First cuse game you remember watching? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

First cuse game you remember watching?

l971 against Rutgirls. Kid and Smith team. Very exciting game.

Im with tee - I was born in 83 and remember bits and pieces of the Indiana title game. The first game I truly remember completely was watching us play the hall when they had Terry Dehere. From then on I remember more and more. First time I recall watching them the full season was in 96. First game I attended was against the Hall a couple of years after that.. who was that one guy they had who always went off on us from three.. #15 I want to say kinda built like Vince Carter..

i was born in '79, i vaguely remember the championship game in '87, but the first game i really remember watching was when michigan came to the dome in '88 when they had gary grant. even though i loved syracuse i remember liking gary grant. also 1 of the earliest games i remember watching was when we played at kentucky with the blue unis which i think was '88 as well.
I go back quite a ways--although, I think I've read of two earlier fans.

Mine was in Feb., 1965. Bing and Boeheim as juniors. They lost to Penn St in Manley. The Nits had 2 guys who later played in the NBA, including Bobby Weiss, who also coached for a while in the league.

And Penn St. played a zone, which we couldn't crack.

I went to Cuse from 66 to 70. I don't specifically remember a first game, but I remember our Ernie Austin lead freshman team going 16 & 0 & subsequent shoot outs of Ernie lead varsity teams against Calvin Murphy lead Niagara teams. I think those Niagara teams also had Manny Leaks & were consistantly nationally ranked.

Colgate undergrad in 1969-70. Played at Colgate, SU had Bug Williams and company. Way too much for Colgate although our field house was packed and the place was loud...

forgot to mention, SU also had Denny Duval. I remember him looking like the best guy on the court that night.

Attended my first SU game before most of you were born -- and before Manley was built. It was December 1959 at the War Memorial, and the opponent was Cornell. We lost. And two seasons later, I was there for several games as we set what was then the all-time NCAA losing record. With a couple of hundred folks in attendance. Totally different world.
CTO, help my memory. I was one year ahead of JB and Bing. Could swear they were in Manley in 1962. I know I watched them then but was it in Manley?

Smacking Colgate 27-18 to clinch our first Championship.

I watched other games before this but the one that sticks the most is the cuse/illini game in the regional finals (89 I think). It was Sherman's last game. The strange thing is I was an illini fan, or so I thought. I was 10 and lived about 30 minutes from the U of I campus. My dad used to take me to games to cheer on the illini. Was born in CNY though. I figured out I was a cuse over illini fan when Illinois won I had to go into the bathroom to cry. Cuse proud since.

I watched other games before this but the one that sticks the most is the cuse/illini game in the regional finals (89 I think). It was Sherman's last game. The strange thing is I was an illini fan, or so I thought. I was 10 and lived about 30 minutes from the U of I campus. My dad used to take me to games to cheer on the illini. Was born in CNY though. I figured out I was a cuse over illini fan when Illinois won I had to go into the bathroom to cry. Cuse proud since.

i was 10 also for that game, thats the first tourny game i really remember watching and being in to. pretty sure it was easter sunday, remember watching at my aunts house.

Nick Anderson, Kenny Battle, Marcus Liberty, and Kendall Gill. A great team. My nephews went to IU, my sister to ISU, and I survived living in Decatur before moving to Syracuse. . I feel your pain. My family wears plenty of orange and blue!

In person? My first year at SU (JB's first year as HC) - 1976 (OMG). We had to pick up our tickets in Archbold Gym - they were included with your student fee, and allowed you into every game of every sport - all year. First home game that year: the Colgate Red Raiders! Free fries!

3 days later, JB had his first signature win - a 1 point win at Louisville. I remember sitting in a friend's dorm room listening to the game on WAER. We were sure we were going to get screwed when they announced the clock had gone out in the last minute of play with SU leading by 1. Rookie JB beats Denny Crum!

Nick Anderson, Kenny Battle, Marcus Liberty, and Kendall Gill. A great team. My nephews went to IU, my sister to ISU, and I survived living in Decatur before moving to Syracuse. . I feel your pain. My family wears plenty of orange and blue!

I loved Kenny battle. Hated Michigan.

All I remember is JT waving his arms and both parents yelling at the TV.

CTO, help my memory. I was one year ahead of JB and Bing. Could swear they were in Manley in 1962. I know I watched them then but was it in Manley?
Games moved to Manley in 1962 -- Bing and Boeheim freshman year. I was talking about 1959-61. Some really bleak years for SU basketball.

I can't remember the exact year, but Leo Rautins was the man. And being from the Great White North myself I thought it was pretty cool seeing a Canadian as a leader on a major college basketball team. Not too common back then

I was born in '76. I don't remember the first game I watched, but the first era I remember is the Wendell Alexis/Raf Addison teams. I really became hooked watching the Pearl years. The tourney run in '87 guaranteed I'd be obsessed for life.

Only a few here have me beat. December 29, 1967 against LaSalle in the ECAC Holiday Festival at old MSG. SU lost 78-68 but I was hooked. I was nine at the time. Vaughn Harper and George Hicker were larger than life to me.

In Rochester. ECAC?? Rosie Bouie signed my ticket that literally had half a loogie on it after I absentmindedly dropped it on the floor. 1975 or 76?

In Rochester. ECAC?? Rosie Bouie signed my ticket that literally had half a loogie on it after I absentmindedly dropped it on the floor. 1975 or 76?
Did SU win or lose? 77 they lost by one point, in the game where the Bona star had been arrested for shoplifting earlier in the day (Sibley's? McCurdy's?) and they allowed him to play anyway (Mike Sanders?). In 78, they beat the Bonnies by 10-15. Both in the Rochester War Memorial. I was in attendance for both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom