Feel bad for Battle | Syracusefan.com

Feel bad for Battle

it's not over yet. Just because it isn't easy doesn't mean it can't happen. Battle can control this too.

If he wants to be the alpha dog, he can alpha us to the tournament this year. I am hoping it happens. I don't see why we can't rip off 3 straight wins in the ACCT. Why not us?

JB gets a lot of "marginal" guys in NBA. Does Cal have the same success with top 100 type recruits?

Right. I give Boeheim and the program very little credit for Carmelo. (A ton of credit for getting the most out of him, obviously) He was a pro regardless of where he went to college. Likewise, Cal gets no credit from me for most of those guys. He doesn’t produce pros, he recruits them.

it's not over yet. Just because it isn't easy doesn't mean it can't happen. Battle can control this too.

If he wants to be the alpha dog, he can alpha us to the tournament this year. I am hoping it happens. I don't see why we can't rip off 3 straight wins in the ACCT. Why not us?

I don’t see it. I didn’t see it in 2006 either though, so you never truly know in sports. I think this would be equally as improbable though.

JB gets a lot of "marginal" guys in NBA. Does Cal have the same success with top 100 type recruits?

This has been discussed before, I think he does better than people realize.

Devin Booker was 23rd in the RSCI rankings as a hs senior. 12 months later he was a lotto pick. Cauley Stein was 38th as a senior, he was the 6th pick a few years later.

Last edited:
Right. I give Boeheim and the program very little credit for Carmelo. (A ton of credit for getting the most out of him, obviously) He was a pro regardless of where he went to college. Likewise, Cal gets no credit from me for most of those guys. He doesn’t produce pros, he recruits them.

Again, I think this is a little (not totally, but a little) overblown

Karl Towns was #4 in RSCI as a freshmen, by the end of the year he was the consensus #1 pick. He was one spot behind Cliff Alexander and one ahead Myles Turner. Don't think the Wolves would trade Towns for either guy right now. For every Towns there's a Harrison brother (or 2). I get it

Karl Towns was #4 in RSCI as a freshmen, by the end of the year he was the consensus #1 pick. He was one spot behind Cliff Alexander and one ahead Myles Turner. Don't think the Wolves would trade Towns for either guy right now. For every Towns there's a Harrison brother (or 2). I get it

The difference in #1 and 4 can be pretty arbitrary in something like recruiting rankings.
We’re talking about likely studs either way.

The difference in #1 and 4 can be pretty arbitrary in something like recruiting rankings.
We’re talking about likely studs either way.

I agree and I disagree.

Agree the difference between 1 and 4 is nothing in the grand scheme, but Okafor, Mudiay, Stanley Johnson, Cliff Alexander, that was the rest of the top 5. No studs there. None of those guys are even NBA starters. (The last few games for Mudiay aside)

Imagine how bad his dad feels after forcing the move from Michigan.

I agree and I disagree.

Agree the difference between 1 and 4 is nothing in the grand scheme, but Okafor, Mudiay, Stanley Johnson, Cliff Alexander, that was the rest of the top 5. No studs there. None of those guys are even NBA starters. (The last few games for Mudiay aside)

Right, but I don’t think the 1 year spent in college for most of them was the difference between superstar and role player.

Imagine how bad his dad feels after forcing the move from Michigan.

Kid is starting and averaging 20 a game for Cuse in front of 20,000 on ESPN all the time, has hit numerous game winners and big shots - nothing to feel bad about at all IMO. He’s only a sophomore. 2 more chances to play on a really good team, if that’s the biggest priority.

Right, but I don’t think the 1 year spent in college for most of them was the difference between superstar and role player.

In a lot of cases, likely so, but I don't think you can just totally dismiss it.

Another guy, Eric Bledsoe, as a hs senior, his RSCI ranking was 52, but one service didn't rank him, maybe due to his academic issues. He was around #30 or #35. 18th pick in the 2010 draft.

I was looking at the 2016 RSCI rankings, man, I totally forgot Harry Giles even exists.

"On October 6, 2017, it was announced Giles would be out of action and will make his NBA debut in January of 2018. On January 18, 2018, it was announced that Giles would "not be introduced to NBA gameplay during the 2017-18 season but focus on more vigorous practice activity and individual workouts tailored to continue developing overall strength and aid ACL injury prevention"

Oh.

He has yet to take over a game against ant team with a pulse and I don’t see him starting now

it's not over yet. I don't see why we can't rip off 3 straight wins in the ACCT. Why not us?
My guess is with such a depleted roster the guys would be pretty tired after winning the first two ACC Tourney games.
But there's no reason the we can't win the Battle of Orange against Clemson (orange impostors) and then win two tourney games.
That might be enough to get in this season.

Even Kemba had a MUCH better supporting cast. Much better level of play in college basketball back then, too. Oriakhi was more than serviceable inside. Roscoe Smith started to really play well in the postseason. Lamb was good. That team would destroy this team.

Footnote. Towns and Battle both went to St Joes Metuchen H S

My guess is with such a depleted roster the guys would be pretty tired after winning the first two ACC Tourney games.
But there's no reason the we can't win the Battle of Orange against Clemson (orange impostors) and then win two tourney games.
That might be enough to get in this season.

Realistically, that’s probably the most we can hope for. The problem with not receiving a single bye is that if we make it to day 3, there will be guys like Battle who will have played almost 80 minutes the previous two days. Going up against an opponent who hasn’t played a game in five days, has more depth and fresh legs is going to be awfully difficult to overcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom