Clemson- 5.5
BC- 5
MD- 4
Pitt- 3.5
UVA- 3
NC St- 2
SU- 2
Wake- 1

Obviously FSU, Miami, and VT are the top of the ACC. Another thing that sticks out is how vastly overrated Clemson is as a program. In the past 14 years they have had ONE Top 20 finish. That is awful for a FB school. I also find interesting how well MD has done and how poorly UNC has done. Seriously UNC, ZERO Top 25 finishes!!?? Twelve of the 14 ACC schools have had a Top 25 finish and ten schools a Top 15. Outside of the top three teams and Duke, the other 10 schools are pretty balanced. Will be fun when we join.

With all those bought and paid for recruiting classes UNC had, how did they not break the Top 25 once?

And Maryland fires its HC.

Ugh.

It would have made sense if they did it after the 2009 season. From 2004-2008 (five seasons) he had a 33-28 record with zero Top 25 finishes and three losing seasons. Then in 2009 he went 2-10. But the 2010 season should have saved him as he went 9-4 and finished in the Top 25. Especially since MD hadn't finished in the Top 25 since 1985 before Fridge and that Fridge is an alumn.

It would have made sense if they did it after the 2009 season. From 2004-2008 (five seasons) he had a 33-28 record with zero Top 25 finishes and three losing seasons. Then in 2009 he went 2-10. But the 2010 season should have saved him as he went 9-4 and finished in the Top 25. Especially since MD hadn't finished in the Top 25 since 1985 before Fridge and that Fridge is an alumn.

He should not have been fired.

That was a bad decision.

The MD job is similar to the SU job in that the fans at MD do not understand the lack of football foundation that hinders the program.

Fridge squeezed a lot of success out of disadvantaged football program.

The MD job is similar to the SU job in that the fans at MD do not understand the lack of football foundation that hinders the program.

With all of the Under Armour money being pumped into MD, I'm not so sure that comparison is valid.

Under the right coach I think that UMD could really compete with the other NE powers like Penn State. They have all the assets: proximity to prime recruiting areas, a large and close by alumni base, a sugar daddy in Under Armour, and tradition.

With the right coach and system they could really blow up. Think of Oregon but with better access to talent.

He should not have been fired.

That was a bad decision.

Fridge squeezed a lot of success out of disadvantaged football program.

Agree with you that Fridge shouldn't have been fired. At least after 2010.

But I need clarification on the SU/MD comparison. Hate to use this cliche but Maryland truly is a sleeping giant. There is an abundance of talent within a five hour radius of College Park. The location and campus are also incredible. Except for the campus, SU can't compare to this.

Biggest mistake they made was hiring Edsall. If they listened to Kevin Plank and hired Mike Leach, MD may have finally started to tap into their potential.

[
Under the right coach I think that UMD could really compete with the other NE powers like Penn State. They have all the assets: proximity to prime recruiting areas, a large and close by alumni base, a sugar daddy in Under Armour, and tradition.

With the right coach and system they could really blow up. Think of Oregon but with better access to talent.

Sorry OZ, didn't see your post before I hit reply. Agree with everything you said.

Agree with you that Fridge shouldn't have been fired. At least after 2010.

But I need clarification on the SU/MD comparison. Hate to use this cliche but Maryland truly is a sleeping giant. There is an abundance of talent within a five hour radius of College Park. The location and campus are also incredible. Except for the campus, SU can't compare to this.

Biggest mistake they made was hiring Edsall. If they listened to Kevin Plank and hired Mike Leach, MD may have finally started to tap into their potential.

I have read that MD fools a lot of people.

Many, including many coaches, presume that MD has the necessary infrastructure and financial platform to compete on a high level.

And, that apparently is not the case - or has not been the case.

I recall some speculating that Edsall might have overestimated what MD brings to the table.

I have no first-hand knowledge on this issue - just what I have read on a few occassions.

With all of the Under Armour money being pumped into MD, I'm not so sure that comparison is valid.

That funding - whatever it is - is probably a recent development.

The information I based my post on came from articles I read at the time Edsall was hired and the Fridge was fired.

I think John Feinstein addressed the issue if I'm not mistaken.

Many, including many coaches, presume that MD has the necessary infrastructure and financial platform to compete on a high level.

I recall some speculating that Edsall might have overestimated what MD brings to the table.

I have no first-hand knowledge on this issue - just what I have read on a few occassions.

That very well could be true and be why they haven't "flipped the light switch". If they had gotten London, Golden or Leach I think big things could have happened but you're probably right in there are other bottlenecks not mentioned here. Better for us I guess.

That funding - whatever it is - is probably a recent development.

The information I based my post on came from articles I read at the time Edsall was hired and the Fridge was fired.

I think John Feinstein addressed the issue if I'm not mistaken.

I should have been more clear, because my comment about UA was intended to mean it was a recent development.

If Kevin Plank wants to turn MD into the Oregon of the east, as he suggested last year, I think that radically changes the footing MD is on (and makes the comparison to SU completely irrelevant).

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...hletics-maryland-special-teams-ralph-friedgen

I should have been more clear, because my comment about UA was intended to mean it was a recent development.

If Kevin Plank wants to turn MD into the Oregon of the east, as he suggested last year, I think that radically changes the footing MD is on (and makes the comparison to SU completely irrelevant).

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...hletics-maryland-special-teams-ralph-friedgen

The discussion referred to the treatment of the Fridge in the context of what the program was while he was there.

The discussion referred to the treatment of the Fridge in the context of what the program was while he was there.

OK, but you were using present tense to say that the MD job *is* like the SU job because of the lack of foundation.

It seems that having Kevin Plank toss money at the program strengthens that foundation, and that the jobs aren't really that similar, now.

That's all.

OK, but you were using present tense to say that the MD job *is* like the SU job because of the lack of foundation.

It seems that having Kevin Plank toss money at the program strengthens that foundation, and that the jobs aren't really that similar, now.

That's all.

Well, the Syracuse job is not the same job that it was just a few years ago - there has been more and more investment - Manley and the Football Complex - and there will continue to be more and more investment - dedicated indoor facility and Dome upgrades.

I really don't know what UA has contributed to the MD program at this point - other than the awful uniforms.

So, things are probably different than they were, but from what I have read over the years, the MD job has been consistently overestimated by many in the business.

True. My father in law is a huge booster for UMD. Every coach that has taken this job has said this. Williams told turgeon this on more than one occasion. Great talent around it, that's mostly doesn't care about UMD. This is a pro city. Kids don't relate to the school all that well.

True. My father in law is a huge booster for UMD. Every coach that has taken this job has said this. Williams told turgeon this on more than one occasion. Great talent around it, that's mostly doesn't care about UMD. This is a pro city. Kids don't relate to the school all that well.

I didn't think that I was imagining the situation.

I'm pretty sure that John Feinstein wrote about it when Fridge was fired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom