NCAA to Allow Schools to Pay Athletes | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

NCAA to Allow Schools to Pay Athletes

Many club teams usually have to pay for the use of facilities.

I'd still expect the "worst" D-1 team to manhandle any MCLA or NCLL team.
Key word is 'team' one gets to use facilities that cost tens of millions while the other has to pay for use. Doesn't mean the club team doesn't have 2-3 players easily good enough to be D1 that are likely better than the bottom half of the D1 roster.

And on the topic of club lacrosse I am a former goalie it really wasn't that fun having balls whipped at you in practice in HS sure games were different and an adrenaline rush but anyone who signs up for that in college without a scholarship is out of their minds. It is astounding that these clubs teams even exist and are able to find any goalies lol.

If I'm reading this right, Title IX requires the percentages of male and female athletes to be proportionate to the percentages of male and female students enrolled. For example if 52% of the students are women the number of women athletes must be 52% of total athletes? If you assume football will continue at 85 scholarships that means there would have to be slightly more women's scholarships even if all other men's programs were dropped. In short, there would have to be a lot of women's Olympic sports teams.
Isn't football exempt from Title IX and just has to be offset with 1-2 womens teams? Not 85 female scholarships?

Isn't football exempt from Title IX and just has to be offset with 1-2 womens teams? Not 85 female scholarships?
There is no football exemption and it applies to all interscholastic, club and intramural sports

There is no football exemption and it applies to all interscholastic, club and intramural sports
Correct. It is not exempt. It's the 85-scholarship elephant sitting in the corner of the room that no one wants to discuss. Sen. John Tower (R-TX) tried to get FB exempted before Title IX was finally enacted, but could get no co-sponsors or any sort of support for his effort.

I wonder if Syracuse will have issues paying for the 22 million plus scholarships for all athletes. That may add up to close to 44 million a year. 73,000 dollar tuition for every athlete? Can Syracuse afford that?

Interesting is that NIL is not “Tax Exempt”, meanwhile school donations are “Tax Exempt”. Seems like that will be an easier way of collecting money from donors, now that these can be tax exempt payments.

Ultimately, I wonder how many schools will be able to go all in with the payments and scholarships and what schools may hold back and only go half in.

I wonder if Syracuse will have issues paying for the 22 million plus scholarships for all athletes. That may add up to close to 44 million a year. 73,000 dollar tuition for every athlete? Can Syracuse afford that?

Interesting is that NIL is not “Tax Exempt”, meanwhile school donations are “Tax Exempt”. Seems like that will be an easier way of collecting money from donors, now that these can be tax exempt payments.

Ultimately, I wonder how many schools will be able to go all in with the payments and scholarships and what schools may hold back and only go half in.
That is the million dollar question. I still think this ends up like baseball - some schools will fund for the major leagues, others will fund at a AAA level, others a Double A, etc.

Personally I don't see SU investing in the top tier for football specifically when all is said and done.

That is the million dollar question. I still think this ends up like baseball - some schools will fund for the major leagues, others will fund at a AAA level, others a Double A, etc.

Personally I don't see SU investing in the top tier for football specifically when all is said and done.
Some years ago, UVa's Athletic Department was facing a HUGH! (as we say on our board) funding problem. They decided to divide the sponsored sports into funding tiers. Football was Tier 0, we'd spend whatever was needed to be competitive. Both basketball, soccer, and lacrosse teams were Tier 1, they'd be funded to compete for national championships. Tier 2 was "funded to be competitive for ACC championships," Tier 3 was "funded to be competitive regionally, but not necessarily at a level to win championships," and Tier 4 was essentially "we'll have a team because we have to." We didn't have to implement the Tier system because the alums and fans ponied up and the much more serious TV money started to come in.

IDK if that solution is suitable for SU's situation, but your and a lot of other athletic departments are going to have to do a lot of deep thinking about priorities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom