FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

Mexico is our rival thus they would be nasty to us. It's nothing on the EPL story when I believe Liverpool or Arensal were fighting for a CL spot and the fans from Everton or Tottenham food poisoned their rivals and got away with it.

Mexican fans will give the USA more respect because we played Panama tough on the last CONCAFA match and helped them reach the WC instead of lying down. Graham Zusi is popular in Mexico now.

The Mexican fans let out huge cheers when Zusi came into the game the other night. I think the Mexican fans are much more supportive of the US this time around.

NewFlowJa.jpg

Mandzukic deserved that slap from Song.

Do they teach Flopping at Bayern? Ribery, Mandzukic ect.

Suarez vs. England is the match to watch today. If he scores the reaction will be L-E-G-E-N- wait for it- D-A-R-Y.

Question for the non-casual soccer fans here..

How is MLS viewed around the world? Also, how is the USA team viewed around the world if say Italian fans see United States in their group when the World Cup draw is done?

How is MLS viewed around the world? Also, how is the USA team viewed around the world if say Italian fans see United States in their group when the World Cup draw is done?
When I studied aboard in Seville while at SU the Spanish saw the MLS as double A compared to MLB being La Liga, Serie A, Bundleagua, EPL.
They also thought when the World Cup draws come up the USA, Mexico are the teams they don't want in their region over the rest of CONCACAF or any Asian teams. We aren't feared but the top teams would prefer to avoid us. The US team is just world class strikers away from competing legitimately for the WC.

Quality of play in the MLS has improved greatly. I'd think we've moved from a third tier league to a second teir similar to the Erdevisie but then again if we were second tier we'd likely also have more bigger leagues raiding us for players so perhaps I'm being too kind.

I don't think the US puts a ton of fear in the bigger sides but at the same time they'd rather avoid us if they could.

Question for the non-casual soccer fans here.. How is MLS viewed around the world? Also, how is the USA team viewed around the world if say Italian fans see United States in their group when the World Cup draw is done?
I had tickets for the US-Italy match at the 2006 World Cup. I invited an Italian business client who passed. He didn't think the US was a worthy opponent/it would be a good match (actually, it was). That still sums it up in Europe, IMHO. MLS is perceived as a league where stars end their careers, not build them. The money and talent is in the European leagues (true).

The USMNT gets respect for its resilience, conditioning and teamwork - we won't roll over - among knowledgable European fans but none for its style. What is also respected is the US as a business market. Powerhouse teams like touring the States because it's an important market to have visibility in for marketing and growth purposes, much like China. Global fans also respect the country's potential because of our large population base and because we're successful in other sports.

Having a coach like Jurgen with a first-rate pedigree helps perceptions, especially in Europe, and winning at the WC is better than anything else. Even then, perceptions are slow to change. We routinely perform at or better than the Brits in the WC, but their press still considers us an easy out on the world stage. It's moving in the right direction but will take time.

Its a shame Giuseppe Rossi born in NJ chose Italy over the USA for his national team. I am not upset because we have raided Germany and Iceland for players but he is exactly the type of player we need to be contenders at the WC and we lost Neven Subotic to Serbia because of that ahole Thomas Rongan our under 20 manager who got fired for losing us Subotic is a nice player at Borussia Dortmund in Germany. More of these talents and we could be real contenders. Bradley leaving Roma for Toronto and Dempsey leaving Tottenham for Seattle still shake my head. I can't wait for Chivas USA to overpay for Chicarato from Man U which seems like another dumb move.

Its a shame Giuseppe Rossi born in NJ chose Italy over the USA for his national team. I am not upset because we have raided Germany and Iceland for players but he is exactly the type of player we need to be contenders at the WC and we lost Neven Subotic to Serbia because of that ahole Thomas Rongan our under 20 manager who got fired for losing us Subotic is a nice player at Borussia Dortmund in Germany. More of these talents and we could be real contenders. Bradley leaving Roma for Toronto and Dempsey leaving Tottenham for Seattle still shake my head. I can't wait for Chivas USA to overpay for Chicarato from Man U which seems like another dumb move.
I wonder if Bradley and Dempsey chose to return to MLS to be closer to USMNT training camps and WC qualifiers. I can't figure it out either. Especially Bradley, who was highly respected in Serie A.

You are a scholar and a gentleman. Thank you, kind sir.

Glad to help. I'm trying to watch every minute I can and have had some help by a very kind board member in the process as well.

Subotic is a [insert expletive of your choice here], but he would do wonders for our back line.

T
I wonder if Bradley and Dempsey chose to return to MLS to be closer to USMNT training camps and WC qualifiers. I can't figure it out either. Especially Bradley, who was highly respected in Serie A.
They both took the $$$ and ability to live in North America closer to home than compete in tougher leagues. It's good for MLS but bad for our national team. We need as many guys to play in UEFA Champions League as possible. The MLS will get better and catch up to the Mexican League but honestly I don't care about the MLS over our national team.

Subotic is a [insert expletive of your choice here], but he would do wonders for our back line.
Rongen was a moron in 07 for excluding him from the U-20 WC in Canada. Subotic is a POS sometimes on the pitch but he is a great defender with world class and would have played for the USA if Rongen didn't disrespect him.

Holy Liverpool
6 of their starting XI are starting this Uruguay-England match
Sterling, Sturrudge, Gerrard, Henderson, Johnson for England and the leading scorer from the BPL Suarez for Uruguay.

I can't see CR7 tapping out yet. I highly doubt he can play 90 minutes in that heat they will have unless it rains on Sunday. If no CR7 the USA should be favored IMO.
That weather is going to be a huge factor on Sunday watching the England-Italy match their the English wilted in that heat and humidity. If Germany gets 1 point in the Boateng derby the USA can clinch a spot in the 16 with a win on Sunday.

Honestly, if you watch any European soccer broadcasts, you know that the players who make up Portugal's lineup without Ronaldo are technically more proficient than our guys and more used to the big stage. I couldn't believe how terrible we were at simply maintaining possession against Ghana. It's like we were a hockey team for the last 60 minutes of the game and our strategy was "icing" every time we got the ball. Kick it long, turn it over, absorb pressure, repeat. You don't win games that way. We were very lucky against Ghana; they dominated us in that game. If we don't play MUCH better, Portugal will dominate the ball and eventually find their way through to goal.

Bradley wasn't getting time at Roma after they brought in a new coach. Better to play in a lesser league than sit the bench in a big one.