First time we had more than 70 FG attempts... | Syracusefan.com

First time we had more than 70 FG attempts...

Yeah every time we weren’t in transition I was yelling NOOOOOOOOOOO

24 transition points in the second half. Let's keep that doing that!

Yeah every time we weren’t in transition I was yelling NOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm with you on that. I'm very happy with a win in Cameron, but there were a lot of one-pass-jacks in that second half that had me biting my lip. Still, like I've always said it's more fun to win a track meet than a rock fight. :)

We looked like the much better conditioned team. Zion was sucking wind big time, Duke rests on defense, wow - Paschal played 31 minutes and was so effective even more so as the game went on - Duke wore out. Battle looked like he was playing at hyper-speed blowing by Duke’s defense- fastest guy on the court today.

We looked like the much better conditioned team. Zion was sucking wind big time, Duke rests on defense, wow - Paschal played 31 minutes and was so effective even more so as the game went on - Duke wore out. Battle looked like he was playing at hyper-speed blowing by Duke’s defense- fastest guy on the court today.

Lots of little things add up. Pascal is more used to playing lots of minutes and paces himself a little better. He sticks with his job and that's it. And he's not carrying as much upperbody weight around, either. Zion has one speed, which is all out all the time. He spends a lot of energy, sometimes without results. That's why I said in another thread he's sometimes out of control. What the heck, he's a young guy. As well, a lot of others played more time than they were used to, and they weren't easy minutes, either. When Jones went out, there were a lot of guys having to make decisions and plays they weren't used to. And it was stressful because the game was tight. So, lots of little things. :)

Last edited:
If there's logic to SU's slow tempo in recent years (beyond my hypothesis of "I'm a professional who wants to micro-manage erratic college kids with crappy fundamentals," which I sympathize with), I don't get it.

If you stink at shooting and half-court offensive ball- and player movement in general, you've gotta maximize the number of shots you take. Take 80 attempts, make your season's average of 42% (they did better, barely, last night, with 43.8%), and you make 33 shots. Slow the game down, make your 42% on 57 attempts, and you're hitting 24 field goals and losing the game.

Last edited:

Duke definitely looked really winded towards the end of regulation. There was that one Chukwu rebound and putback where Duke just kind of stood around and watched him, and I just laughed.

This needs to be plastered all over the Melo center

tumblr_p0i2c0gA011wvg60fo6_500.gif

Yeah, Battle's a different player when he's got a head of steam. His change of direction is really good and he finishes well when his man is off balance. We don't take advantage of that enough, and once he gets some drives going his confidence shooting seems to go up too.

It's tough because it looks like minutes wise he's gonna iron man this season again, but we're different when he's charging down the floor. It's the first time this season I've seen an opposing defense have the "Oh shiz!" look to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom