FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

Cool. At least some are in the northeast.

So the next question is, of those US venues, what is the most likely one for the US to play in? Assuming they qualify.
Host nation automatically gets in.

Definitely DC and probably Seattle and a Texas venue, is my guess.

Any guesses where it might be played here if the US did host?

Maybe the Dome? :)

Well, I can tell you where it won't be played. I won't get to make a return trip to the Pontiac Silverdome. Not unless they send the maids in there. ;)

If the US hosted we would play the opening match in the place where the Final would be held most likely. I would bet that would be the Rose Bowl in LA if we co-hosted with Mexico or MetLife if we co-hosted with Canada.
I would bet the US would play its 3 matches from these places Seattle,JerryWorld,Philly,D.C., Foxboro,_Arizona.

Well, I can tell you where it won't be played. I won't get to make a return trip to the Pontiac Silverdome. Not unless they send the maids in there. ;)
I was a little kid when I was at the Silverdome when the USA tied Switzerland 1-1 if was weird watching a match indoors and was my first USMNT match in 1994.

I was a little kid when I was at the Silverdome when the USA tied Switzerland 1-1 if was weird watching a match indoors and was my first USMNT match in 1994.

And it was HOT! I sat way up in the nosebleeds, and it was scorching up there. The ushers kept telling this row of guys to put their shirts back on, and the two sections would just boo the ushers. Finally we all decided to take off our shirts...two entire sections. When the ushers came back and saw that, they disappeared and never came back. I remember trying to walk in with a giant 2-liter Gatorade bottle (they made those back then) and getting frisked at the door. I guess my coat was a dead giveaway. There was literally a mountain of full beverage bottles piled up in the corner of the security fence...they let nothing in. When I got in I saw that beverages were like $4 a pop. They made a fortune that day.

I think I'm a Luis Suarez fan after today. I didn't realize the mountain of this guy has taken. The game he had today, especially a month after surgery, clearly meant a great deal to him. He was very emotional after the game. I haven't watched him in EPL, so I don't know if the criticism is warranted, but the guy seems like a winner and a player you want by your side when the game is on the line. I'm sure England would have traded Rooney for him.

Group C outside of Colombia is really really weak.

You keep saying this but Ivory Coast is extremely similar to Colombia and played them almost even today. I like Colombia quite a bit but if CIV had 32 year old Drogba vs 36 year old Drogba that game finishes 2-2 at worst for them. Sanchez got worked in the midfield all second half and CIV pretty much walked the ball within 25 yards of goal everytime they had it.

China will get the World Cup in 2026 if they are anything close to ready to host. FIFA is dying to give them the tourney. Huge market. Big money. Football-crazy population and the WC has never been there before. If Brazil and SA can manage the infrastructure requirements, there's no way China is coming up short.

We're looking at Russia in 2018, Qatar in 2022 and China in 2026. After that, FIFA is going to be under pressure from the old guard to bring it back to western Europe since it will have been 20 years since the tourney was played on the Continent.

That means it's 2030 before the US can realistically expect to win hosting rights. The Dome and/or its replacement might be too old. Australia gets shafted in all this. In a just world, Qatar is striped of 2022, but it will never happen. FIFA and a lot of other people don't want people asking more questions than is necessary about how it won the bid. No way they are going to set off a feeding frenzy by changing their minds now.

Last edited:
When you think about it, the US is really the only country (maybe a couple of Euros too) that could pull off hosting a major event like World Cup with less than normal notice. We already have the facilities, hotels, etc. I hope they flash the red card on Qatar and bring it here. 1994 was UN FREAKIN BELIEVEABLE!!!!

Bingo. They did the same thing with the women's Cup in 2003 and only needed a few months. They could probably figure out the rest in less than a year. I doubt Australia or Canada has 12 FIFA-ready stadiums. Germany would be a logical choice, but they got it in 06.

China will get the World Cup in 2026 if they are anything close to ready to host. FIFA is dying to give them the tourney. Huge market. Big money. Football-crazy population and the WC has never been there before. If Brazil and SA can manage the infrastructure requirements, there's no way China is coming up short.

We're looking at Russia in 2018, Qatar in 2022 and China in 2026. After that, FIFA is going to be under pressure from the old guard to bring it back to western Europe since it will have been 20 years since the tourney was played on the Continent.

That means it's 2030 before the US can realistically expect to win hosting rights. The Dome and/or its replacement might be too old. Australia gets shafted in all this. In a just world, Qatar is striped of 2022, but it will never happen. FIFA and a lot of other people don't want people asking more questions than is necessary about how it won the bid. No way they are going to set of a feeding frenzy by changing their minds now.

I don't think they go Far East in 2026 unless Qatar gets stripped. The time zone difference over there kills viewership and can slow interest in the west. They would be going 16 years without a WC in which people in North and South America can watch during "normal" hours.

When you think about it, the US is really the only country (maybe a couple of Euros too) that could pull off hosting a major event like World Cup with less than normal notice.

England could do it no problem. The Brits may be bad at winning in sports but no one is better at putting on a sporting event. They have all the infrastructure -- doubly so if they roped in ROI, NI, Scotland and Wales in a combined GB bid. The problem is FIFA hates the guys who run English football and visa versa. Plus, everyone is terrified of a hooligan problem. Shame because it would be a first-rate host nation. So, yeah, the US are the only ones who could step in on short notice.

That means it's 2030 before the US can realistically expect to win hosting rights. The Dome and/or its replacement might be too old. Australia gets shafted in all this. In a just world, Qatar is striped of 2022, but it will never happen. FIFA and a lot of other people don't want people asking more questions than is necessary about how it won the bid. No way they are going to set off a feeding frenzy by changing their minds now.
FIFA rules state when a region hosts it has to go atleast 2 cycles before the World Cup can return. That is why Europe gets it every 3rd WC. Europe is getting 2018, Asia is getting 2022 thus 2026 will go to CONCACAF. I think if Qatar is stripped of 2022 it stays in Asia with Australia and then 2026 is a joint USA and one of Canada/Mexico affair.

You keep saying this but Ivory Coast is extremely similar to Colombia and played them almost even today. I like Colombia quite a bit but if CIV had 32 year old Drogba vs 36 year old Drogba that game finishes 2-2 at worst for them. Sanchez got worked in the midfield all second half and CIV pretty much walked the ball within 25 yards of goal everytime they had it.
If Drogba could play 90 maybe the CIC would make me feel better but Yaya Toure from Man City has been a bust I thought mediocre Japan team outplayed the Ivory Coast and the CIC got 2 goals in 3 minutes after trailing and stole one. Columbia was the better side I thought as well. Ghana is the best African team in my opinion and if they were in an a better group could really do some damage.

England could do it no problem. The Brits may be bad at winning in sports but no one is better at putting on a sporting event. They have all the infrastructure -- doubly so if they roped in ROI, NI, Scotland and Wales in a combined GB bid. The problem is FIFA hates the guys who run English football and visa versa. Plus, everyone is terrified of a hooligan problem. Shame because it would be a first-rate host nation. So, yeah, the US are the only ones who could step in on short notice.
England lost 2018 to Russia because of the British press vjcious reportings on FIFA. Thus the FIFA executive committee punished the FA and England got no support. England won't get a chance to host for a while sadly unless UEFA clears the European bids for them.

Just so people know that every 3 cycles rule was enacted after Germany got the 2006 World Cup. Every 3rd WC now take place in Europe and Asia, Africa, CONCACAF, and South America will divide up the rest.

Bingo. They did the same thing with the women's Cup in 2003 and only needed a few months. They could probably figure out the rest in less than a year. I doubt Australia or Canada has 12 FIFA-ready stadiums. Germany would be a logical choice, but they got it in 06.

Australia could pull it off easily. They already have 5 venues with 45k+ capacity used for soccer and could retrofit some Aussie football and cricket grounds for others. They may not even have to build any new stadiums.

Another interesting country from the Asian region is India. I think they already have at least 6 cricket venues that hold at least 55k since that is their NFL

If Drogba could play 90 maybe the CIC would make me feel better but Yaya Toure from Man City has been a bust I thought mediocre Japan team outplayed the Ivory Coast and the CIC got 2 goals in 3 minutes after trailing and stole one. Columbia was the better side I thought as well. Ghana is the best African team in my opinion and if they were in an a better group could really do some damage.

Suppose It comes down to how you initially had the African teams rated. I had/have them rated CIV, Ghana, Nigeria, Cameroon, Algeria.

I always rate opening matches a bit differently because opposition has months to prepare for an opponent. That's why I was so glad we pulled Ghana first and likewise if you give Japan time to gameplan something they're going to out think you.

MLS isn't a bad product if you are in the right market. Portland, Seattle, KC, even the NY Red Bulls stadium seems pretty rocking.
Philadelphia, RSL, have good atmosphere. DC and The Revs have to get stadiums built, I attend about 5 or 6 REd Bull home games every year , the ESC ( my sons a member ) Empire Supporters Club do a great job at RED Bull arena. The atmosphere at games has improved 100 % since the early 2000. The games used to be a good place to take a nap...not anymore.

Australia could pull it off easily. They already have 5 venues with 45k+ capacity used for soccer and could retrofit some Aussie football and cricket grounds for others. They may not even have to build any new stadiums.

Another interesting country from the Asian region is India. I think they already have at least 6 cricket venues that hold at least 55k since that is their NFL

You need 10-12 venues and retrofitting could take years. A couple have to be well beyond 45K. It's also conflicts with the rugby/aussie rules seasons, so they'd have scheduling issues, whereas the NFL is on hiatus in the June/July. The hotel/transportation situation is also much more established.

It depends on how much notice they are given. I'm presuming a last second emergency change (say 1-2 years notice). If they yanked Qatar's bid prior to 2018, say, I think any 1st world country could manage it.

England lost 2018 to Russia because of the British press vjcious reportings on FIFA. Thus the FIFA executive committee punished the FA and England got no support. England won't get a chance to host for a while sadly unless UEFA clears the European bids for them.

What was so vicious about what the British press reported? Almost everyone connected to the Qatari bid was on the take and the FIFA top brass have been milking their positions for perks and backhanders for years. Totally agree England has no chance.

You need 10-12 venues and retrofitting could take years. A couple have to be well beyond 45K. It's also conflicts with the rugby/aussie rules seasons, so they'd have scheduling issues, whereas the NFL is on hiatus in the June/July. The hotel/transportation situation is also much more established.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_soccer_stadiums_in_Australia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_Football_League_grounds
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cricket_grounds_by_capacity

I can see scheduleing conflicts but presume it could be sorted similar to how MSG handles it. Can't imagine retrofits taking quite that time if being needed at all. I'm thinking England w/ Wembley. Looks like India already have 12 facilities with 45k and up capacities.

I would put Russia, Ukraine, Greece, and Turkey all ahead of MLS... How many MLS teams could stand a chance in the champions league. MLS does not have a big name team. Russia has Zenit, Greece Olympiacos, Turkey Galatasaray, Ukraine Dynamo and Shakhtar.

Teams from Russian, Ukraine, Greece and Turkey are usually cannon fodder in the Group stages of Champions League. LA Galaxy a year or so ago probably could compete with some of those teams. Maybe not Shaktar Donetsk with their handful of young Brazilians every year, but most of the rest of them. When I talk about a league, it's about more than just its best team. It's the depth of talent throughout the league, how many of their young players are being bought by the Big Four European league teams.

That's what's so hard. If MLS was a great product I'd be rooting like crazy for the nearest MLS team. I can't really identify with some team overseas. I'm German and Polish so I guess I could root for Bayern Munich but still not the same. Hopefully MLS keeps growing. I think there is a team coming by me in Atlanta, or am I totally wrong?

Premier League is on TV every weekend and Champions League during the week. Just start watching and see if any particular team's style of play appeals to you. That's it. Soon, you'll have a favorite team.

MLS is not as bad as it used to be around the time of the last World Cup. The league is legit "AAA" now, where it used to be like "AA" baseball 4 years ago. It's a pretty good product, and any sport that has no timeouts is great with me. Fatigue plays a factor, tempers get short. It's a great viewing experience compared to most other sports.

Omg, this crowd has been singing the same song for about an hour.

That's one of the great things about soccer. Fans sing a lot during the games, and use songs and chants to make fun of players and coaches. They can be very witty.