FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 75 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

2405222_full-lnd.jpg

Those dead eyes agree with you.

Golden Ball IMO should have gone to James Rodriguez.
That picture will induce night terrors.

Tough to judge Croatia as well since the refs did them dirty in 2 games.

Good call. Croatia should have made the knock out stage.

As for Golden Ball. I probably would have voted for Rodriguez myself, but I have no problem with Messi winning it.

Messi was the best player in the tournament, he just didn't accomplish the most, because his team did not put him in a position to succeed. Messi is so good (and Argentina had so many other problems) that Sabella decided to pull everyone but Messi back on defense, and hope to hold the other team scoreless while praying for Messi to deliver miracle goals.

It worked well for them, but its not a strategy that will make Messi look good. Imagine the Miami Heat deciding that James is so good that the other four players can stay on the defensive end of the court while James goes 1 on 5 offensively. Then someone notices that Durant is putting up better stats than LeBron. Of course Durant would put up better stats playing 5 on 5 than LeBron would 1 on 5.

As for Golden Ball. I probably would have voted for Rodriguez myself, but I have no problem with Messi winning it.

Messi was the best player in the tournament, he just didn't accomplish the most, because his team did not put him in a position to succeed. Messi is so good (and Argentina had so many other problems) that Sabella decided to pull everyone but Messi back on defense, and hope to hold the other team scoreless while praying for Messi to deliver miracle goals.

It worked well for them, but its not a strategy that will make Messi look good. Imagine the Miami Heat deciding that James is so good that the other four players can stay on the defensive end of the court while James goes 1 on 5 offensively. Then someone notices that Durant is putting up better stats than LeBron. Of course Durant would put up better stats playing 5 on 5 than LeBron would 1 on 5.
That free kick in the last seconds was very selfish by Messi. He was 35 yds away and should have crossed it in their was ZERO chance he was beating Neuer from that distance, and then he airmailed that kick by like 20 yards in the air.

Messi lost it for me when he hit that left footed shot from the left side of the box instead of switching to his right and putting on frame. The best player in the world looked incredibly one footed yesterday.

That free kick in the last seconds was very selfish by Messi. He was 35 yds away and should have crossed it in their was ZERO chance he was beating Neuer from that distance, and then he airmailed that kick by like 20 yards in the air.

You might be right, but players shoot from that distance all the time. Nobody else gets blamed for it.

In the end putting blame on Messi for not producing something there would be like blaming someone for losing the lottery. The odds were stacked against him, and a Germany win was pretty much inevitable.

I'd say there was just as good a chance that if he blasted it on goal they got something on the rebound as there was that Argentina (the shortest team in the tournament) were going to get something in the air against Germany (the tallest team in the tournament).

You might be right, but players shoot from that distance all the time. Nobody else gets blamed for it.

In the end putting blame on Messi for not producing something there would be like blaming someone for losing the lottery. The odds were stacked against him, and a Germany win was pretty much inevitable.

I'd say there was just as good a chance that if he blasted it on goal they got something on the rebound as there was that Argentina (the shortest team in the tournament) were going to get something in the air against Germany (the tallest team in the tournament).

IMO, you have to throw it in the mixer there and hope for a favorable bounce off your own player or a defender. Only thing you cannot do is airmail it out of play while going for glory.

ImperialOrange said:
I wasn't a fan either but read after the fact he could barely walk off the field. Guy was just gassed which makes it a bit more understandable. You found any number of Argentinian's doing the same until Germany scored.

Schweinsteiger is an awesome player and was outstanding in the final.

That said, he looks like a cross between Cobra Kai Johnny (from the Karate Kid for u millennials) and every punk JD/FM I ever played against.

That said, he looks like a cross between Cobra Kai Johnny (from the Karate Kid for u millennials) and every punk JD/FM I ever played against.

Sweep the leg! I made that reference Re: Vlaar leveling someone from Brazil on Saturday.

Golden ball is Rodriguez for me as well.

Not neur though, as some throughout the media are saying... A goalkeeper is never mvp. He got his award. I also thought Navas and Ochoa carried there teams but.....

Messi lost it for me when he hit that left footed shot from the left side of the box instead of switching to his right and putting on frame. The best player in the world looked incredibly one footed yesterday.
Credit Neuer a little bit. Argentina were trying to be too perfect/too precise. How else do you not get a shot on not one but two breakaways. I think Neuer got in Argentina's heads.

I don't know. If Messi dumps it in the box on that play, then critics say he didn't have the sac to the take the shot at the key moment. I thought Messi was superb -- maybe a little gassed, but superb. Funny, I was watching the BBC feed. They couldn't wait to say the result showed Messi will never be on the same level as Pele or Maradona. Hhhmmm.

I don't know. If Messi dumps it in the box on that play, then critics say he didn't have the sac to the take the shot at the key moment. I thought Messi was superb -- maybe a little gassed, but superb. Funny, I was watching the BBC feed. They couldn't wait to say the result showed Messi will never be on the same level as Pele or Maradona. Hhhmmm.

I kind of feel like Messi was trying to take his place amongst the football gods and a goal there would have done it. Kudos for going for it I suppose but I can see how it was viewed as selfish.

Don't you talk about J-D like that! F-M, that's fine but not the Red Rams.

Messi did more against the Germans than he did against the Dutch. My Oranje boys outscored South America 5-0 and only lost one game, in a penalty shoot-out. I hate those shoot-outs.

I'll see how much I'll be able to follow some of the national leagues, Euro qualifying and the Champions League. Combined with American football and life there simply isn't enough time. Perhaps some highlight shows will have to do.

"There is even a formal plan, Qatar National Vision 2030, which pledges that the country will become “an advanced society” within 16 years."

What a joke. They have a slave worker system and the building of World Cup structures has already killed thousands. They're trying to legitimize themselves through sport and it sickens me.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/15/s...ct-big-bankroll-and-imported-talent.html?_r=1

Article that was interesting. Qatar is really messed up they are buying African kids young, training them and plan on using them to play for them in 2022. FIFA is really corrupt they better crack down hard on Qatar and make them follow the rules.

Regardless of wheter intents are on the up and up, this will help these players and their families live a better life than they otherwise would. European clubs pluck young talent from all over the world into academies but I believe they have to be 15 or 16 years old if coming from a different country to England.

There was a bit of kick back with Messi as he joined Barca very young as well

"At the age of 11, Messi was diagnosed with a growth hormone deficiency.[19] Local team River Plate showed interest in Messi's progress, but were not willing to pay for treatment for his condition, which cost $900 a month.[13]Carles Rexach, the sporting director of FC Barcelona, was made aware of his talent as Messi had relatives in Lleida in western Catalonia, and Messi and his father were able to arrange a trial with the team.[13] Rexach, with no other paper at hand, offered Messi a contract written on a paper napkin.[20][21] Barcelona offered to pay Messi's medical bills on the condition that he moved to Spain. Messi and his father duly moved to Barcelona, where Messi enrolled in the club's youth academy.[17][21]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Messi

Where did you play? When?

Regardless of wheter intents are on the up and up, this will help these players and their families live a better life than they otherwise would. European clubs pluck young talent from all over the world into academies but I believe they have to be 15 or 16 years old if coming from a different country to England.

There was a bit of kick back with Messi as he joined Barca very young as well

"At the age of 11, Messi was diagnosed with a growth hormone deficiency.[19] Local team River Plate showed interest in Messi's progress, but were not willing to pay for treatment for his condition, which cost $900 a month.[13]Carles Rexach, the sporting director of FC Barcelona, was made aware of his talent as Messi had relatives in Lleida in western Catalonia, and Messi and his father were able to arrange a trial with the team.[13] Rexach, with no other paper at hand, offered Messi a contract written on a paper napkin.[20][21] Barcelona offered to pay Messi's medical bills on the condition that he moved to Spain. Messi and his father duly moved to Barcelona, where Messi enrolled in the club's youth academy.[17][21]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Messi
Right but Barcelona was given a transfer ban for the next two windows (currently under appeal) for doing this after FIFA caught them and cracked down.

There are a lot of rules on this and I don't know all of them

Qatar is going to lose the 2022 WC IMO. Budweiser, Sony, Visa, Adidas which pay about 120 millions dollar a year want FIFA to investigate Qatar 2022. Coca-Cola, Emirate Airlines give another 60 million a year and if they pressure FIFA Qatar is done. As I have been saying Australia 2022 and then USA 2026 are my predictions.

Right but Barcelona was given a transfer ban for the next two windows (currently under appeal) for doing this after FIFA caught them and cracked down.

There are a lot of rules on this and I don't know all of them

Think the current Barca issue deals with the transfer of Neymar, namely how much they paid for him, who all they paid for him, and how much they paid taxes on. They reportedly paid 48mil for him BUT sounds as though it was quite a bit more (72 mil) with under the table money or money to different parties. That got found out as well as them not paying taxes on the rest which started the current snowball rolling.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-repay-owed-taxes-Neymar-transfer-Santos.html

I'm not sure they ever had any issues dealing with Messi's transfer.

Diego Costa to Chelsea complete. I am shocked Atletico Madrid is selling him. I get they can't keep guys, but they should have won the La Liga/Champions League double last year. Now they lost Courteis and Costa to Chelsea(to be fair Courteis was on loan), David Villa and they will be lucky to finish 3rd next yeat in La Liga. Just shows how much better the Premiere League is.

Diego Costa to Chelsea complete. I am shocked Atletico Madrid is selling him. I get they can't keep guys, but they should have won the La Liga/Champions League double last year. Now they lost Courteis and Costa to Chelsea(to be fair Courteis was on loan), David Villa and they will be lucky to finish 3rd next yeat in La Liga. Just shows how much better the Premiere League is.

Atletico are a selling club (which is why they even had a keeper on loan) as are every team in La Liga not named Barca or Real. That's a huge chunk of money for them and good business selling a player on for 6x what they paid for him. They'll drop back a bit, rebuild, then sell again which will keep them financially solvent. Aside from the 2 giants, most Spanish clubs are not financially well off.

Still a little shocked Messi won the Player of the Tournament. FWIW, Manuel Neuer completed more passes during the World Cup than Messi did.

The player of the tournament is sponsored by Adidas, which probably had a hand in it. I would have given it to Arjen, I thought he looked dangerous all tournament.

I think the issue with Messi though is that he is so excellent, that when he is only "very good" people get disappointed. If it was anyone else that had his performance this year, people would be talking about a $70 million transfer to a mega-club, but for him, it was just a little pedestrian.