First deal of business with ACC money? | Syracusefan.com

First deal of business with ACC money?

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
upgrade the dome a little? weight room? new pee troths?

ACC money will take 5+ years to get to Manley. Increased donations and increased ticket prices will start much sooner (e.g. next fiscal year).

Also depends on when we actually enter the conference. The 27-month ball-and-chain must go away.

upgrade the dome a little? weight room? new pee troths?
Well, there is the small matter of the $5 million exit fee...

I asked this question on the Hoops board...what happens to our NCAA tournament credits, which are (IIRC) paid in arrears of 2 or 3 years? I have no idea what our credits amount to, but could we use them to reduce the out-of-pocket obligations of the $5M?

Another question about the credits - does anyone know the rules about what happens if a team leaves the BE with credits remaining? Will they retain the payments, or by bolting do they leave them on the table?

How about a raise and extension for Marrone and his staff as item number one. We need to lock this team in for the next three years or face a very difficult task of rebuilding in a new, stronger conference.

How about a raise and extension for Marrone and his staff as item number one. We need to lock this team in for the next three years or face a very difficult task of rebuilding in a new, stronger conference.

You're never gonna lock up a staff for a team that's succeeding. It's a good problem to have, but assistants will get poached for higher level jobs when they do a good job. Regarding Marrone, it'd be fine to extend him but that really doesn't mean a darn thing other than make us a little more money from a buyout. any job he would move up to take would be HIGH BCS or the pros...so buying out any contract is a mere formality.

Plus whatever payoffs are needed to reduce the 27 month exit period. And legal fees for the inevitable lawsuits.

You're never gonna lock up a staff for a team that's succeeding. It's a good problem to have, but assistants will get poached for higher level jobs when they do a good job. Regarding Marrone, it'd be fine to extend him but that really doesn't mean a darn thing other than make us a little more money from a buyout. any job he would move up to take would be HIGH BCS or the pros...so buying out any contract is a mere formality.

Advancement will always be possible, but to suggest you don't try to make it difficult makes no sense at all to me.

I asked this question on the Hoops board...what happens to our NCAA tournament credits, which are (IIRC) paid in arrears of 2 or 3 years? I have no idea what our credits amount to, but could we use them to reduce the out-of-pocket obligations of the $5M?

Another question about the credits - does anyone know the rules about what happens if a team leaves the BE with credits remaining? Will they retain the payments, or by bolting do they leave them on the table?
Unless the BE completely collapses and ceases to exist, any credits we or Pitt have won stay with it.

Link (Look for Basketball Fund)

Advancement will always be possible, but to suggest you don't try to make it difficult makes no sense at all to me.

there's nothing difficult about it, no matter what. marrone isn't leaving for a parallel job. better jobs mean he's going somewhere money doesn't matter (e.g., penn state as a random, not real example). and at lower levels, it does no good to hold people back who have a chance to go get promoted and make more money. that's what makes a place completely undesireable to work...particularly in such a fluid professional as college coaching. we only have 1 hc and 2 coordinators. if our hc isn't going anywhere and our coordinators have success, they're gone and they should be.

there's nothing difficult about it, no matter what. marrone isn't leaving for a parallel job. better jobs mean he's going somewhere money doesn't matter (e.g., penn state as a random, not real example). and at lower levels, it does no good to hold people back who have a chance to go get promoted and make more money. that's what makes a place completely undesireable to work...particularly in such a fluid professional as college coaching. we only have 1 hc and 2 coordinators. if our hc isn't going anywhere and our coordinators have success, they're gone and they should be.
So under your theory, money and stability means nothing to a coach and it is all about rising to better jobs? I'll respectfully disagree and cite Greg Schiano, Les Miles, Frank Beamer, Bob Stoops, Pat Fitzgerald, Bobby Petrino, etc. as current head coaches who have turned the opportunity to interview for "bigger" jobs in return for new contracts at their current institutions.

So under your theory, money and stability means nothing to a coach and it is all about rising to better jobs? I'll respectfully disagree and cite Greg Schiano, Les Miles, Frank Beamer, Bob Stoops, Pat Fitzgerald, Bobby Petrino, etc. as current head coaches who have turned the opportunity to interview for "bigger" jobs in return for new contracts at their current institutions.

You're sort of making my point. Head coaches are at the top so you can throw money at them to keep them in place if they're in a top tier job (stoops, beamer and miles). another batch of your examples are loyal to cash. schiano reupped and is vastly overpaid relative to his success. he really fd up by not leaving when he should have. petrino is an odd example, as he's shown himself to be loyal to nothing but cash his whole career. head coaches are in a position to be "loyal", assuming the cash is correct. assistants are not, however, and you've left that piece out. urban meyer's florida staff are head coaches all over the place now. nick saban's lsu staff are head coaches all over the place now. pete carroll's usc staff almost all had shots at being hc. that's the business and there's not stopping it. our dream should be that our defense is so good that shaeffer is a hot commidity in the offseason. that will mean we're really good, which is the point, no?

You're sort of making my point. Head coaches are at the top so you can throw money at them to keep them in place if they're in a top tier job (stoops, beamer and miles). another batch of your examples are loyal to cash. schiano reupped and is vastly overpaid relative to his success. he really fd up by not leaving when he should have. petrino is an odd example, as he's shown himself to be loyal to nothing but cash his whole career. head coaches are in a position to be "loyal", assuming the cash is correct. assistants are not, however, and you've left that piece out. urban meyer's florida staff are head coaches all over the place now. nick saban's lsu staff are head coaches all over the place now. pete carroll's usc staff almost all had shots at being hc. that's the business and there's not stopping it. our dream should be that our defense is so good that shaeffer is a hot commidity in the offseason. that will mean we're really good, which is the point, no?

You said people go to better jobs for advancement and better money and that it does no good to hold people back. I cited a list of 10 or so coaches who made the decision to pass up more the opportunity to interview for more prestigious jobs for stability and new contracts, which is what I'm suggesting we should do here (especially since DM is an alum).

no, they mostly stayed at top tier jobs for more money. there's not a job in the country at a higher level than miles or stoops and their schools can match any offer. that's not the case for marrone. no matter what su can pay him, psu or the equivalent can offer more and the buyout is a mere formality.

stability re: coaching is an illusion at any level. just don't waste your time on it...other than the hiring process upfront to get a sense of the level of loyalty. all bets are off once a giant offer is out there, though. plus you're not addressing the assistant point i made.

By the way, how much more will SU make each year with this move? Ballpark, even if there are still some uncertainties.

I dont believe this is the case Tom. Credits are due to the institution as well as the Conf.
You can believe what you want. Here is the NCAA's position:
The following policies also apply when a conference’s membership changes or realignment occurs:
a. If an institution leaves a conference and realigns with another and its original conference
remains in operation, the units it earned remain with the conference that it left.

This is straight from the NCAA's Revenue Distribution Plan, as linked by Tom above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom