it. My wife and I took our mothers a few years later to Cozumel for their birthdays and it was kinda perfect, since they were only really interested in a nice warm destination.

Okay, shifted again. Looking at puerto Rico now. What you got?

I think if you know what you are looking for you can find it there. It's relatively inexpensive compared to a lot of places. Most of the island revolves around San Juan but there are a bunch of other fairly large cities and beach areas. I spent a week in Rincon, a small beach town on the west coast and we flew into Mayaquez, because we wanted to avoid San Juan. It was ok, not too much going on.

Check out Cozumel. I think it's underrated. Lots to do there and it's a fairly small island. A lot different than Cancun. Cozumel was one of the few places we have been where we didn't need to rent a car.

I think if you know what you are looking for you can find it there. It's relatively inexpensive compared to a lot of places. Most of the island revolves around San Juan but there are a bunch of other fairly large cities and beach areas. I spent a week in Rincon, a small beach town on the west coast and we flew into Mayaquez, because we wanted to avoid San Juan. It was ok, not too much going on.

Check out Cozumel. I think it's underrated. Lots to do there and it's a fairly small island. A lot different than Cancun. Cozumel was one of the few places we have been where we didn't need to rent a car.
This is kind of funny to see. I got back yesterday from 5 nights in Cozumel. Took my dad for his 1st time in Mexico. I always rent a scooter for $20/day and just cruise around the island. There really isn't much better than taking the trip around the island to the couple beach bars on the empty side of the island. Have done it a handful of times now and it's as good of a vacation day as you can have. Couple real great drinks, incredible views and a little bit of adventure cruising on the scooter.

Last edited:
Rented a house with a handful of friends on the water in Carolina back after college. We had a solid time as it was impossible not to with 6 or 7 early 20s dudes just hanging out but there wasn't anything that I loved about it or the day or 2 we spent in San Juan. I've never had any interest in going back or recommending it to anyone.

My recommendation would be to fly out to Cabo, rent a car from Cactus Rental Car, drive through Todos Santos and check out Hotel California on the way to La Paz. Rent this house for 3 or 4 nights. Do one of the swimming with whale shark tour things and take a day trip or 2 to Balandra Bay. Then finish the trip off with a night or 2 in Cabo. Did this itinerary exact itinerary once and my wife still can't get over how much she loved it.

This is kind of funny to see. I got back yesterday from 5 nights in Cozumel. Took my dad for his 1st time in Mexico. I always rent a scooter for $20/day and just cruise around the island. There really isn't much better than taking the trip around the island to the couple beach bars on the empty side of the island. Have done it a handful of times now and it's as good of a vacation day as you can have. Couple real great drinks, incredible views and a little bit of adventure cruising on the scooter.
This is some random dude I took a picture of in Cozumel. Is it you?

Attachments

• cz.jpg
    cz.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 100
Rented a house with a handful of friends on the water in Carolina back after college. We had a solid time as it was impossible not to with 6 or 7 early 20s dudes just hanging out but there wasn't anything that I loved about it or the day or 2 we spent in San Juan. I've never had any interest in going back or recommending it to anyone.

My recommendation would be to fly out to Cabo, rent a car from Cactus Rental Car, drive through Todos Santos and check out Hotel California on the way to La Paz. Rent this house for 3 or 4 nights. Do one of the swimming with whale shark tour things and take a day trip or 2 to Balandra Bay. Then finish the trip off with a night or 2 in Cabo. Did this itinerary exact itinerary once and my wife still can't get over how much she loved it.
We stayed in Carolina the last night before our 5:30 am flight the next day. Not my speed at all.

The bulk of the trip we stayed in Fajardo in the Las Casitas Villas next to the El Conquistador resort. Really nice place, and really quiet. Did a couple excursions in the area, including a bioluminescent bay kayak tour and a snorkeling booze cruise. Both were fun. Wish we could have done more like that but they had a low pressure go through and the winds were howling and the seas were rough. Plus I just couldn’t pull the trigger on a $2k fishing trip for the 3 of us. We tried hiking the El Yunque rainforest, but because of Covid, they were still restricting numbers and we got skunked.

But the food was good, beers were super cold, and the drinks were strong. If anyone hits that area, I recommend El Bohio in Las Croabas and La Estacion right outside the gates for El Con. Great food at both.

Seven Seas Beach was nice, but Playa Escondida was outstanding. The beach at Luquillo was meh, but the kioskos nearby were a trashy kind of fun.

Not likely we’ll go back to PR, but we never go the same place twice.

We stayed in Carolina the last night before our 5:30 am flight the next day. Not my speed at all.

The bulk of the trip we stayed in Fajardo in the Las Casitas Villas next to the El Conquistador resort. Really nice place, and really quiet. Did a couple excursions in the area, including a bioluminescent bay kayak tour and a snorkeling booze cruise. Both were fun. Wish we could have done more like that but they had a low pressure go through and the winds were howling and the seas were rough. Plus I just couldn’t pull the trigger on a $2k fishing trip for the 3 of us. We tried hiking the El Yunque rainforest, but because of Covid, they were still restricting numbers and we got skunked.

But the food was good, beers were super cold, and the drinks were strong. If anyone hits that area, I recommend El Bohio in Las Croabas and La Estacion right outside the gates for El Con. Great food at both.

Seven Seas Beach was nice, but Playa Escondida was outstanding. The beach at Luquillo was meh, but the kioskos nearby were a trashy kind of fun.

We went to a wedding at the El Conquistador a few years ago, but booked too late and couldn't stay on-site. I think we stayed at the place you did? Fajardo was OK, it's pretty on that part of the island. Haven't really been itching to return, though.

I forgot about El Yunque, that was probably the highlight of our trip other than eating chicken wings at a cockfighting arena watching fights :oops:

My post to you about going to La Paz actually ended up making it get stuck in my head...and heading there next Saturday.

We (wife, friends) are doing 2+ weeks this summer. Start in Rome. Drive and stop up through Milan. From there, fly to Paris, with day trips (Versailles, Giverny for Monet’s house and gardens, maybe Brussels, plus Paris sites.) Fly home from Paris.

We (wife, friends) are doing 2+ weeks this summer. Start in Rome. Drive and stop up through Milan. From there, fly to Paris, with day trips (Versailles, Giverny for Monet’s house and gardens, maybe Brussels, plus Paris sites.) Fly home from Paris.

If possible stop in Florence but also three legendary food origin cities:
Bologna (Bolognese Sauce)
Modena (Balsamic Vinegar)
Parma (Parmesan Cheese and Prosciutto).

If possible stop in Florence but also three legendary food origin cities:
Bologna (Bolognese Sauce)
Modena (Balsamic Vinegar)
Parma (Parmesan Cheese and Prosciutto).
Bologna is on the itinerary

All inclusives are the Olive Garden of vacations.
In February, I went to Hotel Xcaret Mexico. No Olive Garden experience there. Best vacation I ever had. Everything about it was exceptional. It included excursions to all X-parks which were fantastic as well as archeological side trips to e.g. Chichen Itza (which we took).

Food was awesome with lots of choices. The resort itself was crazy nice. 0 complaints.

We'll be going back.

Has anyone ever been to Scotland? Pictures and video of the country are always beautiful and it seems like a laidback place.

Just got a RT from Baltimore to Liberia, Costa Rica late May on Southwest for 16k pts. Have never been and was mid-tier on list of countries I'm interested in but couldn't turn that down. Don't really know much but looking like we're going to spend the week in Tamarindo as of now though open to suggestions of others that have been. Just know that we want to stay more up towards Liberia than San Jose as I don't really want to bother with a car and want to chill out for the most part.