Feinstein on One and Dones vs. Experience | Syracusefan.com

Feinstein on One and Dones vs. Experience

I’ll read the article later. It has lead to consistent seasons and high level ball from the Duke/Arizona/UK type teams but, yes, it seems like the teams with more experience generally cut down the nets or advance the furthest in the Tourney setting. Villanova, UNC, Wisconsin, Michigan St, Louisville are all teams who consistently make deep runs the past 5 years or so. Personally, I would take Virginia and Arizona’s consistent excellent play on the court if it means missing out on a F4.

Last edited:
And the rest of that team didn't contribute?

Hakim Warwick agrees.

Come on - the 2003 team was one of our most inexperienced.

Mel0 -- Fr
Warrick - So
GMac - Fr
Duany - Sr
Edelin - Fr
Pace - So
Forth - So
McNeil - Jr
Gorman - Fr

One Sr, One Jr, 3 So, 4 Fr.

Let's not forget that the year before we were in the NIT. That's 7 scholarship players that didn't even play in an NCAA game. Sometimes talent is more important than experience.

Personally, I would take Virginia and Arizona’s consistent excellent play on the court if it means missing out on a F4.

No way. Not me. Isn't the whole point to win championships?

Come on - the 2003 team was one of our most inexperienced.

Mel0 -- Fr
Warrick - So
GMac - Fr
Duany - Sr
Edelin - Fr
Pace - So
Forth - So
McNeil - Jr
Gorman - Fr

One Sr, One Jr, 3 So, 4 Fr.

Let's not forget that the year before we were in the NIT. That's 7 scholarship players that didn't even play in an NCAA game. Sometimes talent is more important than experience.

But only one of those guys was a "One and Done".

OK.

But then you have to live with the violent year-to-year swings in team performance.

You don't get to have it both ways at Syracuse.

Are you OK with that? Or do you want BOTH the "ups" associated with "One and Dones" and the consistent performance associated with lots of four year players?

I mean sure. I just want to see consistent good play on the court. But, 1 F4 as a 10 seed amongst a bunch of NITs and middle of the pack ACC play at best isn’t a recipe for making any kind of deep runs in the Tourney, let alone getting into the Tourney.

You guys make good points but what were really talking about is would you rather be UConn with 4 championships and up and down seasons or would you rather be Arizona with victories in the high 20's every year but go 'pffft' in the Tourney?

I can't lie - I'd rather have the trophies.

You guys make good points but what were really talking about is would you rather be UConn with 4 championships and up and down seasons or would you rather be Arizona with victories in the high 20's every year but go 'pffft' in the Tourney?

I can't lie - I'd rather have the trophies.

Except they don’t really go “pffft”, IMO. Last year they had a disappointing exit to Xavier who was red hot. Let’s not forget Xavier slaughtered our beloved ACC brethren Florida St. the round before by like 30. All those one possession E8 losses to the Kaminsky/Dekker Wisconsin teams or the other E8 loss to Kemba and UConn isn’t really underacheiving, IMO. I get your point, though.