FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 76 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

Diego Costa to Chelsea complete. I am shocked Atletico Madrid is selling him. I get they can't keep guys, but they should have won the La Liga/Champions League double last year. Now they lost Courteis and Costa to Chelsea(to be fair Courteis was on loan), David Villa and they will be lucky to finish 3rd next yeat in La Liga. Just shows how much better the Premiere League is.
Don't like the Arsenal Khedira move as a CFC fan. Arsenal are loading up.

Also, the Cahill/Terry combo in center D makes me nervous. Can they hold up? What are the odds Terry goes mostly injury free again? And CFC have a lot of eggs in the Costa basket. If Costa gets hurt, is it same old same old? I'd like another player up front. Bringing back Didier for one more run would be fun if nothing else but can he even play 90 minutes?

Qatar is going to lose the 2022 WC IMO. Budweiser, Sony, Visa, Adidas which pay about 120 millions dollar a year want FIFA to investigate Qatar 2022. Coca-Cola, Emirate Airlines give another 60 million a year and if they pressure FIFA Qatar is done. As I have been saying Australia 2022 and then USA 2026 are my predictions.

Imagine the tourney we just saw and then everyone going back to full-on Premier League action right about now. Because that's what happens if they end up playing this thing in December, which is inevitable if Qatar keeps the WC. The fixture list is going to be tight beyond comprehension for the Euro leagues. It's a complete debacle.

The Emirates angle is interesting because of the regional rivalries. I'm surprised UAE didn't bid for the WC (or wonder what happened to their bid). UAE is so much better than Qatar. They have a tourist friendly story to sell. Guess Qatar got the jump.

Think the current Barca issue deals with the transfer of Neymar, namely how much they paid for him, who all they paid for him, and how much they paid taxes on. They reportedly paid 48mil for him BUT sounds as though it was quite a bit more (72 mil) with under the table money or money to different parties. That got found out as well as them not paying taxes on the rest which started the current snowball rolling.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-repay-owed-taxes-Neymar-transfer-Santos.html

I'm not sure they ever had any issues dealing with Messi's transfer.
Wasn't on Messi's transfer rather other youth players they purchased and how they did it.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27126522

Didn't have anything to do with Neymar.

Ok well here are the teams I think will qualify for Euro 2016(im bored). Top 2 make it while the 3rd place team goes into playoffs (*shudders*)

Group A
Netherlands x
Turkey x
Czech p
Iceland
Latvia
Kazakhstan

Group B
Belgium x
Wales x
Bosnia p
Israel
Cyprus
Andorra

Group C
Spain x
Ukraine x
Slovakia p
Belarus
Macedonia
Luxembourg

Group D
Germany x
Ireland x
Poland p
Scotland
Georgia
Gibraltar (Lol)

Group E
Switzerland x
England x
Lithuania p
Slovenia
Estonia
San Marino

Group F
Greece x
Hungary x
Romania p
Northern Ireland
Finland
Faroe Islands

Group G
Sweden x
Austria x
Montenegro p
Russia
Moldova
Liechtenstein

Group H
Italy x
Croatia x
Norway p
Bulgaria
Azerbaijan
Malta

Group I
Portugal x
Denmark x
Serbia
Albania
Armenia

Host: FRANCE.

Coming up in early September! Go Ukraine!

Regardless of wheter intents are on the up and up, this will help these players and their families live a better life than they otherwise would. European clubs pluck young talent from all over the world into academies but I believe they have to be 15 or 16 years old if coming from a different country to England.

There was a bit of kick back with Messi as he joined Barca very young as well

"At the age of 11, Messi was diagnosed with a growth hormone deficiency.[19] Local team River Plate showed interest in Messi's progress, but were not willing to pay for treatment for his condition, which cost $900 a month.[13]Carles Rexach, the sporting director of FC Barcelona, was made aware of his talent as Messi had relatives in Lleida in western Catalonia, and Messi and his father were able to arrange a trial with the team.[13] Rexach, with no other paper at hand, offered Messi a contract written on a paper napkin.[20][21] Barcelona offered to pay Messi's medical bills on the condition that he moved to Spain. Messi and his father duly moved to Barcelona, where Messi enrolled in the club's youth academy.[17][21]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Messi
I read that there is a fair amount of animosity in Argentina towards Messi because he didn't live there as a teenager and for not playing for Argentina prior to the U20 age group due to restrictions placed on him by Barca. He actually could have played Internationally for 3 Countries: Italy (grandparents lineage), Spain (residence) and Argentina (birth nation). He chose Argentina. Not sure what the fuss is all about. He's given his all to his Country. I'm afraid that when all is said and done though, he will be compared to Baggio - the greatest player of his time who never quite was able to lead his Country to the trophy.

Imagine the tourney we just saw and then everyone going back to full-on Premier League action right about now. Because that's what happens if they end up playing this thing in December, which is inevitable if Qatar keeps the WC. The fixture list is going to be tight beyond comprehension for the Euro leagues. It's a complete debacle.

The Emirates angle is interesting because of the regional rivalries. I'm surprised UAE didn't bid for the WC (or wonder what happened to their bid). UAE is so much better than Qatar. They have a tourist friendly story to sell. Guess Qatar got the jump.
This is going to be crap show. I can't wait for Platini-Blatter election for FIFA President. Platini seems very likely to cram the winter WC on the European leagues while Blatter has stayed quieter on this because he wants to win the election. Blatter has quietly buying the African region while Platini has bought Asia by supporting this winter WC. This election will likely be decided by UEFA and CONCACAF.

I think Blatter is more likely to take the WC from Qatar then Platini. Platini voted for Qatar I think he was bought, but sadly I want Blatter to win re-election as the devil you know is better than that fraud Frenchmen Platini.

UAE would have been the best Arab country to host the WC if FIFA wanted it in that scary region. Qatar 2022 is one WC I won't consider going to as I would never feel safe. Just give 2022 to Australia keep it in the Asian region and give the USA 2026 for our 250th anniversary as a country.

This is going to be crap show. I can't wait for Platini-Blatter election for FIFA President. Platini seems very likely to cram the winter WC on the European leagues while Blatter has stayed quieter on this because he wants to win the election. Blatter has quietly buying the African region while Platini has bought Asia by supporting this winter WC. This election will likely be decided by UEFA and CONCACAF.

I think Blatter is more likely to take the WC from Qatar then Platini. Platini voted for Qatar I think he was bought, but sadly I want Blatter to win re-election as the devil you know is better than that fraud Frenchmen Platini.

UAE would have been the best Arab country to host the WC if FIFA wanted it in that scary region. Qatar 2022 is one WC I won't consider going to as I would never feel safe. Just give 2022 to Australia keep it in the Asian region and give the USA 2026 for our 250th anniversary as a country.
Sadly, there aren't much options... I would love to see China host one. I love it there and would go back in a heartbeat. Japan would be a good spot as well, Saudi wouldn't be bad. But I agree UAE would be the spot that makes the most sense.

Sadly, there aren't much options... I would love to see China host one. I love it there and would go back in a heartbeat. Japan would be a good spot as well, Saudi wouldn't be bad. But I agree UAE would be the spot that makes the most sense.
Japan Korea co-hosted 2002.

Japan just co hosted with South Korea.

As someone who has lived in Saudi Arabia and worked for the Saudi government, I can assure you that there is NO POSSIBLE WAY that KSA could ever successfully host the World Cup. None. Zilch. Nada. It would be a disaster. I assure you that it would be VERY bad.

As someone who has lived in Saudi Arabia and worked for the Saudi government, I can assure you that there is NO POSSIBLE WAY that KSA could ever successfully host the World Cup. None. Zilch. Nada. It would be a disaster. I assure you that it would be VERY bad.
Fill me in :)

Japan just co hosted with South Korea.
True. Before I watched soccer (2006 wc first time really). Thought it was just Korea! I want one in China, badly... Favourite country in the world to visit.

Yeah, the people in SA wouldn't allow the World into SA I would think. The people are very religious and FIFA having deals with Budweiser wouldn't sit well with the Saudi people. The Saudi government cracks down hard on its people. The only Mideast countries possible would be UAE or Algeria. Egypt no, Saudi no, Iraq no, Israel no, Syria no, Jordan, Qatar IMO no.

If the World Cup is moved from Qatar and stays in Asia the best country is Australia if not them then China.

Fill me in :)

For starters, Saudi doesn't give tourist visas. Entering the country has to be for business purposes or haj, the requisite Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca. That should tell you a bit about how welcoming the Saudis are to foreigners. They don't have the infrastructure to host WC games, and it's at least as hot as Qatar. FIFA has made it clear that the sale of beer is mandatory and there is NO WAY that KSA will allow that.

I found out where Bahrain was.

Looks kinda nice for a middle eastern country...

Anyone know anything about Bahrain? Sigh. These oil countries just should never be hosting a World Cup. Doesn't work!

I found out where Bahrain was.

Looks kinda nice for a middle eastern country...

Anyone know anything about Bahrain? Sigh. These oil countries just should never be hosting a World Cup. Doesn't work!
Bahrain is an island nation connected to Saudi Arabia by an expansive bridge. I was in Saudi during the Arab Spring, which included protests in the Bahraini capitol of Manama. The ruling family, the al Khalifas, forcibly quashed the uprising and the Saudis rolled tanks onto the causeway to ensure there was no spillover into the kingdom. This was a HUGE problem for the Saudi people because the weekend adventure of choice for many Saudis is to drive to Bahrain to binge drink and score chicks. Despite being guilty of numerous human rights violations, Bahrain remains a close US ally as it is the headquarters for the US Navy's fifth fleet. The word "Bahrain" means "two seas" in Arabic, though I don't know what two seas it refers to since it's right on the Persian Gulf. Several members of the al Khalifa family were in Syracuse a few weeks ago to compete in a triathlon.

The nearest country to the Middle East that I can picture being able to host a World Cup would be Turkey. That would be pretty cool. Istanbul is awesome.

Last edited:
Bahrain is an island nation connected to Saudi Arabia by an expansive bridge. I was in Saudi during the Arab Spring, which included protests in the Bahraini capitol of Manama. The ruling family, the al Khalifa's, forcibly quashed the uprising and the Saudis rolled tanks onto the causeway to ensure there was no spillover into the kingdom. This was a HUGE problem for the Saudi people because the weekend adventure of choice for many Saudis is to drive to Bahrain to binge drink and score chicks. Despite being guilty of numerous human rights violations, Bahrain remains a close US ally as it is the headquarters for the US Navy's fifth fleet. The word "Bahrain" means "two seas" in Arabic, though I don't know what two seas it refers to since it's right on the Persian Gulf. Several members of the al Khalifa family were in Syracuse a few weeks ago to compete in a triathlon.

The nearest country to the Middle East that I can picture being able to host a World Cup would be Turkey. That would be pretty cool. Istanbul is awesome.
Yeah I agree I wouldn't bring the World Cup to Algeria or UAE. Turkey is the best because the Turks want to be part of the EU and Ataturk really wanted Turkey to be Western. They hosted the Basketball World Championships in 2010 and they could host the World Cup IMO they are part of UEFA as well.

Bahrain is an island nation connected to Saudi Arabia by an expansive bridge. I was in Saudi during the Arab Spring, which included protests in the Bahraini capitol of Manama. The ruling family, the al Khalifas, forcibly quashed the uprising and the Saudis rolled tanks onto the causeway to ensure there was no spillover into the kingdom. This was a HUGE problem for the Saudi people because the weekend adventure of choice for many Saudis is to drive to Bahrain to binge drink and score chicks. Despite being guilty of numerous human rights violations, Bahrain remains a close US ally as it is the headquarters for the US Navy's fifth fleet. The word "Bahrain" means "two seas" in Arabic, though I don't know what two seas it refers to since it's right on the Persian Gulf. Several members of the al Khalifa family were in Syracuse a few weeks ago to compete in a triathlon.

Thanks!

Ive been to Istanbul once. Don't go out late at night...

One-sided love affairs seldom turn out well.
Do you even follow this? EU has accepted Turkey's application in 2005. Right now Turkey is a provisional member and becoming a full member takes about a decade to become fully integrated: Turkey needs to pass 33 of 35 EU standards right now Turkey has a couple of them to go and they should be EU members in the near future. Germany is a strong advocate for Turkey while France is their biggest opponent outside of Greece/Cyprus.
I follow this stuff closely it's not a 1 sided love affair. Having Turkey in the EU would both sides especially because of Turkey's relationship with the USA and NATO it may favor Turkey but its not 1 sided.

Do you even follow this? EU has accepted Turkey's application in 2005. Right now Turkey is a provisional member and becoming a full member takes about a decade to become fully integrated: Turkey needs to pass 33 of 35 EU standards right now Turkey has a couple of them to go and they should be EU members in the near future. Germany is a strong advocate for Turkey while France is their biggest opponent outside of Greece/Cyprus.
I follow this stuff closely it's not a 1 sided love affair. Having Turkey in the EU would both sides especially because of Turkey's relationship with the USA and NATO it may favor Turkey but its not 1 sided.

If France Is ones biggest opponent is the really any opposition at all?

Do you even follow this?
As someone from a country with a large Turkish population which has not integrated well and is responsible for much of the country's criminal activities, yes, I do follow this.

Do not confuse a re-opening of dialogue with a slam dunk admission. There's still a lot of work to be done.

The hype for Shaw is out of control.

Well, a big part of it is the EPL requirement that they have a certain number of home grown players on each club's roster. That's why English players generally are more expensive than they should be, relative to other talent in Europe.

France left super talented Samir Nasir from Man City off their team. Managers pick the best teams they can and chemistry matters. Klinsmann cut Donovan and he needs to and move on. Donovan's analysis this entire WC has been mediocre at best. Donovan was good in the past but he wants to continue this feud for no good reason IMO.

Yes, Donovan has come off as very whiny when he's been on screen. I'm glad they didn't feature him too heavily after the first couple US group games.