Fifteen teams on NET Top 40 lost their first game. | Syracusefan.com

Fifteen teams on NET Top 40 lost their first game.

So I agree the NET is trash. But I don’t think the first round results and there being upsets really is evidence of that.

I mean, there are upsets literally every year. There were upsets before the NET. If the NCAA came up with a perfect computer ranking system there would still be upsets and highly rated teams knocked off.

It’s a single elimination tournament on neutral sites with a bunch of 18-22 year olds. It’s a very unpredictable (but awesome) way to crown a champion with very random results.

Not to mention only 32 teams make the 2nd round, so of course there would be top 40 NET teams that didn’t make it.

It is clear that NET is a bad ranking tool. So many upsets on the first round of NCAA tournament.
Do you have a link to the article. I'm wondering how the committee correlated NET to the actual seedings. Did they mess that part of it up. For example, I picked Duquense, JMU and GCU to win as 11 and 12 seeds and to me they weren't upsets. Just teams playing better ball with favorable matchups. Same with picking NC State and a couple 9 seeds.

And with Samford, who I didn't pick in my bracket, but took with the points to win.

The one I missed out badly on was McNeese St to win with the points. Thought I had a chance.

Last edited:
the issue with seeing is it's based on how they played all year, not so much on how they are playing to win, the whole key to picking the winners is based on figuring that out.

how did the teams do vs the spread is the real upset question

Do you have a link to the article. I'm wondering how the committee correlated NET to the actual seedings. Did they mess that part of it up. For example, I picked Duquense, JMU and GCU to win as 11 and 12 seeds and to me they weren't upsets. Just teams playing better ball with favorable matchups. Same with picking NC State and a couple 9 seeds.

And with Samford, who I didn't pick in my bracket, but took with the points to win.

The one I missed out badly on was McNeese St to win with the points. Thought I had a chance.
Maybe they need to go back to how a team is playing at the end of the year, and not just the entire year.
Especially now with the portal, it takes an almost entire new team time to jell.

Maybe they need to go back to how a team is playing at the end of the year, and not just the entire year.
Especially now with the portal, it takes an almost entire new team time to jell.
100% this

Not sure why you would just ignore last ten

It can be used as one tool along with others to help determine inclusion and seeding

100% this

Not sure why you would just ignore last ten

It can be used as one tool along with others to help determine inclusion and seeding.
If you weigh the last 10 then it diminishes the previous 20. Syracuse started 25-0 and completely broke down the last 10 yet still got a favorable seed.

Personally if we’re arguing if it was between Pitt and Virginia entering the tournament, they both stunk, who cares what their last 10 games were, both teams stunk.

If you weigh the last 10 then it diminishes the previous 20. Syracuse started 25-0 and completely broke down the last 10 yet still got a favorable seed.

Personally if we’re arguing if it was between Pitt and Virginia entering the tournament, they both stunk, who cares what their last 10 games were, both teams stunk.
No it doesn't

You include it as part of other metrics

Road record
OOC record
SOS
Etc etc etc

I posted in another thread

Virginia started off averaging 70ppg and beat Florida, Cuse, Texas A+M, and lost to Wisconsin

Their next 10 they averaged like 64ppg but we're still 19-5.

Then the wheels fell off end of year where they averaged like 60ppg and lost more than they won.

It is all part of the totality of the teams resume

No it doesn't

You include it as part of other metrics

Road record
OOC record
SOS
Etc etc etc

I posted in another thread

Virginia started off averaging 70ppg and beat Florida, Cuse, Texas A+M, and lost to Wisconsin

Their next 10 they averaged like 64ppg but we're still 19-5.

Then the wheels fell off end of year where they averaged like 60ppg and lost more than they won.

It is all part of the totality of the teams resume
Ok, but if game 1 is equal to game 25, you’re using a metric that is taking away from game 1 and weighing it heavier than game 25. That’s just dumb, remove 10 games from the schedule then.

Ok, but if game 1 is equal to game 25, you’re using a metric that is taking away from game 1 and weighing it heavier than game 25. That’s just dumb, remove 10 games from the schedule then.
You enter the tournament with the current team which can be very different then the start of the year.
So the end of the year should have a higher factor then the beginning.

You enter the tournament with the current team which can be very different then the start of the year.
So the end of the year should have a higher factor then the beginning.
So the first part of the season should be exhibitions?

Do all teams in a league have the last 10 game schedule?j

Teams with a softer end of conference schedule should be rewarded?

How you're playing late is not always an indicator to how you will play in a post-season tournament. A couple of obvious examples this season--NC State on a 4-game losing streak before winning the ACCT. Long Beach on a five-game downer before winning their tournament. Alternately, Auburn dominating the SECT, then laying an egg in the first round of the NCAAs.

The point being--in the world of college BB, things often change radically from one week to the next.

Anything can happen in single elimination. Do you really believe that every team that won in the first round was a better team than the loser? Come on

Anything can happen in single elimination. Do you really believe that every team that won in the first round was a better team than the loser? Come on
It doesn't matter if they are better 4 out of 7, or whatever, the glory of March Madness is that it quickly turns into March Mayhem for some teams.

I for one think Yale is far better than Auburn. Unfortunately my bracket thought Auburn was going to with the championship.

How you're playing late is not always an indicator to how you will play in a post-season tournament. A couple of obvious examples this season--NC State on a 4-game losing streak before winning the ACCT. Long Beach on a five-game downer before winning their tournament. Alternately, Auburn dominating the SECT, then laying an egg in the first round of the NCAAs.

The point being--in the world of college BB, things often change radically from one week to the next.
Hell Long Beach had a lame duck coach.

If one team gets upset, is an upset.

If almost half of the teams the NET thinks are the best in the country lose to "inferior" teams, it's a trend.

And it's a huge data point that the NET isn't very good.

It's always been not very good, we just weren't good enough to be upset about it until this year.

Six years of at times ridiculous results and it still really hasn't come under fire the way you would expect.

Probably ESPN is making extra money because of the NET, and they drive almost all sports "controversy" in America.

No ESPN banging the drum, no national conversation.

Hopefully he has his team ready to go up against a Big 12 team today, one that would have gotten in regardless. But I’m sure their coach isn’t happy about another coach calling out his league.

Hopefully he has his team ready to go up against a Big 12 team today, one that would have gotten in regardless. But I’m sure their coach isn’t happy about another coach calling out his league.
Just spitting facts

100% agree! Still could be used as bulletin board material for Baylor
Yeah I don’t think Baylor or any other team needs any extra motivation to play in the NCAA tournament.Brownell is just telling like it is, wish the ACC would of done the same thing.

That was over 10+ years ago before NIL and Portal. Apples to Oranges.

Yeah I wouldnt point to opening round.

I WOULD point to overall conf success as the NET is so much based on Conf's early season OOC success which then leads to skewing the ratings based on them beating each other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom