FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 84 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

Anyone else signing up for the espn fantasy epl league? I feel like maybe I picked the wrong group since there are only 2 signed up.

Costa/Lukaku/Didier is a great striking force but Imperial is right about Torres. They can't move him because of his weekly wages. It's going to take something creative or a miracle offer to get rid of him. Or maybe he'll take less to return to Atletico. That's probably the best play for him in the end.

Atletico has reportedly offered around 12-13M because of the cost of his wages. Chelsea want 20M and Torres won't drop his salary. Monaco is likely to let Falcao go (which to me means they don't trust his return to fitness from the ACL injury, coupled with the fact that he was said to be unimpressed with the quality of Ligue Un). If Falcao leaves, then they have a need for Torres, who has continued to score fairly well in Europe these past few seasons, despite his failures in the Premier League. I could see him succeeding in Spain or Italy, for sure, especially Italy, where he would seem like a faster player again, relatively speaking.

International > Club.

Eh, not really. When the best players in the world play on teams who don't usually compete for international championships, it tells you something about each. I don't think there's any question that club ball is played at a higher level because of how much more players get to practice and play together. Your sense of nationalism might make you think it's more exciting, but the quality of play is not as uniform. It's not a coincidence that Spain and Germany each have had national rosters that were comprised of at least half of their starters from the same club team. The teamwork was pre-built. That's what hinders England - their domestic league has become an all-star league, while most other leagues are still strongly reflective of the local nationality. Maybe Italy is the next most "international" league - and Italian football is suffering a bit, as well.

Atletico has reportedly offered around 12-13M because of the cost of his wages. Chelsea want 20M and Torres won't drop his salary. Monaco is likely to let Falcao go (which to me means they don't trust his return to fitness from the ACL injury, coupled with the fact that he was said to be unimpressed with the quality of Ligue Un). If Falcao leaves, then they have a need for Torres, who has continued to score fairly well in Europe these past few seasons, despite his failures in the Premier League. I could see him succeeding in Spain or Italy, for sure, especially Italy, where he would seem like a faster player again, relatively speaking.
Torres would be a beast in Italy.

MLS team finally beat a Premiere League team. Red Bulls beat Arsenal 1-0. Gideon Zelalem played for Arsenal didn't really stick out.
EPL is 5-1-2 against MLS, but the results really don't matter and as EPL squads aren't playing their A teams and a lot of MLS squads aren't either.

Is Brad Friedel really going to be Tottenham's No. 1, or is he just playing because it's meaningless preseason and he's American?

Is Brad Friedel really going to be Tottenham's No. 1, or is he just playing because it's meaningless preseason and he's American?
They signed a keeper this week. Friedel will be lucky to be #2. Tottenham has one of the top 10 GKs in the world France #1 GK Hugo Lloris.

I think Spurs are giving Friedel a going away gift letting him play in their matches in the USA. Friedel may up end Tottenham's 3rd keeper.

They signed a keeper this week. Friedel will be lucky to be #2. Tottenham has one of the top 10 GKs in the world France #1 GK Hugo Lloris.

I think Spurs are giving Friedel a going away gift letting him play in their matches in the USA. Friedel may up end Tottenham's 3rd keeper.
Thanks. Hard to believe that he could be the starter of a top-flight EPL squad at this stage of his career. Dude has been a solid keeper for a long time though.

He lost his starting job to Hugo Lloris about a year and a half ago, when AVB was still the coach. Now Spurs are bringing in another keeper, so at 43 years old, Friedel is likely to retire soon and go into announcing, I'd bet.

He lost his starting job to Hugo Lloris about a year and a half ago, when AVB was still the coach. Now Spurs are bringing in another keeper, so at 43 years old, Friedel is likely to retire soon and go into announcing, I'd bet.
Friedel is a club ambassador for Spurs and it working on getting his coaching badges. He's going to be 3rd keeper as we want to have two sweepers back there, Lloris will start most Premier League matches and Vorm will be the keeper in cup games.

Lloris/Vorm still haven't reported back because they get their World Cup break. They're back in training on Monday. Friedel isn't going to play this season, might not have even started in this tour if Jordan Archer didn't get sick on the first day they got here.

Eh, not really. When the best players in the world play on teams who don't usually compete for international championships, it tells you something about each. I don't think there's any question that club ball is played at a higher level because of how much more players get to practice and play together. Your sense of nationalism might make you think it's more exciting, but the quality of play is not as uniform. It's not a coincidence that Spain and Germany each have had national rosters that were comprised of at least half of their starters from the same club team. The teamwork was pre-built. That's what hinders England - their domestic league has become an all-star league, while most other leagues are still strongly reflective of the local nationality. Maybe Italy is the next most "international" league - and Italian football is suffering a bit, as well.
Agreed. The stakes/emotions are higher at the international level but quality of play is better in the leagues with the Champions League best of them all. Sir Alex is right. There hasn't been a great WC since 1986. Quality just isn't there. If you backed out the emotions and just focussed on the teams, some of the WC games would be unwatchable.

Last edited:
Torres would be a beast in Italy.
He needs a new challenge. He won over the Chelsea fans a few years ago because his work rate was so high. He was struggling to score but you could see him working hard to track back/close down. That didn't happen last year. He was in and out mentally. He put on a superb performance at Spurs that I thought would kick start his season (even though he was unjustly sent off) but that was followed by a series of appearances where you wouldn't even know he was there. Best outcome: He goes and Lukaku mends fences with the gaffer and stays.

He needs a new challenge. He won over the Chelsea fans a few years ago because his work rate was so high. He was struggling to score but you could see him working hard to track back/close down. That didn't happen last year. He was in and out mentally. He put on a superb performance at Spurs that I thought would kick start his season (even though he was unjustly sent off) but that was followed by a series of appearances where you wouldn't even know he was there. Best outcome: He goes and Lukaku mends fences with the gaffer and stays.

MOURINHO thinks Lukaku is a baby who doesn't want any competition for his spot. I doubt he,'ll stay. With Real expressing into e rest, they may get their 31M for him.

He never won over this fan. He's been rubbish since his last year or two at Anfield.

Di Maria may be headed to PSG for as I said before Madrid is loaned with offensive talent and he is probably behind Benzema, Ronaldo, James Rodriguez, Bale.

Liverpool still need a left back and a holding midfielder.

Enrique is back fit, and looking good. If he slots @ LB then we can move Flanno over to his natural RB spot. I believe Can will be used as a holding mid when Lallana comes back.

Honestly, we're building something longer term. Hopefully it keeps us top 4 this season but if Chelsea and City aren't 1 and 2 this season I'll be surprised. Chelsea have addressed their needs with Costa and Cesc and I can't see a weakness in their squad if they are finding goals.

Remy to Liverpool off after a failed medical but Lovren to Liverpool completed.

Liverpool still need a left back and a holding midfielder. And they will need someone up front with some pizzazz. Remy would have been OK, but 20M for Bony is too much. Missing Alexis Sanchez hurt them. He would have been just what they needed.