First cuse game you remember watching? | Syracusefan.com

First cuse game you remember watching?

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
i was born in '79, i vaguely remember the championship game in '87, but the first game i really remember watching was when michigan came to the dome in '88 when they had gary grant. even though i loved syracuse i remember liking gary grant. also 1 of the earliest games i remember watching was when we played at kentucky with the blue unis which i think was '88 as well.

I was born 10 years before you and can't remember watching a game until we went to the Dome (grew up outside of Albany) to see SU vs. the Redmen with Chris Mullen. Don't remember the year but mid-80s seems about right.

I was born in 1978. My first memories of watching SU basketball was the 1986 BET when we beat G-Town and lost to St. John's in the Finals. The first game I went to, if my memory serves me correctly, was the SU Navy game in the tournament when David Robinson dominated us. I believe we played Navy earlier that year in the dome and beat them pretty well, but I don't remember for sure.

Watching as in being at the game? If so, circa early '70's watching Bill Smith, Kid Kohls, et al. First "real" game was the St. John's game, aka the St, Valentine's Day Massacre. We beat them and Mike Lee, upon fouling out, did his best George Jackowenko impression and kicked the ball into the stands. Both refs missed it. After that, hooked. For. Life.

http://books.google.com/books?id=kd...sketball st. valentine's day massacre&f=false

2003 national championship. As a high school freshman in NJ I never really followed college basketball. After that game, I was hooked.

Put it this way, after watching that game I was probably the only freshman who knew exactly where I would be going to college.

i was born in '79, i vaguely remember the championship game in '87, but the first game i really remember watching was when michigan came to the dome in '88 when they had gary grant. even though i loved syracuse i remember liking gary grant. also 1 of the earliest games i remember watching was when we played at kentucky with the blue unis which i think was '88 as well.

I was born in 1970. I do not remember any of the NCAA 1975 FF run as I was only 4 years old. My first game live was Manley 1978 against Iona I do remember that. This was also the first year I actually followed the NCAA tournament. The game that I actually became obsessed with Syracuse basketball was in 1980 when we beat Purdue at Purdue (who had Joe Barry Carroll and Rosie Bouie ate him for lunch). I had a hockey game in Cortland and we stayed in the parking lot and put a transistor radio on top of my dads car and stood outside the car and listened to that entire game. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Once we got to the Dome I went to most games, especially starting in like 1983. How times have changed. I took my son when he was 3 for the first time and he is now 12 and has attended close to 100 games in his lifetime.

I was born in 1965 and remember watching a lot of games of Marty Headd, Dale Shackelford, Marty Byrnes and of course two Louis and Bouie. The games I can still remember being at are Pearls half court buzzer shot against BC (in 1985 I think) and the Navy game against David Robinson in 1986, which was 7 days after my father passed away on his way home from the BE tournament.

I was born in 1978. My first memories of watching SU basketball was the 1986 BET when we beat G-Town and lost to St. John's in the Finals. The first game I went to, if my memory serves me correctly, was the SU Navy game in the tournament when David Robinson dominated us. I believe we played Navy earlier that year in the dome and beat them pretty well, but I don't remember for sure.

Uh, just look at my avatar...I was at both of those games.

First game I watched was the 1975 Regional Semi against UNC.

First game attended was in 1977 against Niagara.

I was born in 1970. I do not remember any of the NCAA 1975 FF run as I was only 4 years old. My first game live was Manley 1978 against Iona I do remember that. This was also the first year I actually followed the NCAA tournament. The game that I actually became obsessed with Syracuse basketball was in 1980 when we beat Purdue at Purdue (who had Joe Barry Carroll and Rosie Bouie ate him for lunch). I had a hockey game in Cortland and we stayed in the parking lot and put a transistor radio on top of my dads car and stood outside the car and listened to that entire game. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Once we got to the Dome I went to most games, especially starting in like 1983. How times have changed. I took my son when he was 3 for the first time and he is now 12 and has attended close to 100 games in his lifetime.

Against the Jeff Ruland led Iona Gaels in the Carrier Classic, I believe, along with Michigan State with one Earvin Johnson, who got the MVP over Marty Byrnes.

Born in '69, 1st SU hoops recollection was going to airport to greet the '75 FF team. I know I went to some of those mid-70's games at Manley, but they all blend in. My first true season I remember distictly was 79-80. Started with beating the Russians, knocking off Purdue on NBC, losing at ODU, 1st BE slate, "Manley officially closed" quote by a**hat, and a very dissapointing loss to to Iowa at the Spectrum (I remember my Dad getting a sales call in the midst of the game and telling off the poor soul on the other end - like he realized SU was on the air:mad: ). From there, Orange forever...

Against the Jeff Ruland led Iona Gaels in the Carrier Classic, I believe, along with Michigan State with one Earvin Johnson, who got the MVP over Marty Byrnes.

Actually it was the year after that. 1978-1979 season.

Now I have to edit my statement; I remember being at the Iona game w/ Ruland & the Magic game vs. Mich St.

Watching the final 5:00 of SU beating St. John's at Alumni Hall on a late Louis Orr layup. I believe it was 1979.

The first one I can remember was the first one I attended. 2005, SU vs. Notre Dame.

I was visiting Syracuse as a potential student and my dad bought tickets for the game that night (he's always loved Big East hoops so a visit to the Dome was a must). The attendance record was broken for the game so you can imaging my absolute awe.

Cuse won 60-57, the Loud House was rocking, and from that point on, I knew Syracuse was a special place and that I wanted to spend the next 4 years there... I'll never forget that night.

P.S. Being a relatively young board member, I come here in large part for the history lesson I get from a lot of you guys. Keep it coming and go Orange!

February 13th 1974. Syracuse played Manhattan and won. Danforth was coach and Dennis Duval went off for 30 points. I was a senior in high school and went up to Syracuse to visit my brother who was living in Booth Hall. (ergo my avitar) I ended up going to University of Colorado rather than following my brother up to Syracuse but, I was hooked on college basketball and Colorado had a horrible, repeat horrible team and program. I've been a rabid Syracuse Basketball fan ever since. Boeheim took over 2 years later and... well, the rest truly is history.

Born in 1953, first watched the cuse on tv in 1970. I think it was an NIT game against Michigan State. Arrived on campus in the fall of 1971 and don't think I missed a hoops home game in person during my four years there, culminating in the final four run in 1975. Drove to every away game that year except the final game in San Diego. Hooked for life.

Born in 1953, first watched the cuse on tv in 1970. I think it was an NIT game against Michigan State. Arrived on campus in the fall of 1971 and don't think I missed a hoops home game in person during my four years there, culminating in the final four run in 1975. Drove to every away game that year except the final game in San Diego. Hooked for life.

Syracuse got beat by Kentucky and then lost to a heavilly favored Louisville team in the consolation game. That was Syracuses best season in the modern era pre-Boeheim.

Watching the final 5:00 of SU beating St. John's at Alumni Hall on a late Louis Orr layup. I believe it was 1979.

I still remember Joel Mariness' call of the last play (paraphrazing) - "Eight seconds left, outlet to Hal Cohen with the tricky dribble across the timeline to Louis Orr for the driving layup - and one..."

The game after "Manley is officially closed."

first game watched and attended were the same. 1/28/1985 vs. Georgetown.

Ha, so I have heard from the old Manley Zoo'ers.
oh yeah. I'm older than dirt. I graduated SU in 74 and remember going to games at Manley when Manley had a dirt floor. That's right kiddies, Manley once had a dirt floor reminiscent of a circus tent with dust in the air. One of the reasons they called it the Manley Zoo. While I don't remember any single game specifically (which might have more to do with the 18 year old legal drinking age and sneaking in adult beverages than the games themselves) I got hooked on the energy of the players that fed on the energy of the crowd who gave the energy right back to the players. Hooked for life.

I know I watched games before this, but the one that really hooked me was the one against Tennessee where we blew them out and Moten set some kind of first half scoring record.

Chuck Gelatte hit a three.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom