FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

oh really? wow...

I swear I saw a dude either yesterday or this morning get a red card, leave the field, and they made no mention of being down to 10 men.

Soccer newbie here. Hooked tho
Awesome! Welcome to the club! You'll have to find either an MLS or Euro team to root for in the four years between World Cups (may I recommend Chelsea :D). There's a good group of knowledgeable futbol fans here on this board.

Yup. Two yellow cards in one match to a player results in a red card, and that player is sent off without a replacement. A ref may also issue a straight red card for a particularly harsh offense.

Awesome! Welcome to the club! You'll have to find either an MLS or Euro team to root for in the four years between World Cups (may I recommend Chelsea :D). There's a good group of knowledgeable futbol fans here on this board.

Yup. Two yellow cards in one match to a player results in a red card, and that player is sent off without a replacement. A ref may also issue a straight red card for a particularly harsh offense.

I was thinking about the MLS and Euro, I have some decisions to make lol. When are they both in season?

Another stupid question... Playing with 10 guys... is that doable? or does Japan have a crazy advantage.. Like a power play in hockey, you expect the team to score the majority of the time.

That's what's so hard. If MLS was a great product I'd be rooting like crazy for the nearest MLS team. I can't really identify with some team overseas. I'm German and Polish so I guess I could root for Bayern Munich but still not the same. Hopefully MLS keeps growing. I think there is a team coming by me in Atlanta, or am I totally wrong?

I was thinking about the MLS and Euro, I have some decisions to make lol. When are they both in season?

Another stupid question... Playing with 10 guys... is that doable? or does Japan have a crazy advantage.. Like a power play in hockey, you expect the team to score the majority of the time.
It's doable, but a nice advantage for Japan in this case because Greece isn't great. Sometimes, it's not a huge deal if the difference in talent is so great. Think about it like this: The US playing 11-on-10 against Germany (a favorite to win the cup) might be analogous to SU football playing Florida State 11-0n-10.

Most leagues around the world stick to a schedule that runs August - May as dictated by FIFA. MLS is a bit different, and is in season right now.

That's what's so hard. If MLS was a great product I'd be rooting like crazy for the nearest MLS team. I can't really identify with some team overseas. I'm German and Polish so I guess I could root for Bayern Munich but still not the same. Hopefully MLS keeps growing. I think there is a team coming by me in Atlanta, or am I totally wrong?
Atlanta is getting a team. They'll share a brand new stadium with the Falcons.

EDIT: Looks like they'll be called the Atlanta Phoenix, and being play in 2017.

I honestly believe the 4th place teams from Group D and Group G are better than the 2nd best team that is going to come out of Group C. Ivory Coast, Japan, Greece got such an easy group Ghana, USA, England, Costa Rica, Portugal, Uruguay would all be favored to finish 2nd in Group C behind Columbia.

Just throwing it out there...what if FIFA strips the 2022 World Cup from Qatar (as they should), gives it to the US, AND Syracuse has a new stadium built by then? Can you imagine a World Cup game in Syracuse? Holy Smokes! I'm dreaming, I know...

If
Just throwing it out there...what if FIFA strips the 2022 World Cup from Qatar (as they should), gives it to the US, AND Syracuse has a new stadium built by then? Can you imagine a World Cup game in Syracuse? Holy Smokes! I'm dreaming, I know...
If Qatar is stripped the USA won't be the host they won't want piss off a Mideast ally. It will go to Australia I'd Qatar is stripped and 2026 will go to one of the USA, Mexico, Canada since 2018 would be in Europe, 2022 in Asia, 2026 would go to North America in the rotation as Africa and South America would be eligible but CONCACAF would be he favorite. I could see a joint USA/Mexico or USA/Canada bid for 2026.

If

If Qatar is stripped the USA won't be the host they won't want piss off a Mideast ally. It will go to Australia I'd Qatar is stripped and 2026 will go to one of the USA, Mexico, Canada since 2018 would be in Europe, 2022 in Asia, 2026 would go to North America in the rotation as Africa and South America would be eligible but CONCACAF would be he favorite. I could see a joint USA/Mexico or USA/Canada bid for 2026.
ESPN Deportes has reported that FIFA has already put the US on notice that if the Qatar bid is rescinded, it's going to the US. The US doesn't give two shits about offending Qatar. The beef would be with Qatar and the FIFA reps they corrupted anyhow, not with the US.

ESPN Deportes has reported that FIFA has already put the US on notice that if the Qatar bid is rescinded, it's going to the US. The US doesn't give two shits about offending Qatar. The beef would be with Qatar and the FIFA reps they corrupted anyhow, not with the US.
I don't think it will be the USA honestly if Qatar is stripped Australia makes more sense it keeps it in the Asian federation region and guarantees CONCACAF 2026 with a joint Mexico/USA or Canada/USA host job.
The Aussies were a 2022 contender when Qatar bought the election.

MLS isn't a bad product if you are in the right market. Portland, Seattle, KC, even the NY Red Bulls stadium seems pretty rocking.

Outside of Brasil the 2 teams I felt have flopped all over the pitch have been S. Korea and Japan. Group C outside of Columbia is really really weak.

I don't think it will be the USA honestly if Qatar is stripped Australia makes more sense it keeps it in the Asian federation region and guarantees CONCACAF 2026 with a joint Mexico/USA or Canada/USA host job.
The Aussies were a 2022 contender when Qatar bought the election.
Canada is very very interested in 2026.

Zlatan can go F off. We know the USA needs more strikers but have made the WC knockout round in 1994, 2002, 2010 we aren't elite but unlike Sweden we are still playing. While his World Cup participation is in those Nike cartoon commercials.

T
Canada is very very interested in 2026.
The USA is going to be a host for the next time CONCACAF gets it. I think it will be co-hosted with one of Mexico or Canada so Canada being interested makes sense.

I was hopeful that our conditioning would be an edge. We didn't see that against Ghana, either, but we might against Portugal. All of our players from MLS have not just come off a 50 game season like the players in European leagues have.

More conditioned than Ghana? I don't think any team in the world is more conditioned than Ghana. I think we did well considering the injuries and humid conditions. Our conditioning will play a bigger role going forward.

When you think about it, the US is really the only country (maybe a couple of Euros too) that could pull off hosting a major event like World Cup with less than normal notice. We already have the facilities, hotels, etc. I hope they flash the red card on Qatar and bring it here. 1994 was UN FREAKIN BELIEVEABLE!!!!

ESPN reported tonight that Kaka will play for Sao Paolo next season and will sign with MLS (the new Orlando franchise) for the following season.

PeteCalvin said:
When you think about it, the US is really the only country (maybe a couple of Euros too) that could pull off hosting a major event like World Cup with less than normal notice. We already have the facilities, hotels, etc. I hope they flash the red card on Qatar and bring it here. 1994 was UN FREAKIN BELIEVEABLE!!!!

Any guesses where it might be played here if the US did host?

Maybe the Dome? :)

Any guesses where it might be played here if the US did host?

Maybe the Dome? :)
I'm so glad you asked! Deadspin published an article about this very topic the other day.

Even if they could get natural grass in the Dome, it's not large enough to accommodate a regulation pitch. Build a new stadium, though, and who knows.

Bortukal said:
I'm so glad you asked! Deadspin published an article about this very topic the other day. Even if they could get natural grass in the Dome, it's not large enough to accommodate a regulation pitch. Build a new stadium, though, and who knows.

Cool. At least some are in the northeast.

So the next question is, of those US venues, what is the most likely one for the US to play in? Assuming they qualify.