FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 85 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

Honestly, we're building something longer term. Hopefully it keeps us top 4 this season but if Chelsea and City aren't 1 and 2 this season I'll be surprised. Chelsea have addressed their needs with Costa and Cesc and I can't see a weakness in their squad if they are finding goals.
\

City is still a far deeper squad than Chelsea. Chelsea need one more striker and if they are getting rid of Mikel, they will need to replace him. Van Ginkel, Ramires and Oriol Romeu can't be your only cover at holding mid behind Matic.

Chelsea have to be the favorites. I think Man United looks good for a top 4 finisher right now. City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham, Everton in contention as well.

\

City is still a far deeper squad than Chelsea. Chelsea need one more striker and if they are getting rid of Mikel, they will need to replace him. Van Ginkel, Ramires and Oriol Romeu can't be your only cover at holding mid behind Matic.

Deeper maybe but starting 11 v starting 11 I'd take Chelsea. I think Schurrle is finally turning into the player they thought he would be in addition to Costa, and Cesc coming in.

Chelsea have to be the favorites. I think Man United looks good for a top 4 finisher right now. City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham, Everton in contention as well.

I keep hearing that but what have they done to warrent such accolades? They added a LB, lost their RB, and added a mid from La Liga that will take time to adjust. They are getting stonewalled by high price tags on every other move they try and make and still need midfielders as well as central defenders.

Liverpool still need a left back and a holding midfielder. And they will need someone up front with some pizzazz. Remy would have been OK, but 20M for Bony is too much. Missing Alexis Sanchez hurt them. He would have been just what they needed.

We don't need either to the point of over paying or reaching at this point. Would be nice to have but I think we have a roster capable of netting top 4 once again. Anything we do in CL would be a bonus as I don't think we have the pieces to compete there yet.

Seems like we're not after Bony and while Remy would've been nice he would've been a short term fix. Sanchez wouldve been great in our system but only wanted to play in London. Can't say lack of effort on our part there. We seem to be waiting forever on Shaqiri but aside from him I'm not sure there are any realistic attacking players that we should be after.

Hopefully, with squad depth sorted, we can sit back and focus on top level signings similar to what Chelsea are now doing. I think we may have another signing or 2 before the season but doubt they'll be major headliners.

I keep hearing that but what have they done to warrent such accolades? They added a LB, lost their RB, and added a mid from La Liga that will take time to adjust. They are getting stonewalled by high price tags on every other move they try and make and still need midfielders as well as central defenders.

Dumbest thing they've done is tell everyone they have record amounts of money to spend to build a squad. They need to hurry the hell up about it. My next move would be to throw big money at Arturo Vidal of Juve. He's their key to the upcoming season, along with an excellent central defender like Mats Hummels of Dortmund. They need to throw serious bids out there for both guys. If they can't bring in a couple guys of that caliber, and then a couple more squad players in those positions, they can forget about competing for the championship; they'll be playing for 4th place. Excellent attacking talent that I believe will gel this year, but the midfield is weak and the defense is thin.

Last edited:
Melo and Don Draper meet the Galacticos:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...tar-Carmelo-Anthony-joins-Real-Madrid-LA.html

We don't need either to the point of over paying or reaching at this point. Would be nice to have but I think we have a roster capable of netting top 4 once again. Anything we do in CL would be a bonus as I don't think we have the pieces to compete there yet.

Seems like we're not after Bony and while Remy would've been nice he would've been a short term fix. Sanchez wouldve been great in our system but only wanted to play in London. Can't say lack of effort on our part there. We seem to be waiting forever on Shaqiri but aside from him I'm not sure there are any realistic attacking players that we should be after.

Hopefully, with squad depth sorted, we can sit back and focus on top level signings similar to what Chelsea are now doing. I think we may have another signing or 2 before the season but doubt they'll be major headliners.

I think that psychologically they need one more marquee signing for the attack to replace Suarez. And they still need defensive re-enforcements. Emre Can does not impress me as a holding midfield option.

Dumbest thing they've done is tell everyone they have record amounts of money to spend to build a squad. They need to hurry the hell up about it. My next move would be to throw big money at Arturo Vidal of Juve. He's their key to the upcoming season, along with an excellent central defender like Mats Hummels of Dortmund. They need to throw serious bids out there for both guys. If they can't bring in a couple guys of that caliber, and then a couple more squad players in those positions, they can forget about competing for the championship; they'll be playing for 4th place. Excellent attacking talent that I believe will get this year, but the midfield is weak and the defense is thin.
David Moyes was the 2012 version of Bobby Valentine for the Red Sox. Everything that could go wrong when went for the Devils. I think they bounce back with Van Gaal don't think they are better than Chelsea or City, but they should finish 3rd-5th.

David Moyes was the 2012 version of Bobby Valentine for the Red Sox. Everything that could go wrong when went for the Devils. I think they bounce back with Van Gaal don't think they are better than Chelsea or City, but they should finish 3rd-5th.

I agree. Van Gaal has already re-instilled discipline and belief. His gimmicky (for England) 3 at the back defense is a good way to shore up his midfield, by playing 5 there to make up for their individual shortcomings. Against an Italian team, where 3 at the back is not so unusual, they didn't dominate like they did against LA. I think they desperately need two or three players. If they get those, they will be in the hunt.

So far, looking at all the contenders in pre-season, I think City are still the favorites. They will continue to steamroller lesser competition and will have more "easy" wins that Chelsea or the other contenders, IMO. I like Chelsea right now for 2nd, with a chance at winning the league, but Costa has to stay healthy.

I think Chelsea will sell Torres and Mikel, and they will sign one more striker and maybe Ezequiel Lavezzi, who would be great to have to keep a fire lit under Hazard. He and Oscar would have no time to play lazy or bow out of a game, if you have Cesc to take Oscar's spot and Lavezzi to take over for Hazard. It's too bad that Lukaku is so weak mentally and such a baby about competing for his place in the lineup. He would finish Chelsea nicely, but he isn't long for the club. I like that Drogba is back, but only as my third striker, not my second. I don't see him playing 90 minutes for several games in a row if Costa were to get injured. Drogba would be a great situational sub to change a game with 20 minutes to go, to come in and bully a tired back line.

I think Arsenal are going to start slowly. They looked a bit disjointed, although they were missing 5 World Cup players. They're not as deep as they could be, though. Lots of players in midfield, could use another striker, a holding midfielder (Schneiderlin?) and another central defender.

Spurs haven't done anything and are going to be mid-table. I don't think Everton have the cash to buy Lukaku and without him they will take a step back. They had an almost perfect season last year, but didn't have to play in Europe. Europa League trips are going to wear on their squad this year. I see them falling back to around 7th or 8th place.

Right now, with no more roster changes, I would say:

1. Man City
2. Chelsea
3. Arsenal
4. Man United
5. Liverpool

Dumbest thing they've done is tell everyone they have record amounts of money to spend to build a squad. They need to hurry the hell up about it. My next move would be to throw big money at Arturo Vidal of Juve. He's their key to the upcoming season, along with an excellent central defender like Mats Hummels of Dortmund. They need to throw serious bids out there for both guys. If they can't bring in a couple guys of that caliber, and then a couple more squad players in those positions, they can forget about competing for the championship; they'll be playing for 4th place. Excellent attacking talent that I believe will get this year, but the midfield is weak and the defense is thin.

Said the exact same thing. I'm not sure Dortmund will let Hummels go and they need to get Vidal done but Juve want 40+ mil for him which is result of them telling the world they had money to spend. Latest I saw, which was a hilarious you to them, was Roma telling them Strootman was only avail for 79 mil. Teams don't want to work with them and players they have agreed on are holding them hostage over wages ie Khedira.

They need to sign impact players but they will be paying well over the odds if they get any of the calibre they need. Aside from that Rooney and RVP are great talents that don't appear to play well together. Both are more effective when the other isn't on the pitch which is bizarre.

I think that psychologically they need one more marquee signing for the attack to replace Suarez. And they still need defensive re-enforcements. Emre Can does not impress me as a holding midfield option.

Far enough, but what marquee signings are out there to be had? The signing I want isn't happening because Dortmund aren't selling.

Gerrard as a holding midfielder is unique to us but if he's not avail we could always invert the midfield 3 and have henderson and can/lallana etc play deeper with Countinho central and advanced. Not sure there is a like for like player to be had in Gerrard's role.

Far enough, but what marquee signings are out there to be had? The signing I want isn't happening because Dortmund aren't selling.

Gerrard as a holding midfielder is unique to us but if he's not avail we could always invert the midfield 3 and have henderson and can/lallana etc play deeper with Countinho central and advanced. Not sure there is a like for like player to be had in Gerrard's role.

PSG was trying to get Angel De Maria from Real. He's talking about United now, but I just don't see the fit there; they have so many good attacking midfielders. I think he would be a great fit at Liverpool, like what Ozil did for Arsenal last season (at least until he wore out down the stretch). Or if DeMaria can work a deal to go to PSG, then that will free up someone like Edinson Cavani, who would again be a real gem for Liverpool.

Balotelli is probably available, and is a great talent, but I don't think Rogers would deal with all the bull. Or they could make a move for Gervinho, who has really improved his game in Italy and looked pretty good in the World Cup.

They need a guy like that, of obvious elite class (altho that's a bit of a stretch for Gervinho). These little guys like Coutinho and Sterling are very good players, but they need some more help. Rogers has added a lot of solid squad players, but he needs another elite guy or two for them to truly challenge.

Fabregas was one of the few players I really disliked when he was in the EPL. Ever since the shoving match that he was involved in against Lampard a few years back. He seems like a little punk.

Fabregas was one of the few players I really disliked when he was in the EPL. Ever since the shoving match that he was involved in against Lampard a few years back. He seems like a little punk.

As the saying goes, "he's OUR punk now." That was a great pass to Costa for that goal. Great start. He's exactly what we need; someone who has succeeded at a very high level, won several championships, knows how to play in the crappy English weather and not be a baby about it. (Looking at you, Oscar ...)

Said the exact same thing. I'm not sure Dortmund will let Hummels go and they need to get Vidal done but Juve want 40+ mil for him which is result of them telling the world they had money to spend. Latest I saw, which was a hilarious you to them, was Roma telling them Strootman was only avail for 79 mil. Teams don't want to work with them and players they have agreed on are holding them hostage over wages ie Khedira.

They need to sign impact players but they will be paying well over the odds if they get any of the calibre they need. Aside from that Rooney and RVP are great talents that don't appear to play well together. Both are more effective when the other isn't on the pitch which is bizarre.

Oh, just wait until Van Gaal has to pick a captain. He has to sign another big player JUST for that reason - to avoid giving it to either "teacher's pet" Van Persie or "just got a huge raise" Rooney.

PSG was trying to get Angel De Maria from Real. He's talking about United now, but I just don't see the fit there; they have so many good attacking midfielders. I think he would be a great fit at Liverpool, like what Ozil did for Arsenal last season (at least until he wore out down the stretch). Or if DeMaria can work a deal to go to PSG, then that will free up someone like Edinson Cavani, who would again be a real gem for Liverpool.

Balotelli is probably available, and is a great talent, but I don't think Rogers would deal with all the bull. Or they could make a move for Gervinho, who has really improved his game in Italy and looked pretty good in the World Cup.

They need a guy like that, of obvious elite class (altho that's a bit of a stretch for Gervinho). These little guys like Coutinho and Sterling are very good players, but they need some more help. Rogers has added a lot of solid squad players, but he needs another elite guy or two for them to truly challenge.

How many "elite players" does a team need to peg a top 4 finish? Yes we lost Saurez but as has been documented, he never really did much vs the top sides. Sturridge has played well with or without him and is a proven commodity. If you play him in the center, sterling on the right and markovic/lallana/? on the left we should be ok finding goals.

If we were to sign Balotelli we'd have to revert back to the 4-4-2 formation and doesn't seem BR favors that. 4-3-3 w/ Sanchez/Sturridge/Sterling would've been sublime but we missed out. Suppose Shaqiri could be the guy but seems to favor a Bayern stay and Reus isn't moving although I'd love to see us bid 50 mil for him and see what happens. Gervinho... no thanks. Playing well now but we've seen him struggle in the PL.

Di Maria is a good player but not sure how he'd hold up in the PL and what he offers that we don't already have covered. If you don't rate Sterling or Coutinho suppose you'd see that differently but I think Sterling will take the next step.

Time will tell but it's not as if the cupboards were bare to begin with.

How many "elite players" does a team need to peg a top 4 finish? Yes we lost Saurez but as has been documented, he never really did much vs the top sides. Sturridge has played well with or without him and is a proven commodity. If you play him in the center, sterling on the right and markovic/lallana/? on the left we should be ok finding goals.

If we were to sign Balotelli we'd have to revert back to the 4-4-2 formation and doesn't seem BR favors that. 4-3-3 w/ Sanchez/Sturridge/Sterling would've been sublime but we missed out. Suppose Shaqiri could be the guy but seems to favor a Bayern stay and Reus isn't moving although I'd love to see us bid 50 mil for him and see what happens. Gervinho... no thanks. Playing well now but we've seen him struggle in the PL.

Di Maria is a good player but not sure how he'd hold up in the PL and what he offers that we don't already have covered. If you don't rate Sterling or Coutinho suppose you'd see that differently but I think Sterling will take the next step.

Time will tell but it's not as if the cupboards were bare to begin with.

Oh, I think Sterling and Coutinho are good players; I'm just afraid of you having too many frail attacking players who can get pushed off the ball, and who tend to get hurt. Yes, you can put out a very good attacking side with Sturridge as the front man and those other guys playing off him. I think Ricky Lambert was a good pick-up, I like Lallana on the wing. If I were Liverpool, I would want a couple more "star men". You have a lot of cogs. You need a couple guys who can give you that spark.

I guess my point is that Arsenal and Tottenham are a couple teams that loaded up on squad players in the past couple off-seasons, but it wasn't until Arsenal added Ozil that they sparked. Spurs failed to add that one star man (they thought Soldado could be that guy) among their 7 new faces last year, and it didn't catch, didn't mesh, because they lacked a focal point.

Oh, I think Sterling and Coutinho are good players; I'm just afraid of you having too many frail attacking players who can get pushed off the ball, and who tend to get hurt. Yes, you can put out a very good attacking side with Sturridge as the front man and those other guys playing off him. I think Ricky Lambert was a good pick-up, I like Lallana on the wing. If I were Liverpool, I would want a couple more "star men". You have a lot of cogs. You need a couple guys who can give you that spark.

I guess my point is that Arsenal and Tottenham are a couple teams that loaded up on squad players in the past couple off-seasons, but it wasn't until Arsenal added Ozil that they sparked. Spurs failed to add that one star man (they thought Soldado could be that guy) among their 7 new faces last year, and it didn't catch, didn't mesh, because they lacked a focal point.

I think that'll be work for later transfer windows to be honest. We lost 1 (admittedly big) piece from a starting 11 that finished 2nd so it's not as if we're building from 6th and trying to break in to the top 4. We needed to build our squad first and foremost which is what we've done. What we lacked last year were spark players to change a game and with Lallana, Markovic, and Lambert we've at least accomplished that. Even if they aren't spectacular the Southampton boys give us PL proven and allow us to give different looks.

The opposite would've been to spend big on a few "star men" which would've left us thin in the squad and been far from gaurentees anyway. As has been seen, that is what got Man U into their current standing (swing and miss on big money players). Obviously if they do actually complete some signings that changes things but until they do who of them, spurs, or everton look set to push us out of the top 4?

I wouldn't mind Balotelli but aside from him I don't see Di Maria as a need or any other attainable big names that we should be after.

Jay Rodriguez/Morgan Schneiderlin to Spurs, can't wait to see how much the cost was, Levy definitely got a deal.

have they been confirmed? Jay Rod is out injured until October and Schneiderlin is one that I thought Man U would be after as well.

have they been confirmed? Jay Rod is out injured until October and Schneiderlin is one that I thought Man U would be after as well.
Jay Rod's injured but I'm ok with that, we can deal with Lennon/Chadli/Townsend on the left (or Eriksen) until he's healthy. Schneiderlin followed Spurs on Twitter and then unfollowed them last week, and definitely loves Poch as a coach. A Southampton journalist broke the news so I believe it more than if a Spurs journalist broke it.

And Calum Chambers has joined Arsenal. There goes my one bargain fantasy player Oh Lord. Dude is beyond Luke Shaw and probably cost a fraction of what Manchester United payed for him.

And Southampton's 11 from last year got absolutely picked apart this summer.

Last edited:
And Callum Chambers has joined Arsenal. There goes my one bargain fantasy player Oh Lord. Dude is beyond Luke Shaw and probably cost a fraction of what Manchester United payed for him.

And Southampton's 11 from last year got absolutely picked apart this summer.
Chambers cost Arsenal 16 million pounds. Not cheap at all. And definitely not better than Shaw (although they're both over rated). I'd expect to see the exodus continue as well.