One thing that worries me is what are the goals now? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

One thing that worries me is what are the goals now?

The downside is that he throws a lot of dangerous balls which caught up to him last night. He had a few near interceptions in the first two games as well. Part of the deal i guess.
There was only one really ill advised throw to Meeks that I can remember that got picked. There were some other throws that were off but only 1 really bad decision.

Nobody controls their own destiny. That’s what makes it a destiny.
20-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-back-to-the-future-4-1556676017-gmC2-column-width-inline.jpg

"i am your density !
and on the subject of time travel i don't want to hear JET LAG used as an excuse when we travel west. stanford evidently can handle it . so should we.

View attachment 245133
"i am your density !
and on the subject of time travel i don't want to hear JET LAG used as an excuse when we travel west. stanford evidently can handle it . so should we.
jet lag is much more a west to east phenomenon so there really isn’t much of an excuse going west

Can’t lose at home to Stanford. Making the playoffs was a stretch goal for sure….regroup….ACC championship would still be damn sweet

Can’t lose at home to Stanford. Making the playoffs was a stretch goal for sure….regroup….ACC championship would still be damn sweet

If you win the ACC championship it’s an auto bye to the playoffs

Think everyone needs to take a breath here.

We have a first year HC, expecting us to make the playoffs was a lot.

Stanford definitely isn’t as bad as what everyone thought.

They have a solid QB and a VERY good WR.

We played an absolutely awful game and McCord had a terrible game, yet he had us in position to win the game.

McCord had some off throws. The Vallari pick hurt cause who knows what the TE was doing. Poor throw to Meeks and a few others.

He also had too many times where he had to throw under pressure and early and the WRs didnt make plays.

The long play to Hatcher called back hurt.

In what f-ing world did anyone ever think this team was even close to a playoff team? The goal is 6-8 wins.
Expecting it and having fun thinking about the possibility of it are two different things

2-different-things-piss.gif

Syracuse is incapable of letting anyone have stupid dreams for a couple weeks because our coaches are never smart enough to get to October without blowing it.

His tenure is going to get extremely more difficult than Stanford at home with a loud crowd after they traveled 2500 miles. I'm concerned
People are making way too much of the travel. That was never going to hamper Stanford, especially this early in the year (if anything, their bodies percieved this as an afternon game). It's not that different than flying from Florida. Teams used to take longer bus trips, smaller schools still do.

We played crappy. Some of what we saw are the same problems we had against Ohio. There are reasons to be concerned, but it's not a train wreck. Fan expectations were too high and need to be adjusted.

My concern is the same. Goals change but when you go get a guy like McCord plus the other portal additions you are spending a lot of NIL capital to simply just make a bowl game at best when you lose tonight’s game. Anything more than that means that there is zero margin for error the rest of the season which is never realistic. A coveted non playoff bowl game sounds good too but that also gets pretty much squashed as well with this outcome.

If you go big you have to put something on the board to show for it and here we are facing the fact of getting a much weaker ROI.
Did we go big? I think it was big for us, but compared to what some other schools have done/can do, was it big compared to them? If we look at the guys we brought it, we didn't land game changers where we have our biggest weaknesses, interior defense and oline. We brought in some guys, but they weren't elite. So far our big names at other spots like McCord and Diggs have done pretty well. We need others to step up. Or maybe we need the coaches to do a better job coaching them up.

We played an absolutely awful game and McCord had a terrible game, yet he had us in position to win the game.
MCCord had a ‘terrible’ game because Villari dressed.

The goals are still the same:
  • Recruit and produce outstanding young men
  • Win some football games.
  • Represent our community well.
Now, Fran must understand that the core fanbase knows the program has a tendency to no-show in high profile games.

Sneaking up on Clemson with zero expectations is one thing.

Performing under the national spotlight when expectations are high is another goal.

Last edited:

And their top ten rush defense looks like it may hold throughout conference play.

The goals are still the same:
  • Recruit and produce outstanding young men
  • Win some football games.
  • Represent our community well.
Ummmm...#1 and #3 are nice if they happen, but they are way down the list. This isn't DIII.

When coaches are making millions of dollars, the players are making a lot of NIL$ while their peers are saddled with student loans, the University has invested a lot in infrastructure, fans and boosters are being asked to open their wallets, and you are playing in a major conference, it's all about #2.

And it's all about winning more than "some" football games. This isn't an extracurricular activity; it's big business and now more-so than ever.

Ummmm...#1 and #3 are nice if they happen, but they are way down the list. This isn't DIII.

When coaches are making millions of dollars, the players are making a lot of NIL$ while their peers are saddled with student loans, the University has invested a lot in infrastructure, fans and boosters are being asked to open their wallets, and you are playing in a major conference, it's all about #2.

And it's all about winning more than "some" football games. This isn't an extracurricular activity; it's big business and now more-so than ever.

Agreed and if 1-3 were the goals, we should not have fired Dino

It's all linked. Character and community help teams win. That's how you get to #2 consistently.

jet lag is much more a west to east phenomenon so there really isn’t much of an excuse going west
True. I went to SD recently and didn’t feel a thing. Coming back was harder but still not bad….and I’m 53. Stanford came in a day early to adjust so I’m sure they were just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom