Final Four this year... | Syracusefan.com

Final Four this year...

cto

Administrator
The way things are going (two-three major upsets every night), the Final Four this year will be some combo of St. Louis, Gonzaga, KSU, Memphis, Miami and Akron (or some combo that looks equally as odd).

Just wait: No #1 seed will get there. The D-1 landscape makes absolutely no sense this year. We, even with all our recent woes, have as good a chance as anyone. Or, any team could lose in the first or second round.

The way things are going (two-three major upsets every night), the Final Four this year will be some combo of St. Louis, Gonzaga, KSU, Memphis, Miami and Akron (or some combo that looks equally as odd).

Just wait: No #1 seed will get there. The D-1 landscape makes absolutely no sense this year. We, even with all our recent woes, have as good a chance as anyone. Or, any team could lose in the first or second round.
not to be a jerk but you say no #1 seeds but listed two teams that are currently #1 seeds on most sites

not to be a jerk but you say no #1 seeds but listed two teams that are currently #1 seeds on most sites
That'll change. It changes every week. And pre-season... who picked Miami and Gonzaga to be where they are today? Which is my point. Just a nutty year.

Most wide open field I can remember. As many have said, no great team this year. And numerous top 20 teams have lost to far worse teams than we have this year. Michigan just lost to a team which had not won a game in conference all year. We just lost to a team that has now won 10 straight in the Big East and to another team that has won 24 in a row at home. Hardly comparable to Michigan losing to Penn State or Kansas losing to TCU.

This nutty year is the result of the one-and-done rule forcing college basketball to trade high quality play for drama. I can't remember a year when the quality of play was so poor across the board, especially on offense. Combine that with clutching, grabbing, hand-checking, pushing and shoving that passes for good defense and what results is the drama that any team can win or lose on any given day or night. Me, I'd rather have 4-6 great teams going at it for the championship than 20-25 mediocre ones fighting it out.

Remember back in the day when Southerland returned and we were all talking about hotels in Atlanta? And then we hit our skid. We have 3 important games coming up (yes, even DePaul!). I tuned into the Minnesota/Indiana game and the big storyline was that the fans and team were convinced they could beat Indiana. And they did! So, let's imagine the storyline that we win the next 3 games. It is as possible as anything else this crazy season. I'm a great believer in "if you build it, they will come," and I'd rather look the fool than play the cynic. Let's go, Orange!

I love it. The tournament is going to be the wildest one yet.

Marsh, in real time while I was "liking" your post about not giving up on the team, you were liking my post above. Ha ha! WE CAN DO THIS!

I agree with cto on this one. Wildest year for college basketball I can remember. I have no idea who is going to get to the Final Four.

With the owl avatar and the wisdom of this post, I was reminded of this classic commercial.

Since we're not going to be a #1 seed this year ... I'd like to see a #16 seed knock somebody off.

Bingo. Gonzaga doesn't play anyone so they'll be a #1 seed... and im very interested in what odds I could get on the #16 that plays them in the first round.

Bingo. Gonzaga doesn't play anyone so they'll be a #1 seed... and im very interested in what odds I could get on the #16 that plays them in the first round.

Gonzaga is the real deal. This is by far mark fews best team. Dont let the conference thing sway you. Ive watched 10 of their games and they can score points. Elias harris and kelly olynk would start for us right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on what we ave seen in the past few weeks, Please list the teams in the country you would predict to do as well as Gonzaga in the following road slate:

Washington State
Oklahoma State
Butler
St. Marys
BYU
Santa Clara

Gonzaga lost once, and they were jobbed by the refs on the last play against Butler.

The following is a list of the teams I think would not lose a single time to the above teams on the road:

This nutty year is the result of the one-and-done rule forcing college basketball to trade high quality play for drama. I can't remember a year when the quality of play was so poor across the board, especially on offense. Combine that with clutching, grabbing, hand-checking, pushing and shoving that passes for good defense and what results is the drama that any team can win or lose on any given day or night. Me, I'd rather have 4-6 great teams going at it for the championship than 20-25 mediocre ones fighting it out.
The one and done rule is the reason for poor offense?

Gonzaga has a lot more opportunity to receive bad losses on tje road, yet they win EVERY one. No TCU, Penn St, Florida gulf Coast, Wake Forest, or South Florida losses on their resume. Power Conference Teams face only a few bad teams on the road yet as can be seen above lose with some frequency You would look it as a less sucky schedule. I would say it avoided them some bad losses.

At the end of the day, Gonzaga road performance earned them a 1 seed.

Gonzaga is the real deal. This is by far mark fews best team. Dont let the conference thing sway you. Ive watched 10 of their games and they can score points. Elias harris and kelly olynk would start for us right now.

Obviouly I would defer to your vast knowledge of hoops since I'm not sure anyone watches quite as much as yourself. As an outsider I see a 2 loss team that has played 3 ranked teams and lost 2 of them.

Obviouly I would defer to your vast knowledge of hoops since I'm not sure anyone watches quite as much as yourself. As an outsider I see a 2 loss team that has played 3 ranked teams and lost 2 of them.

Your counting a loss on the outside of the top 25, and yet excluding a 17 point road win over tje KenPom #18 St. Marys.

Based on what we ave seen in the past few weeks, Please list the teams in the country you would predict to do as well as Gonzaga in the following road slate:

Washington State
Oklahoma State
Butler
St. Marys
BYU
Santa Clara

Gonzaga lost once, and they were jobbed by the refs on the last play against Butler.

The following is a list of the teams I think would not lose a single time to the above teams on the road:

Wazzou is 11-17, Okie State is an impressive win, Butler was an L, St Mary's is 25-5 and hasn't beaten anyone of note, BYU is 20-9 "", Santa Clara is 20-9 "".

Iron sharpens iron, cupcakes don't sharpen anything otherwise Cuse would be flying high right now.

Illinois was thier toughest test, at home, and they lost by 11.

Your counting a loss on the outside of the top 25, and yet excluding a 17 point road win over tje KenPom #18 St. Marys.

I dont follow. What loss am I counting that I shouldnt be?

Im not saying they are going to go to the final four. All i am saying is that they have a lot of talent and have at least 2 nba players on their roster. This is not st joes of a few years ago ( albeit they were good too and almost made the ff).

I just jinxed them now and they probably lose to byu tonight

I agree with cto on this one. Wildest year for college basketball I can remember. I have no idea who is going to get to the Final Four.

With the owl avatar and the wisdom of this post, I was reminded of this classic commercial.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21362103432.098104.jpg

Im not saying they are going to go to the final four. All i am saying is that they have a lot of talent and have at least 2 nba players on their roster. This is not st joes of a few years ago ( albeit they were good too and almost made the ff).

I just jinxed them now and they probably lose to byu tonight

LOL. Yeah they've done what theyve needed to to get the #1 seed, I just see them as a bit of an unknown quantity.

gonzaga was expected to be really good since they were preseason #8. I could see 1 one seed, 1 two or three seed, 1 four or 5 seed, and 1 lower seed team making it

I dont follow. What loss am I counting that I shouldnt be?

I didn't think Illinois was in top 25? Perhaps they are now in and you are correct.