Feldman: Shafer emerges as strong candidate | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Feldman: Shafer emerges as strong candidate

Yep - looking forward to them playing in the BCS game tonight. Oh, wait.

Do you really think that hurt them with recruits?

Going 12-0 hurts the current players, not the recruits, by not playing in a national championship game.

I wish we could be cleaning and go 12-0 and reel in 5 stars.

Shafer has essentially the same resume.

And I like Shafer too. I like Diaco is from Jersey and has experience stealing recruits from us.

Keon Lyn likes him too

Keon Lyn @KeonLyn8
Just talk to Coach Shaffer. I really hope he gets this job! I'm praying for it

Interesting. To me, that sounds like Shafer really wants the job. As long as he's 100% dedicated to it and knows what he's in for and confident that he can take the program to another level, I'm all for giving him a shot (three years minimum).

Do we really know that Hackett is that good of an offensive mind? It seems like they stumbled onto the hurry up offense almost by accident at the beginning of the season (implemented only 2 weeks before the first game), and then you add in that they refocused the offense from pass-first to ground game in mid-season. I see a young guy who can change course, but if you look back at the 3 years he has been here, it's not a sensational body of work, in terms of how productive our offense has been, until about halfway through this last year.
Thank you! I was having a hard time believing I was the only one thinking this.

Yeah, he's a young guy with upside, but he's only beginning to learn how to be successful as a coordinator.

At first I was ok with it, now not so sure. I just don't know if we can look back in 10 years, and say we were competitive year in and year out for the ACC title, a bunch of top 25 finishes, and maybe a bcs bowl or 2. I see Shafer as more of a Rogers, and DeLeone type. It's the safe choice, but low risk-low reward. I would like to see Syracuse go after Diaco. We need a hot name, and a highly respected recruiter. It may not sit well immediately, and may lose a couple players, but you can't tell me nobody will want to play for one of the hottest assistant coaches, especially if he brings a title home tonight. Now can we get, and pay him may be a different story.

If it were 2 years for now Hackett would be the man, just don't think he's ready yet. Unfortunately we would lose him I assume if we bring in someone from outside.

I think Tyrone Wheatley is a key member of this staff that should be retained. He is a great recruiter and did an outstanding job with the RB's this year!

Lets put this Tressel stuff to rest. There is no way you take a program on the rise and take the risk with Tressel. If we were bottom feeders again? Maybe you take the chance.

Lets put this Tressel stuff to rest. There is no way you take a program on the rise and take the risk with Tressel. If we were bottom feeders again? Maybe you take the chance.
No risk, no reward. Unfortunately, most of this fanbase seems content watching this team win third tier bowl games as a way to kill time between basketball seasons.

From this Dr.Gross interview on the radio - I'd say Shafer or Hackett 90% chance.

No risk, no reward. Unfortunately, most of this fanbase seems content watching this team win third tier bowl games as a way to kill time between basketball seasons.

This isn't your run of the mill risk - this is certifiable, in-writing, sign-off with the NCAA risk. You just don't do it.

It does seem to be the way the wind is blowing.

If the rumors on the good Dr. are true too - he's going to go with the safest bet he can. Shafer is it.

Shafer would be about 7th or 8th on my list. Would not like.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Bees, you seem to be down on Shafer quite a bit. Would be interested in your reasoning. Is just his uneven record?

If hiring Schafer means keeping Hackett, I'm all in. I think it is critically important to keep Hackett mainly from a recruiting standpoint. He was an important figure with the high school offensive recruits (Allen, Wilson, Edwards and Smith).

Nailed it. This is exactly where I'm at. If we are to simply promote Shafer, it MUST be with the offensive staff let intact. First off, our best recruiters are on the offensive side of the ball (Hackett, Adkins, Wheatley). If we promote Shafer and Hackett, Adkins, and Wheatley are goners and Shafer needs to find a new offense, is everyone going to be happy with that? I sure as hell won't.

As likely as you voting for President Obama...

LOU Holtz, that is...

The negotiations are in a snag over Gross's demand for splash shields on every team member's helmet, to be deducted from Lou's salary...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom