FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

RVP and Robben best attacking duo in this year's WC. I like the Socceroos but want the Dutch to win here so we can get Spain v. Brazil and Netherlands v.Mexico in the knockout games.

They are going to need to tighten up at the back if they want to win Netherlands

Latest word on the street has the Portugal team doctor suggesting to Ronaldo that he should sit out the rest of the World Cup. Would be gigantic loss for Portugal, obviously, but an equally as gigantic swing in the US's favor. He didn't practice today and was seen with ice on his knee.

Back to last night, though, I was pretty proud of the Korean side standing pretty tall with Russia. Russia had a pretty substantial physical advantage, which most Asian countries will go up against, but their substitute Lee caused them some problems on the flank. I like watching them play since they're a little less prone to over-exaggerating calls and try to keep their feet more often than not. It's a shame the Russian goal counted; they'd have a pretty good shot at advancing then, and really still do by taking on Belgium in their final game.

RVP and Robben best attacking duo in this year's WC. I like the Socceroos but want the Dutch to win here so we can get Spain v. Brazil and Netherlands v.Mexico in the knockout games.
I still think Croatia makes it through with 6 points from their last two games. They deserved better against Brazil, and will have Mandzukic back.

Latest word on the street has the Portugal team doctor suggesting to Ronaldo that he should sit out the rest of the World Cup. Would be gigantic loss for Portugal, obviously, but an equally as gigantic swing in the US's favor. He didn't practice today and was seen with ice on his knee.

Back to last night, though, I was pretty proud of the Korean side standing pretty tall with Russia. Russia had a pretty substantial physical advantage, which most Asian countries will go up against, but their substitute Lee caused them some problems on the flank. I like watching them play since they're a little less prone to over-exaggerating calls and try to keep their feet more often than not. It's a shame the Russian goal counted; they'd have a pretty good shot at advancing then, and really still do by taking on Belgium in their final game.
I can't see CR7 tapping out yet. I highly doubt he can play 90 minutes in that heat they will have unless it rains on Sunday. If no CR7 the USA should be favored IMO.
That weather is going to be a huge factor on Sunday watching the England-Italy match their the English wilted in that heat and humidity. If Germany gets 1 point in the Boateng derby the USA can clinch a spot in the 16 with a win on Sunday.

I saw a couple reports today saying that Ronaldo's doctor told him he needs to rest for 2 months or risk his entire career. Seems to be somewhat serious.

I still think Croatia makes it through with 6 points from their last two games. They deserved better against Brazil, and will have Mandzukic back.
Croatia got screwed by that WWF Japanese ref in their first match but Mexico only needing a draw is huge. BHI dominated Mexico in that friendly and they are similar to Croatia so you may be right I just favor Mexico in that match to draw.

I can't see CR7 tapping out yet. I highly doubt he can play 90 minutes in that heat they will have unless it rains on Sunday. If no CR7 the USA should be favored IMO.
That weather is going to be a huge factor on Sunday watching the England-Italy match their the English wilted in that heat and humidity. If Germany gets 1 point in the Boateng derby the USA can clinch a spot in the 16 with a win on Sunday.
Portugal still has a better team on paper without Ronaldo. Paper means nothing however

Netherlands are lucky they have that goal difference because RVP is suspended for the Chile match when they play next. If Spain beats Chile then Dutch would need at least a draw against Chile to secure advancement but their GD will save them unless Chile destroyed them.

Portugal still has a better team on paper without Ronaldo. Paper means nothing however
Portugal will be without their starting centerbacks and if CR7 was out only Nani is really elite the USA will have more fans and more confidence we would be favored if they didn't have Ronaldo but it would be close either way.
The USA beat Portugal at the 2002 WC so we aren't nobodies. We lack an elite striker but have good midfielders, solid potential center backs, and Dempsey to be he scorer.
I felt whoever won between the USA and Ghana would finish 2nd in the group.

I'm counting on it. Mexican fans are terrible to the USMNT when we visit and their players have an arrogance that bears no relation to their performance. I hope Croatia takes care of business. Could be wrong but a tie today would still leave the group wide open, i.e. Mexico and Brazil sitting on 4 with the other guys at one point and little GD.

I'm counting on it. Mexican fans are terrible to the USMNT when we visit and their players have an arrogance that bears no relation to their performance. I hope Croatia takes care of business. Could be wrong but a tie today would still leave the group wide open, i.e. Mexico and Brazil sitting on 4 with the other guys at one point and little GD.
Mexico is our rival thus they would be nasty to us. It's nothing on the EPL story when I believe Liverpool or Arensal were fighting for a CL spot and the fans from Everton or Tottenham food poisoned their rivals and got away with it.

Mexican fans will give the USA more respect because we played Panama tough on the last CONCAFA match and helped them reach the WC instead of lying down. Graham Zusi is popular in Mexico now.

I saw a couple reports today saying that Ronaldo's doctor told him he needs to rest for 2 months or risk his entire career. Seems to be somewhat serious.

I feel like the entire injury thing has been fabricated to give him an excuse to bail on what was always going to be an underachieving Portuguese team. He looked fine in their first match chasing the ref all over the pitch.

They're pretty terible to everyone. Not sure they discriminate.

Spain is pulling a France wow. Chile up 2-0 Iker Casillas looks done. I am surprised that De Gea from Man U didn't start this match for Spain.

My exact message to a coworker before that second goal.

that akward moment when you look at Spain and realize they have more talent on the bench than they do on the field 3:34 PM
i dont like their starting 11 3:34 PM
like 6 of them

I was impressed with their aggressive style of play.

My exact message to a coworker before that second goal.

that akward moment when you look at Spain and realize they have more talent on the bench than they do on the field 3:34 PM
i dont like their starting 11 3:34 PM
like 6 of them
Bqb9crAIIAAsDTZ.jpg

After RVP embarrassed Iker on that 2nd goal in the last match De Gea was the obvious start in net. He was one of the few Man U players this year who played well.

If Del Bosque doesn't put Mata, David Villa, and De Gea in as his subs he is a moron. I don't get how Mata doesn't start after how bad they were embarrassed in the midfield last match.

The American ref Geiger is doing a terrific job. He was great in the Columbia-Greece match and he is doing a great job in this marquee match. Howard Webb and his yellow cards hasn't done 1 match yet.