Finally rewatched Clemson | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Finally rewatched Clemson

Just to give an FYI from what Dino said in the pre game for NC. One reporter (Emily) asked about not challenging and Dino indicated that he always ask the official if they are reviewing the play. If the official says yes then there is no reason to waste a timeout. He indicated that all the plays in questioned were being reviewed so he never called a TO to ask for a review. Anyway, take it with a grain of salt. I am more curious was to why they threw three straight sideline bombs before the long FG attempt? All they need was another 10 yards to get into an acceptable FG distance. Dino and staff are really bad at game day management .
Yeah I heard that and that is crap. He obviously can't count on them and he shouldn't. They did not have enough time to review two of the sideline catches. Why do coaches have the ability to review if that is your stance. They were certainly not reviewed thoroughly. One by Alford was definitely a catch and the other by Hatcher would have taken many looks and angles to know. It looked like a catch but it was hard to tell if his toe touched before he brought it up again.

I don't think we can count on ACC officials to give us the benefit of the doubt against Clemson. Make the tv show the replay many times from different angles so everyone knows you screwed us. If we don't have our own staff reviewing these immediately to give Dino info and make a decision that is a fail.

Last edited:
Missed opportunities. Missed two interceptions, Missed two wide open catches.

Penalties not being reviewed and Dino not asking for a review. Three were probably going to go our way.

Shrader not being accurate with the ball.

Turnovers

Poor coaching decisions by Babers most notably not challenging and the horrible series that led to the 57-yard attempt.
I do wonder if Dino just doesn’t have the fire at this point in his career. It’s his job to challenge questionable or controversial plays!

The bigger deference is that when the Clemson QB ran he had time to move and look and make throws.. Shrader often is runnin for his life and little time to check over the field.

Pass routes help too.. Clemson had a lot of slow crossing routes and those are mostly what broke open on the scramble plays.. We run far less of those type plays.

I don’t think that’s accurate. The D schemed poorly and allowed him to move out of the pocket when we pressured him. He almost never ran to the outsides and made plays unless he was under pressure. Clemson was able to pressure GS from the outside. Forcing him to get through a hole and then to the outside or make a move to get outside. Our D gave the Clemson QB time to throw under pressure all game because we didn’t contain him. So he did have time to throw but not because GS was so much more under pressure in comparison.

The 2 that come to mind are Alford’s sideline catch and the lateral fumble that was called incomplete pass

I didn’t think it was a lateral but the angle makes a huge difference and I didn’t recall seeing more than one replay or a different angle to have an idea. I thought the Alford catch was a catch.

I get pissed during the game at calls but afterward I don’t typically blame officials for calls, after the fact. It is what it is. But in this day and age of calling penalties on any contact with QB (a little exaggeration) to overturn that call after viewing it, makes no sense at all. Just mind boggling.

and Clemmy receivers got open for Clubstick on scambles. That second (and related) difference - being able (or not) to hit receivers under pressure - was the deciding factor. The announcers commented on it several times ... when Shrader was in trouble our WR's didn't scramble to get open. They just let him eat it. The 'good' news is that it's something that can be improved, along with (finally) a viable TE threat.
We have been poor at this since Amba ET and Phillips left.

The 2 that come to mind are Alford’s sideline catch and the lateral fumble that was called incomplete pass
Did Alford protest the call, I don’t know? If he thought it was a catch he should have told Dino to appeal.

I do wonder if Dino just doesn’t have the fire at this point in his career. It’s his job to challenge questionable or controversial plays!

33d2f57b-b272-4fb9-bcac-866631a2d6de-jpeg.231891

Looks to me like the man in this picture has plenty of fire in his belly.

To challenge a call the coach must call a timeout. The refs will review the call during the timeout. If the call is overturned, the coach gets his timeout back. If the call is upheld, the coach loses the timeout. Each team gets one of these challenges a game.

In a recent press conference Dino explained how he often asks the refs if a play is being reviewed (independently and without the need for the coach to call a time out) and often the refs tell him something to the affect that “the play is being looked at, don’t waste your timeout”. We can argue about if Syracuse uses their timeouts well or not, but I think we would all agree that timeouts are valuable and not to be wasted.

Of course, if the refs don't tell the coach they are already reviewing the play, then the coach has to decide does he use the challenge now or save it for what could be a more important play later in the game. You never know. These decisions are made in real time and coaches in the box don't always have the benefit of being able to see replays before making one of these decisions.

Personally, I don't want a coach ranting and racing up and down the sidelines the way Schiano did in 2021.

Every week at every level of football referees make some terrible calls and some horrendous “no calls”. It sure as heck can be frustrating, but it’s part of the human element of the game.

Last edited:
Missed opportunities. Missed two interceptions, Missed two wide open catches.

Penalties not being reviewed and Dino not asking for a review. Three were probably going to go our way.

Shrader not being accurate with the ball.

Turnovers

Poor coaching decisions by Babers most notably not challenging and the horrible series that led to the 57-yard attempt.

Which three? The refs have someone who reviews everything in real time and they buzz down for reviews

Edit - SU Dad said it far better than me

I was in the Dome Saturday, great atmosphere. Side note, I was watching ACC PM today and the sideline reporter for the game described the Dome as “deafening.” He said he was surprised we ever lose there. Anyway, I thought we played like the tougher team in the first half. Defense really laid some hits and held tough. Too many mistakes and some ticky tack flags thrown. It’s hard to see sideline plays from the stands, but that Wax flag was rough. He knows better, but I couldn’t believe a flag was thrown after watching on TV. Even the announcer seemed flabbergasted.

Villari looked excellent, could be a huge development moving forward. It’s a really frustrating loss because I really don’t think Clemson is better than us this year. We should have stuck with the ground game, it was working. Seemed like every time we’d break two runs, we’d revert to deep sideline throws.

I will say I’m slightly more encouraged after watching the replay than I felt leaving the Dome. I was also boozed up at that point and just pissed we blew that opportunity. I’m bullish on the D giving us a chance this week against UNC as I think we score 30 or more.

will never understand the obsession with outside the numbers throws. How many catches did we have out of bounds 3 or 4 in a 10 min span? it had to break a national record.

we also have historically had success with plays in the middle of the field on the super rare occasions we use the whole field.

Just to give an FYI from what Dino said in the pre game for NC. One reporter (Emily) asked about not challenging and Dino indicated that he always ask the official if they are reviewing the play. If the official says yes then there is no reason to waste a timeout. He indicated that all the plays in questioned were being reviewed so he never called a TO to ask for a review. Anyway, take it with a grain of salt. I am more curious was to why they threw three straight sideline bombs before the long FG attempt? All they need was another 10 yards to get into an acceptable FG distance. Dino and staff are really bad at game day management .
Dino is a terible game day coach. Bad decisions are his norm.

EXACTLY!!! A few times they showed endzone shots looking up the field when SHrader was forced out of the pocket and the receivers were totally ineffective in getting open...they finished running a route and pulled up...
Unlike the people Eric had the bowl game he ran all over, and Neal came all the way back, for a shovel pass he took 42 yards.
Also I think his freshman year backed up to our end zone, Eric running all over Estime came back caught the pass and went 80+ yards for a TD.
Nothing like that on this team, hope they get there.

I don’t think that’s accurate. The D schemed poorly and allowed him to move out of the pocket when we pressured him. He almost never ran to the outsides and made plays unless he was under pressure. Clemson was able to pressure GS from the outside. Forcing him to get through a hole and then to the outside or make a move to get outside. Our D gave the Clemson QB time to throw under pressure all game because we didn’t contain him. So he did have time to throw but not because GS was so much more under pressure in comparison.
I think their pressure got home a little quicker than ours when not sending high numbers but ours did pretty well too. Keeping containment is the key there. We didn't do well at that. But not sure we knew that was going to be such an issue with him. He doesn't have a ton of game film so not sure if he has been excelling at that or is just now starting to.

How much of those bombs are on the coaches and how much of that is on Shrader. Did everyone run a go route? Did Shrader have other options but decided to take the one with the most risk? The players need to have situational awareness too.

How much of those bombs are on the coaches and how much of that is on Shrader. Did everyone run a go route? Did Shrader have other options but decided to take the one with the most risk? The players need to have situational awareness too.
When you look at the replies of those series, not one WR was in a short route of 15 yards or less. This one is on Beck.

When you look at the replies of those series, not one WR was in a short route of 15 yards or less. This one is on Beck.
I’m starting to get the same feeling I had with the mcF-it bubble screen obsession. Hope that feeling goes away.

I didn’t think it was a lateral but the angle makes a huge difference and I didn’t recall seeing more than one replay or a different angle to have an idea. I thought the Alford catch was a catch.

I get pissed during the game at calls but afterward I don’t typically blame officials for calls, after the fact. It is what it is. But in this day and age of calling penalties on any contact with QB (a little exaggeration) to overturn that call after viewing it, makes no sense at all. Just mind boggling.
what’s pissing me off is that against the “somebodies” in the ACC it seems like the “controversial calls” go against us almost every single time.

I mean - see last year’s Clemson game with that sideline hit call. The illegal man downfield call that cost us the game a few years ago, etc. It’s always something and it always goes against us.

Did Alford protest the call, I don’t know? If he thought it was a catch he should have told Dino to appeal.
I agree if you think it was a catch you should tell the coaches. But he likely may not have seen himself where his toe touched.

I agree if you think it was a catch you should tell the coaches. But he likely may not have seen himself where his toe touched.
My concern is he trapped the ball against the ground. The replay angle I saw is from his back and doesn’t show.

My concern is he trapped the ball against the ground. The replay angle I saw is from his back and doesn’t show.
Shouldn't matter if he had possession before hitting the ground as long as he didn't lose it after going to the ground.

Shouldn't matter if he had possession before hitting the ground as long as he didn't lose it after going to the ground.
That’s what I am talking about, not having full possession. He may have, the replay I saw doesn’t show either way.

what’s pissing me off is that against the “somebodies” in the ACC it seems like the “controversial calls” go against us almost every single time.

I mean - see last year’s Clemson game with that sideline hit call. The illegal man downfield call that cost us the game a few years ago, etc. It’s always something and it always goes against us.

Why would the refs favor Clemson, who can't make the playoff this year and is threatening to leave the conference?

Why would the refs favor Clemson, who can't make the playoff this year and is threatening to leave the conference?
Maybe it’s not a conscious decision but an unconscious one?

Like, in the heat of the moment when you have to make a high pressure and quick decision, you tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the better team and program.

Refs are sports fans too. If they think we’re scrubs, maybe that reflects in some of their calls? Like, they assume the “better team” must be in the right on the close calls?

I've seen people say this but it doesn't make sense. I think they would do it with the hope that it somehow keeps them in the conference. Should they stop showing favor now in hopes to get them to stay?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom