NCAA, power conferences agree to allow schools to pay players | Syracusefan.com

NCAA, power conferences agree to allow schools to pay players

Dcuse

All Conference

I don't have the mental fortitude or smarts to get through all the detail of this but it gives me hope at least for the future of Syracuse sports and college sports in general.
I haven't looked at this closely but on the surface, it does seem the non P5 conferences are getting a raw deal. Getting asked to cover %60 of the cost seems unfair.

Maybe they should use the same formula used to split up the profits from the new college football playoff instead?

But the SEC and B1G see getting paid and making payments as totally separate things.

This sounds like a disaster. School athletic departments are gonna go bankrupt with the terms of this settlement.. Why does anyone think this is a good idea? I understand revenue sharing for athletes going forward, but pay for athletes who are long gone makes zero sense. NCAA rules had forbidden it.

This sounds like a disaster. School athletic departments are gonna go bankrupt with the terms of this settlement.. Why does anyone think this is a good idea? I understand revenue sharing for athletes going forward, but pay for athletes who are long gone makes zero sense. NCAA rules had forbidden it.
They are in the group that were denied the right to earn and play (likely dating back to the first winning case). Lawsuits always award people who have already been damaged.
Then, part of the overall settlement is some type of revenue sharing, but without a union representing the now and future athletes, I don’t see how that’s binding.

I mean, it's not really an "idea". It's a settlement for a case that they would 100% lose. This was always going to happen one way or another

They are in the group that were denied the right to earn and play (likely dating back to the first winning case). Lawsuits always award people who have already been damaged.
Then, part of the overall settlement is some type of revenue sharing, but without a union representing the now and future athletes, I don’t see how that’s binding.
It’s going to be the fans, taxpayers paying.

If this goes to trial the NCAA will lose and the damages might be 9-10X what they've agreed to pay via the settlement. Plus they'd be obligated to pay those damages all at once, vs. the structured timeline that's been agreed to.

The "disaster" happened a few years ago. They're mitigating the harm now.

And despite all that, this is still better than what was going on before.

Better for the players, no doubt about that. However, I completely agree with Sherman20's sentiment relative to the fans, etc.

As in any and all negotiating, etc., whomever possesses better leverage has the advantage and upper hand. Currently, it's the young adult players. It's kind of incredulous really how in such a relatively short period of time, the pendulum has shifted so dramatically.

It's said that timing in life is everything, well, it certainly rings true for the modern day young adult who plays a game at an above average level clip. One, whom otherwise/in the moment, maintains very limited other tangible life skills.

Again, no doubt, good for them. Ride the wave for as long as it lasts...eventually that perfect storm type wave will diminish to calmer seas.

All Division I athletes dating back to 2016 are eligible to receive a share as part of the settlement class. In exchange, athletes cannot sue the NCAA for other potential antitrust violations and drop their complaints in three open cases -- House v. NCAA, Hubbard v. NCAA and Carter v. NCAA.

The settlement terms must be approved by Judge Claudia Wilken, who is presiding over all three cases. That process is expected to take several months, and sources said schools likely will begin sharing revenue in fall 2025. The NCAA's Board of Governors and leaders from the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, SEC and Pac-12 voted to accept the general terms laid out in a 13-page document.

The settlement terms provide a 10-year window to fully pay out the $2.7 billion. Berman said each player in the class will get an annual check worth 10% of the money they are owed. He said Wilken will approve how much money will go toward attorneys' fees.

Several athletic directors told ESPN that they are hopeful the settlement lays the groundwork for a system where success on the field is less dependent on which schools can spend the most money. Sources said some of the challenges to solve include figuring out how to distribute the revenue share money in a way that meets market needs while complying with Title IX laws and if schools can regain control of the marketplace for college athletes, which has been outsourced during the last three years to a group of booster collectives, who pay athletes via name, image and likeness endorsement deals.

When does CBA, Unionize, Salary Caps, Revenue Sharing, Benefits and ... begin?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom