Feldman: Shafer emerges as strong candidate | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Feldman: Shafer emerges as strong candidate

I'll go on record saying I would support this move. I agree with others that we need a gambling kind of defense, and Scott brings that in spades. If Hackett stays and the offense continues to perform well after 3 years, I would also be fine with naming NH head coach in waiting. Give recruits a sense of continuity and take as much doubt out of the situation as possible.

if our offense continues to perform well for 1-2 more years, hackett will be plucked away anyway. head coach in waiting wouldn't mean anything.

Fine with me. People act like it's the end of the world if we don't do an exhaustive search right now.

I prefer a more humble approach. We don't have time, we don't have our together at all, we have assistants who have done just fine. Trade doubts about future recruiting for increased security for this year's recruiting. Keep him on a short leash and if we need to do an exhaustive search in a couple years, well, then we'll be more prepared.

If some obvious candidate approaches you, then great

The program is much better than it was four years ago, but it is far from completely stable and is very sensitive to a quick collapse with a bad hire. We can't afford an experiment for the sake of a few recruits.

What about Frank Maloney is he still working for the Cubs?

For the love of God, just hire someone who has NE recruiting ties and who won't read his players bedtime stories and I think we'll be fine!!!

If hiring Schafer means keeping Hackett, I'm all in. I think it is critically important to keep Hackett mainly from a recruiting standpoint. He was an important figure with the high school offensive recruits (Allen, Wilson, Edwards and Smith).

Hard to argue against this, id prefer Golden, the Bama guy PA mentioned or even the Old Dominion coach but I certainly would be OK with Schafer and Hackett.

Shafer -HC
Hackett - OC
Daoust - DC
Wheatley -RB/Offensive assistant
Bring in a good special teams coach

I can get on board with that and but I'd lean towards Morrison as DC over Daoust. I think Morrison is Schaf's #2 and runs that defense from the sideline standing next to Marrone.

I'd keep Anselmo on until he retires and then I might find a job for one of the area's top HS coaches as well. Teal down at Bosco or Beville down at MD's Bishop McNamarra.

Cristobal is out of work right now to, I wonder if they could simply poach him as an assitant coach for a year or two. His recruiting might be a nice shot in the arm for a year or two.

Because he's a phenomenal recruiter with strong northeastern ties.

I know he is. I meant, why do people think he is a realistic possibility? Why do people think Miami is going to let a fellow ACC school talk to him?

The program is much better than it was four years ago, but it is far from completely stable and is very sensitive to a quick collapse with a bad hire. We can't afford an experiment for the sake of a few recruits.
i could just as easily say we can't afford an experiment with some of the random names getting tossed about. mario crystalball, some bowling coach, etc. i'm not normally a stability first guy, i just think the odds of Gross making a good decision in such a hurry aren't great.

i will be happy with shafer only if we keep hackett if not - do search

Couple questions:

- What's his relationship with New York coaches? Does he hold the same cache as Marrone did?
- Can you he salvage the Gus issue?
- Will this ease Allen's worries?

I know he is. I meant, why do people think he is a realistic possibility? Why do people think Miami is going to let a fellow ACC school talk to him?

Ah--that's not what I interpreted from the post I responded to [where you asked why are people so high on Golden].

Whether or not it is realistic is an entirely different matter--no argument there. Doesn't hurt for TGD to inquire, though--there is some turmoil down in Coral Gables.

if our offense continues to perform well for 1-2 more years, hackett will be plucked away anyway. head coach in waiting wouldn't mean anything.

Possible, but you can say that about any capable coordinator. You could say the same thing about Hopkins but he has elected to stay at SU. Yes, he is an alum, but he's not from Syracuse. They're both from CA, actually.

Ah--that's not what I interpreted from the post I responded to [where you asked why are people so high on Golden].

Whether or not it is realistic is an entirely different matter--no argument there. Doesn't hurt for TGD to inquire, though--there is some turmoil down in Coral Gables.

I meant why as in "why are some people holding out hope for something they can't have?"

Possible, but you can say that about any capable coordinator. You could say the same thing about Hopkins but he has elected to stay at SU. Yes, he is an alum, but he's not from Syracuse. They're both from CA, actually.

The difference being that Syracuse basketball has a national recruiting profile, whereas it is far more important to the football program to have strong geographic ties to the northeast / atlantic coast from a recruiting standpoint.

The difference being that Syracuse basketball has a national recruiting profile, whereas it is far more important to the football program to have strong geographic ties to the northeast / atlantic coast from a recruiting standpoint.

Completely agree. But if you've got a good coordinator in house, do you accept defeat? That it's a foregone conclusion that you can't retain him? I think you do what you can to hold on to him so he's still around to be promoted up if/when the current coach bolts.

My understanding is that he has had the chance to be a HC in the MAC at least twice in the past and turned it down.

I know the kids he coaches like and respect him. I think he is a good, not great X and O guy. I think he would recruit reasonably well, but he is not a NE guy and never will be and I don't see the presence a great HC has when he enters a room. Won't be great with alums, fans and the media...not an out going Coach Mac style guy.

I know he wants to be a HC but is willing to wait for a good situation where he thinks he can be successful.

I want someone who is coaching in college right now, has experience recruiting in the East, and has at least has been a coordinator coaching at a high level school or program.

My list:

Golden
Diaco
Hackett
Shafer

I am 99.9% sure we cannot get Golden from Miami and I openly doubt we will pay Diaco and his staff enough to get him to come here. Would love to be proven wrong on either count.

Thanks Tom. Maybe one reason Shafer didn't leave last year/go for a HC job was because he had an idea Doug wasn't happy at SU and he had a shot at being our HC?

I've found that sometimes assistants very on how they operate and some can be excellent understudies and follow the lead of the HC but once they get their shot, we see a different personality, some are what we see. Mac was a bit of a salesmen and I did like that but as long as the new HC wins on the Hill I'm a happy camper no matter what his personality is or perceived to be.

If Gross is likewise on his way out due to the change in chancellors then he plays it safe with this hire which means somone from the current staff. He has one big black mark on his resume with the Gump hire. The DM hire counterbalances that to a degree but he may be defined more by this hire to a prospective employer than those two.

Thanks Tom. Maybe one reason Shafer didn't leave last year/go for a HC job was because he had an idea Doug wasn't happy at SU and he had a shot at being our HC?

I've found that sometimes assistants very on how they operate and some can be excellent understudies and follow the lead of the HC but once they get their shot, we see a different personality, some are what we see. Mac was a bit of a salesmen and I did like that but as long as the new HC wins on the Hill I'm a happy camper no matter what his personality is or perceived to be.
I know Nick Saben pretty well as one of his daughters used to baby sit for my daughter. Lets just say that Nick is a pretty low key guy and he has done ok

I know Nick Saben pretty well as one of his daughters used to baby sit for my daughter. Lets just say that Nick is a pretty low key guy and he has done ok

I agree and as long as the HC is themselves and doesn't try to be something else to please fans or whoever they'll have more success and Saban and many other successful coaches have proved there is not one right formula when it comes to winning other than being a good coach.

We have an former Alabama Defensive linemen on our staff, he said nobody can stand Saban. Not anything about his coaching because he is obviously a very good coach. Alot of great coaches dont have alot of friends while they are in the business.

My understanding is that he has had the chance to be a HC in the MAC at least twice in the past and turned it down.

I know the kids he coaches like and respect him. I think he is a good, not great X and O guy. I think he would recruit reasonably well, but he is not a NE guy and never will be and I don't see the presence a great HC has when he enters a room. Won't be great with alums, fans and the media...not an out going Coach Mac style guy.

I know he wants to be a HC but is willing to wait for a good situation where he thinks he can be successful.

I want someone who is coaching in college right now, has experience recruiting in the East, and has at least has been a coordinator coaching at a high level school or program.

My list:

Golden
Diaco
Hackett
Shafer

I am 99.9% sure we cannot get Golden from Miami and I openly doubt we will pay Diaco and his staff enough to get him to come here. Would love to be proven wrong on either count.

Interesting info and I agree with that list. Would love Golden but prefer Hackett over Shafer. Hackett I think would do a much better job with the external relations part of the job that I think is critical in Syracuse -- we need someone who's not afraid to sell the team and won't just complain about having to do it.

Was this your daughter's babysitter? :eek:

images

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php...-beating-up-sorority-sister-in-drunken-brawl/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom